Spring hanger advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    The V brace is simply a piece of 1/4" flat bar 1 7/8" x 6" bent to 90 degrees. See the attachment to post #10. The width is critical so that there is enough flex in the opposite side of the hanger to accommodate changing springs . . . so, don't use 2" flat bar. But, 6" x 1/4" flat bar is a common item. Any welding / fabrication shop can cut 1 7/8" slices off this. When I had these reinforcements installed (by LCI techs) they fabricated the parts as described. No need to order these from LCI.

Rob
    Couldn’t agree more that you can fabricate the vbrace if need be. Attached is the print on the part from Lippert. They spec 108 degrees now but I doubt it matters. (Edit add Not so sure it is easy to fabricate the hanger if you breakdown on the road.
    103727.pdf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wygieman; 05-21-2021, 01:55 PM.
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    MORryde IS, FlexArmor roof
    Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
    2017 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Comment

Could you also use a piece of 3x3x1/4 angle cut to the 1-7/8"?

Also, since its welded across the ends, then opposing sides to the hanger, that kinda fixes the width of the hanger. I can see the width being critical, but again welding both sides is gaping to take the flex out of the hanger unless you twist the supports to open them up only at the bolt.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

wygieman
        Great info with the LCI drawing. Thanks for posting this! The drawing probably came along when these became production parts for Solitudes. Good that this basically agrees with the parts previously fabricated by their own techs . I watched the LCI tech fabricate one of these in the vice on the back of his service truck. Good thing he used the 108 degree hammer to bend it .

Jlawles2
        A piece of angle iron would probably also work. The radius bend of the flat bar leaves more clearance to the spring eye below, than the corner of a piece of angle iron might.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          Could you also use a piece of 3x3x1/4 angle cut to the 1-7/8"?

Also, since its welded across the ends, then opposing sides to the hanger, that kinda fixes the width of the hanger. I can see the width being critical, but again welding both sides is gaping to take the flex out of the hanger unless you twist the supports to open them up only at the bolt.
          With reference to the details in the post 10 attachment, only one side of the reinforcement is welded to the vertical leg of the hanger. Inboard forward and outboard rearward (or vice versa). This reinforces the hanger without completely taking out the flex required for assembly. Note that the hanger is a "wide" fit to the spring bushing in the first place and the nut on the bolt has to torque against the shoulder of the bolt . . . not the hanger.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Just for completeness, Lippert print of the hanger.
            106185.pdf
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            MORryde IS, FlexArmor roof
            Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
            2017 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Comment

Cate&Rob Rob looking back at the picture you posted, there is only flex allowed in 1 place for compressing the hanger against the bolt as the other side is jammed against the brace. Again, the way I see it fixed, there is not much flex at the 1.5" hole space with 3" of total hanger width. If we look at the small side of the tolerance there is 1/16 of gap in 3" thus 1/32" of pay at the hole.

I can see where getting the proper fit between the brace and the hanger is critical, but I do not see how welding one side only is any better or worse than welding both sides. There should probably be brass or polymer shims between the hanger and the spring.

Welding one side may limit the flex, but does not stop the flex completely. More realistic is the fact that they have limited deflection to minimize or eliminate fatigue cracking.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

I believe the reason LCI welds one side or staggers the weld is to eliminate a consistent heat affected zone in the weld. So some flex will occur but the weld path is interrupted with this method.

Jim

Comment

Can someone provide a picture of the brace after installation?

Comment

Originally posted by Najataagihe View Post
                    Can someone provide a picture of the brace after installation?
                    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...nger-broke-off post #8
                    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                    Nash County, NC
                    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                      X