Repack wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    LCI (and Dexter) could save a lot of customer problems and probably save themselves some money by using solid spindles without zerks on RV axles.

Rob
    Yes, but these axles have provided a lot of interesting (and sometimes heated) discussion threads on the RV forums over the years. We would have missed those otherwise.

But seriously...........I know several folks that have successfully greased their bearings via the zerk fitting on the axle and have had no issues. Personally, I would never apply grease this way as you have no real knowledge of what's really going on inside the hub, with the amount of grease or the discharge of it through the back seal.

2020 Reflection 273MK
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Page 85 of the Dexter manual calls for a repack at 12 months or 12,000 miles.
      https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ice_manual.pdf

A "repack" should include removal of the hubs, inspection of the magnet and armature surface of the hub, removal cleaning inspection and repack of the bearings, lubrication of the pivot surfaces between the shoes and mounts. replacement of the seal and properly torqueing the spindle nut.
      Last edited by familytruckster4; 06-17-2022, 07:52 AM.
      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I just paid less than $200 to have mine done. The shop is a long, well-established automotive business recommended by a person with a number of different trailers including RV type. The reputation of this business is flawless so I trusted them to do it correctly. In the process they spotted broken belts in one of the tires and had the manufacturer cover 70% of the replacement.
        Bill & Cindy
        2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

Working...
        X