X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post
    Attached are two photos showing V clips installed by Lippert
    Hi Dave,

Interesting that your V clips are welded to the hangers on both sides. I have one like this (the replacement of the broken hanger) but the other 5 are welded on one side per the reason in the attachment to my earlier post. Both versions done by LCI techs. This seems to be up to the technician doing the job !

Rob

Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Attached are two photos showing V clips installed by Lippert in their Goshen, IN facility last week. I have the long hangers with Correct Track welded to the 2 inch spacer. Similar to what others have mentioned.
      Dave
      Dave, what did Lippert charge you for the V Clips?
      Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
      Demco Recon

Comment

I don't know if this is related or not, but thought the suspension-smart folks here would find this recall interesting: https://oemdtc.com/2715/suspension-s...ional-trailers (If this is totally different I'll move or delete this post from this thread--don't want to go OT.)
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard,

Its always good to have as much information out there as possible. Shackles that are too short would put undo stress on all the components on the center hanger.

I'm a believer in the MORryde X factor bracket on the center hanger since seeing the excess movement was an eye opener for me. V clips on the rear hanger should be considered on the rear hangers of heavier units since these can be highly loaded under heavy braking.

Jim

Comment

howson
            Hi Howard . . . there are two "standard" shackle lengths used on most trailer suspension. (2 1/4 and 3 1/8 if I remember correctly). GDRV uses mostly the longer ones, but some equalizer upgrades change to the shorter ones. The OE shackles are all very lightweight. MORryde makes an excellent heavy duty shackle upgrade kit which includes much thicker shackles and the required longer wet bolts plus bronze bushings. I don't think the hanger failure in this discussion is caused by a shackle problem.

Hi Jim . . . I agree that the rear hanger takes the most load during braking (based on earlier calculations and discussions) but this load would be in the fore/aft direction. From that LCI video on Youtube, it looks like regular travel causes a lot of side-to-side flex in the hangers, which is more likely to be causing the fatigue breaks. You are correct that most (all?) reported hanger failures are at the rear and usually the right rear. From the pictures that started the discussion on this thread, the failed hanger looks to be left rear, but initiated by something different than hanger bracket fatigue.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Interesting that your V clips are welded to the hangers on both sides. I have one like this (the replacement of the broken hanger) but the other 5 are welded on one side per the reason in the attachment to my earlier post. Both versions done by LCI techs. This seems to be up to the technician doing the job !

Rob
              Yes, I found that interesting too. The tech is used to doing this work, they add V clips to every job that comes in as a matter of normal practice.

It was $161 total. It only took an hour. The six V clips are only $17.70. I wish they were installed in the first place.

Dave

2016 Reflection 27RL
              2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
              B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Rob,

The rear hangers are being stressed in the fore aft directions where the side to side loads are mostly taken up in the center hangers since both axles terminate at the single center hangers. V clips IMO are only needed on the rear hangers where the X factor bracket will greatly reduce the side to side loading on the center hanger. The video that I took of my rig showed side movement in the center hangers only. I have the shorter non correct track hangers.
                From the LCI video, It proves that adding length to the hangers is never a good idea where the longer correct track hangers should probably have V clips added to all hangers which I believe you had done. Good choice.

Jim

Comment

My 2018 hangers are the 4 1/4” long hangers and after seeing the V Clip, really think it will be a good way to strengthen these long hangers. I do think GD should have done this anyway and it should not to be an aftermarket fix. But will contact Lippert to get these added to my suspension when I visit them next June in Goshen. Thanks for the info.

I am going to look at costs for the X Factor and heavy duty shackle upgrade by MorRyde. But would I also need to replace the Lippert Equalizer at this point too on a 2018?

Vivian
                  Last edited by Beachcamper; 11-04-2019, 08:07 AM.
                  Vivian
                  2018 Reflection 303rls
                  Demco Recon

Comment

Video of Hanger Flex and Braking Reaction . . .

For those who may not have seen the video that shows much of what we are talking about in this thread, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp5iRVPwYZg
                    This Youtube video was created by LCI, marketing their aftermarket add-on Equaflex and Correct Track components . . . but, it illustrates a lot more.

In the foreground at the start of the video watch the side-to-side flex of the hanger as they move down a normal road.
                    At about 2:28, watch the forward axle (to the right in the picture) lift to where the wheel locks up while the rear wheel is still rolling.

From earlier discussion about this, it would seem reasonable that since the front axle is carrying very little load during heavy braking, the rear axle is carrying most of the load. Since the forward attachment of the rear axle and spring to the frame has some ability to move/flex, it stands to reason that the majority of the load into the trailer frame during braking is through the rear hangers. This situation is made worse for those with EoH disc trailer brakes (like me) where the trailer braking system is doing far more of the combined trailer & truck braking than is possible with the original electric drum brakes.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                      I am going to look at costs for the X Factor and heavy duty shackle upgrade by MorRyde. But would I also need to replace the Lippert Equalizer at this point too on a 2018?

Vivian
                      Hi Vivian,

The short answer is "probably not" . . . the longer answer is that it is really difficult to assess the condition of the LCI Equaflex component without removing it for inspection. As to whether you should replace the LCI part with the MORryde equivalent, this is like the Ford/Chev/Ram discussion about which is better. Each manufacturer has data that says their product is better.

The MORryde heavy duty shackle kit brings with it all the best components. Much thicker shackle plates, bronze bushing and wet bolts. This is an upgrade that is well worth the money (in my opinion)

Rob

Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

For anyone interested, here are prices quoted for X Factor bracing and shackle upgrade installed at their shop in Indiana. For sure will get V Clips welded at Lippert and pondering this upgrade which I might do. Waiting for Lippert to respond to more questions on upgrading suspension.

If you do not go with one of our equalizer systems that automatically utilizes 2 ¼” shackles, we would need to know the length of your shackles from center bolt hole to center bolt hole whether they are 2 ¼” or 3 1/8”. The cost of 2 ¼” kit is $107.99, 3 1/8” is $119.99.

Each crossmember is $149.99

Thank you,

Ashley McClintic
                        Aftermarket Sales
                        MORryde International, Inc.
                        1966 Sterling Avenue
                        Elkhart, Indiana 46516
                        O: (574) 293-1581 ext. 1693
                        Last edited by Beachcamper; 11-04-2019, 12:45 PM.
                        Vivian
                        2018 Reflection 303rls
                        Demco Recon

Comment

For anyone interested, here are prices quoted for X Factor bracing and shackle upgrade installed at their shop in Indiana. For sure will get V Clips welded at Lippert and pondering this upgrade which I might do. Waiting for Lippert to respond to more questions on upgrading suspension.

If you do not go with one of our equalizer systems that automatically utilizes 2 ¼” shackles, we would need to know the length of your shackles from center bolt hole to center bolt hole whether they are 2 ¼” or 3 1/8”. The cost of 2 ¼” kit is $107.99, 3 1/8” is $119.99.

Each crossmember is $149.99

Thank you,

Ashley McClintic
                          Aftermarket Sales
                          MORryde International, Inc.
                          1966 Sterling Avenue
                          Elkhart, Indiana 46516
                          O: (574) 293-1581 ext. 1693
                          I had a buddy that is an iron worker come and bail me out when my hanger broke 20 miles from home. We jacked it up in a parking lot and with a come along we were able to pull it back into place and get it welded together enough to get home. Once we were home and had some time we boxed in all the hangers (before we knew about the v clips), and installed the SRE4000 and shackle kit. The 4000 comes with the center xfactor piece, and I am hoping will give me piece of mind and some additional strength to the suspension. I have put on close to 10,000 miles since the upgrades and knock on wood no issues since. I would wholeheartedly recommend the upgrade. It is easy to do with a few floor jacks and some wrenches.
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Rob,
                            Every time I see this video I just cringe. In this case the add on correct track extends the hangers to lengths that are just out of control. However, even with this system if the center hanger was stiffened with the X factor bracket, it would be much better. This add on system really should be outlawed.
                            In my video below, the shorter center hangers are in bending. On a large screen with a pointer on the center hanger, you can see this motion at 2.06s. Also in this video at the end where a sharp turn can be seen, there is no flexing of any hangers since these opposing forces from each axle cancels out.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RhEKItnjCY

Jim
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-04-2019, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Yes, I found that interesting too. The tech is used to doing this work, they add V clips to every job that comes in as a matter of normal practice.

It was $161 total. It only took an hour. The six V clips are only $17.70. I wish they were installed in the first place.

Dave

I asked Lippert for pricing to get the V Clips and ask for more reinforcement to suspension, the quote was much more than $166. He also mentions an axle retro which I am trying to find out what he means. But for sure will be doing the V Clips or braces as they call them.

“we would be able to add the V-braces and axle retro (maybe) to this unit. The axle retro would depend on what is all in the underbelly area of that unit. Sometimes we can only add partial and some all. As far as cost goes it would be between 4-6 hours @ $125/h and about $200 in parts.”
                              Vivian
                              2018 Reflection 303rls
                              Demco Recon

Comment

I asked Lippert for pricing to get the V Clips and ask for more reinforcement to suspension, the quote was much more than $166. He also mentions an axle retro which I am trying to find out what he means. But for sure will be doing the V Clips or braces as they call them.

“we would be able to add the V-braces and axle retro (maybe) to this unit. The axle retro would depend on what is all in the underbelly area of that unit. Sometimes we can only add partial and some all. As far as cost goes it would be between 4-6 hours @ $125/h and about $200 in parts.”
                                The estimate they gave me beforehand was "about" $400. They asked for photos, so they knew what they were dealing with. But they were able to do it in an hour, and charged accordingly.
                                Good luck with this.

Dave
                                2016 Reflection 27RL
                                2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                                B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Working...
                                X