Pin Weight 337RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pin Weight 337RLS

The specifications list the 2021 337RLS UVW at 10,697, hitch weight at 2,090 and GVWR at 13,995. The hitch weight is 21% of the UVW. Using the 20% rule, doesn’t that mean the “fully loaded” hitch weight is 20% of 13,995 or about 2800#?

I’m trying to understand what is needed for a truck to tow the 337RLS within specifications. Thanks.

Mike

The general rule of thumb is to use the GVWR rating which is 13,995 and 20% of that for the pin weight. The published "dry" weights are just that , the way the unit rolled off of the assembly line. This information is required to be printed on the sticker on the side of the RV , government rules maybe? By using the GVRW as the baseline you will be sure of the most weight the truck would be carrying from the RV if loaded to the max. Accounting for this in this way will help you not to become a member of the " 2 timer" club which some here are members of , bought the wrong truck first and had to buy another. When looking for a truck be sure and look at the door sticker for " contents of vehicle should not exceed X #'s " and remember to include everything that you add to the truck after purchasing. This sticker will show the number from delivery from the factory with no add ons after that.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Just for a point of reference. Our 2015 337RLS weighs 13,700 lbs and has a pin weight of nearly 3,400 lbs according to our weigh slip from RVSEF done at the National Rally in 2017! That's a pin percentage of 25%. Yup, you read that right. Now keep in mind we have an Onan generator if the front compartment but it will show you that those percentages can be misleading depending on how you're loaded.

BTW, we started out with a 3/4 ton and quickly moved up to a 1 ton to ensure we were towing within the trucks limits.
      Paul and Deb Cervone
      2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
      2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
      2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Mike Burns - your #s are pretty close.

Rob Second Chance full timed in a 337 for a few years and can share some real life numbers. Andi Andi and husband Mike Rudy have a 2018 337 and began full timing last year and can share their real life #s too. Both began pulling their 337s with GM 2500 series diesels and both switched to 1 tons as necessary to carry the loaded pin weight and additional weight inside truck and truck bed.

Hopefully they will chime in......thanks, in advance Rob, Andi, and Mike !

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
          Just for a point of reference. Our 2015 337RLS weighs 13,700 lbs and has a pin weight of nearly 3,400 lbs according to our weigh slip from RVSEF done at the National Rally in 2017! That's a pin percentage of 25%. Yup, you read that right. Now keep in mind we have an Onan generator if the front compartment but it will show you that those percentages can be misleading depending on how you're loaded.

BTW, we started out with a 3/4 ton and quickly moved up to a 1 ton to ensure we were towing within the trucks limits.
          Thanks, Paul - I was going to reference you as well as an excellent source but know you kinda are not as active on the forums these days.

Dan
          Dan & Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Thanks, Paul - I was going to reference you as well as an excellent source but know you kinda are not as active on the forums these days.

Dan
            No worries. I read every day but seldom post. So many of you are way smarter than I am. BTW, we're selling our 5th wheel as we bought a new Imagine XLS 17MKE! Should get it in a few weeks.
            Paul and Deb Cervone
            2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
            2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
            2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post

No worries. I read every day but seldom post. So many of you are way smarter than I am. BTW, we're selling our 5th wheel as we bought a new Imagine XLS 17MKE! Should get it in a few weeks.
              Thanks, Paul !

Now that's an understatement - you're once of the most knowledgeable, creative, and helpful guys we all have the pleasure to learn from, help, and finally meet in 2019. Yes, I saw your posts about the Imagine and why you and Deb made the change.....how much fun that will be . Look forward to your "Imagine posts" over the weeks/months/years ahead.

Dan
              Dan & Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                Mike Burns - your #s are pretty close.

Rob Second Chance full timed in a 337 for a few years and can share some real life numbers. Andi Andi and husband Mike Rudy have a 2018 337 and began full timing last year and can share their real life #s too. Both began pulling their 337s with GM 2500 series diesels and both switched to 1 tons as necessary to carry the loaded pin weight and additional weight inside truck and truck bed.

Hopefully they will chime in......thanks, in advance Rob, Andi, and Mike !

Dan
                Happy to chime in... we spent about 4-1/2 years full-time in our Reflection 337RLS (loved it and the floor plan, BTW). We had the second AC up front, but did not have a washer or dryer. We weighed once or twice each year and our gross weights were consistently between 13,175 and 14,180 lbs (about 400 lbs. of that was unsprung weight on the wheels from the MORryde independent suspension upgrade). The pin weight was always between 2,960 and 3,200 lbs. depending on how we were loaded at the time (most often over 3,000 lbs). We had a RWD Sierra 2500HD that had a lot of payload for a 3/4-ton diesel, but we were always right at the limit. When we were offered the opportunity to trade (even!) for a low-mileage DRW 1-ton, we were on it like flies on stink! We can now hoard toilet paper.

Rob
                Rob & Laura
                U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Thank you all for reinforcing actual pin weights.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Burns View Post
                    Thank you all for reinforcing actual pin weights.
                    One thing I forgot, Mike... the actual pin weights will almost always be more than 20% of the loaded GVW since propane, batteries, cargo in the basement, cargo in the front compartment, clothes in the closet, stuff under the bed and in the dresser, etc., are all about halfway between the front axle and the pin (in the case of the closet, over the pin). This will push the ratio to about 23% in most cases.

Rob
                    Rob & Laura
                    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

We have a 2021 337RLS that we pull with a 2021 Silverado 3500HD. Although I havent weighed it all yet I can say for sure that I wouldnt want to pull that trailer with any less truck than I now have.
                      My 2 cents, worth exactly what you paid for it.
                      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Nothing bad happens when the pin or hitch weight exceed some percentage as long as the weight on the hitch/pin are under the design limits of the hitch, frame and tow vehicle.

On the other hand too little hitch or pin weight leads to a really evil towing trailer and possibly a crash.
                        Colan Arnold
                        2016 Momentum 397TH
                        Full time since 2016

Comment

Took my fully loaded for camping 2021 337rls to the CAT Scale today. Wanted to see how close I was to any of my weights.

337rls loaded for camping.
                          Fresh water 2/3
                          Black and grays all sitting at 1/3

337rls weighed 12,500
                          Pin weight 2880 (23%)

My truck is a Ram 3500, 6.4 Hemi, SRW crew cab, short bed. 1/2 tank of gas and me and Mrs skreef. Air lift 5000 air bags inflated to 75 psi. Andersen hitch with red funnel to the back and top ball in middle position.

Front axle went from 4,160 to 4,100 so the air bags did a great job putting the weight back on the front axle. My front GAWR is 5,500 so good to go at the front end.

My rear axle weighed 6,080 with a GAWR of 7,000 so good on the back end.

My gross truck weighed (truck plus pin) 10,240. I have a GVWR of 11,000 so good there.

My combined weight was 19,800. My GCWR is 21,500. Good there.

Pin weight plus me and Mrs skreef, fire wood, full tank of gas plus any extra crap in the truck give me about 3,600 lbs of cargo. Fortunately my trucks yellow sticker shows a CCC 4,025.

Very pleased with the numbers. I hope this helps a little. The 337rls is not one of the really big 5th wheels but it is no light weight either. Glad I went for a 1 ton truck.

Charles and Susan
                          2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
                          Andersen Hitch
                          2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Working...
                          X