Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle Spring Hanger Broke off

Has anyone had this happen?
    We got home from a camping trip today, noticed the right rear axle looked out of place after investigation we found that the rear spring hanger on the right hand side for the rear axle was broken off the frame.

We have a 2017 303RLS 5th Wheel

Comment

303 Living -- unfortunately, yes, this has been seen before. There's a few members here that will be able to advise.

Cate&Rob
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

303 Living
        This is not an unknown problem. Several 303s have encountered this (including ours). There are several threads on this forum about this problem and what we have done to resolve it. The hanger should be completely replaced (not just repaired) and there is a reinforcement method called a “V Brace” or “V Clip” which seems to solve the problem.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob can you help direct me to these threads? what should I search for?
          It would seem to me that this would be a safety issue

Comment

Originally posted by 303 Living View Post
            Cate&Rob can you help direct me to these threads? what should I search for?
            It would seem to me that this would be a safety issue
            See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-busted-hanger post 7 for the “abridged” version of the V brace discussion. The rest of this thread is also related to your question.

Rob
            Last edited by Cate&Rob; 09-14-2020, 07:26 AM.
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

303 Living -- do an "Advanced Search" using the keyword hanger and limit the results to the Suspension channel. Unfortunately you'll find a lot of reading...

If you need help using the Advanced Search, there's an example in the Forum Use channel. Here's a link to the thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...hing-the-forum
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Here is a picture of the 'V' brace I snagged from a YT video. This was done at the Lippert Components facility by Lippert.

Mike & Lisa
                Central Florida
                2021 Imagine 2970RL
                1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Thank you all for all of the information and help.

Comment

Yes, October 2019 I had the exact same failure.

Packed up and left the campground after the usual pre-flight inspection. Two hours later I noticed the 2017 Reflection was not tracking straight. I stopped at a rest area and found both inner and outer right rear spring hangers snapped off the frame and the axle shifted to the left. The spring and hangers were lodged up inside the frame. This applied a lot of lateral pressure on the side frame member. I was lucky to find a heavy truck/trailer shop open 24 hours. It was clear to both of us the welds were poor. There was very little penetration on the welds of either plate. This failure mode could have resulted in tire failure or an accident. I documented this safety issue with the NHTSA. They are responsible for tracking safety issues.

Upon returning home from that October 2019 trip, I noticed the sheet metal warping at the RR corner. I crawled underneath and that corner had opened up where the side and rear frame members meet. We (myself and the dealer) suspect the spring and broken hangers lodging up inside the frame may have caused that failure at the RR corner as well.

A friend told me he met a Solitude owner that had the same RR spring hanger snap off. So, the failure mode may include other models. After seeing the welds on those spring hangers, I am concerned about the welds I can't see.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_ega View Post
                      Yes, October 2019 I had the exact same failure.
                      I noted this was your first post so welcome and thank you for taking the time to document your experience here on the forum. Unfortunately your trailer is not the first to experience this failure (nor, I'm afraid, the last).

When you get a chance, please check out the Welcome Letter so you know how to get the most out of your time here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Again, welcome!

Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_ega View Post
                        It was clear to both of us the welds were poor. There was very little penetration on the welds of either plate. This failure mode could have resulted in tire failure or an accident. I documented this safety issue with the NHTSA. They are responsible for tracking safety issues.
                        If you look carefully at the part of the hanger still attached to the frame, you will see that the welds did not fail, they are still in place. The breaks occur in the heat affected zone adjacent to the weld. This has been discussed at length in the other threads. This does not mean that this failure is acceptable . . . it is just not a failed weld, it is a fatigue break of the bracket itself.

NHTSA seems to take little interest in on-the-road failures on towable RVs. They have been notified of this situation and before this, a number of greased brake incidents. No replies to any of these reports (that I am aware of).

Rob

Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Why would manufacturers not install the V Clips or use other techniques in supporting the rear hangers on these rigs? Its ridiculous that we keep reading of continuous failures.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                            Why would manufacturers not install the V Clips or use other techniques in supporting the rear hangers on these rigs? Its ridiculous that we keep reading of continuous failures.

Jim
                            V Clip reinforcements have been added to Solitude . . . but, not to anything smaller (as far as I know). See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...aded-axle-mean

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

V Clip reinforcements have been added to Solitude . . . but, not to anything smaller (as far as I know). See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...aded-axle-mean

Rob
                              I am disappointed that my 2020 Solitude 380 FL does not have the V-Clips nor wet bots in the spring eyes.

George

Comment

Working...
                              X