Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MORryde's IS (Option to OEM?)

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
    ...not excited for my future travels in this or any other trailer.
    EDIT: The first 9 posts in this thread were originally a part of the Busted Hanger thread. I moved them here (after inadvertently going way OT) to their own thread for your consideration. -Moderator Howard

Sums up how I felt, too. I'd read too many posts on forums, Facebook and in a video (Marc from Keep Your Daydream had an axle bend) to trust the suspension on my trailer. Even our very own TucsonJim is now on his second axle problem! My unscientific conclusion is the suspension's not sufficient for those of us that will actually tow our campers a lot of miles.

Given that I plan to keep my 315RLTS for as long as it will hold together (10 yrs?) and I plan on towing it all over the US--including Alaska--I spent the $$$$$ and got MORryde's IS suspension installed after the rally this year. Second Chance has had the IS on his 303 for years. (Rob, would you still get it again?)

MORryde's solution is not perfect. It's very expensive and it is h-e-a-v-y. So far I'm very pleased with it, though, as I no longer wince every time I hit something hard while towing my trailer on the obstacle courses we called "interstates".

Click image for larger version  Name:	02 Dexter Axles (Medium).jpg Views:	0 Size:	163.0 KB ID:	6304

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190904_164034 (Medium).jpg Views:	0 Size:	152.7 KB ID:	6305
    Last edited by howson; 12-02-2020, 06:09 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Howson, I looked at the IS but other than cost it is heavy and the 303 already has lower carrying capacity for fulltiming. I do not plan on keeping this unit for 10 years as I like to trade every 4-5 so it would not be cost effective for me. Might look into better designed suspensions on other brands to see if maybe I should consider another brand for the next trade. But for now, will be researching how to make this one safer. I don’t trust it anymore.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Comment

Howson, I looked at the IS but other than cost it is heavy and the 303 already has lower carrying capacity for fulltiming. I do not plan on keeping this unit for 10 years as I like to trade every 4-5 so it would not be cost effective for me. Might look into better designed suspensions on other brands to see if maybe I should consider another brand for the next trade. But for now, will be researching how to make this one safer. I don’t trust it anymore.
      Right or wrong--and I'm sure there are many opinions on this--but I don't worry about the extra weight since it is not being carried by the trailer's frame. The weight is below the frame and is carried by the tires. The beefed up suspension frame looks like it is actually adding to the strength of the trailer's frame. I have no proof or technical expertise to back up that statement, so time will tell. I'll be sure to report here if I run into problems in the future. I have 2,621 miles on the IS suspension since the rally and so far it's met my expectations (except for the weight--which I can definitely feel from the truck).

FYI, the frame used on our trailers is made by Lippert. I suspect the vast majority of all of the frames out there are made by LCI. I really don't know if the frames are an off-the-shelf item or if Lippert manufactures the frame to a unique specification based on the GDRV model.

The axles are either Lippert or Dexter. Once you know what to look for I think you'll find the same components on almost every trailer in the same price range. I may be wrong, but I think the only component actually manufactured by GD are the walls. Everything else is assembled with components made by someone else.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

From what I understand, GD specs the design to Lippert who then engineers the frame to work with the specs. I will take another look at the IS never thought about the weight not being an issue for the frame. The Goodyear endurance tires on my unit have a carrying capacity of 3520lbs each. After weigh in my front axle is 4600 and back axle is 4650 which is below the 5200lb capacity for each by 600lbs per axle. Will find out how much the IS will eat from CCC
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Demco Recon

Comment

From what I understand, GD specs the design to Lippert who then engineers the frame to work with the specs. I will take another look at the IS never thought about the weight not being an issue for the frame. The Goodyear endurance tires on my unit have a carrying capacity of 3520lbs each. After weigh in my front axle is 4600 and back axle is 4650 which is below the 5200lb capacity for each by 600lbs per axle. Will find out how much the IS will eat from CCC
          If you use the CCC (GVWR) sticker (which I understand you doing)--don't get the IS. The IS adds 150lbs per wheel to the trailer's total weight. (8 Nov: I originally wrote 250lbs per tire--that was wrong. See post 16.)

I don't worry about the total weight of my trailer as measured on a CAT scale since I know before I start that it will be above the CCC. What I do is subtract 600lbs from what the scale reads to know what my frame is carrying. The total carried by the frame must (and will) remain under the sticker spec. (8 Nov: Again--I updated the number from 1,000lbs to 600lbs based on actual CAT scale measurement. See post 16.)

Again, I believe the IS is being carried by the wheels & tires. I have Goodyear Endurances, too, and I'm still within their load specification since I run them at 80 psi (3,420lbs per tire). Note I had each tire weighed (before the IS and fully loaded for camping) and the heaviest wheel/tire was 2,600 lbs (front, street). Therefore it should be ~2850lbs now. (At some point when there's an opportunity I'll have the wheel weights verified.)

I've already know that the tongue weight is not affected by the IS, which makes sense.

Let me repeat that my conclusions are my own "logic"--I have no engineering basis or expertise to back up what I'm writing. I could be completely, utterly wrong. Time will tell.
          Last edited by howson; 11-08-2019, 04:34 PM.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            ... Second Chance has had the IS on his 303 for years. (Rob, would you still get it again?)...
            Our current rig is actually a 337RLS loaded to 14,000 lbs. And "yes," not only would we do it again, but we're going to. We will be moving up to a Solitude 310GK-R first quarter of 2020 and I already have a route planned to see grandkids and friends in a couple of places on the way up to Elkhart. The IS (7,000 lb. units) and disc brakes added less than 400 lbs. to the total weight of the 337 - and that weight is on/in the suspension system and not on the chassis. Theoretically, it did not change the cargo carrying capacity of the trailer - I just have to keep in mind that I can fudge the GVWR on the sticker by about 400 lbs. if I need to... but I don't do that, anyway.

Rob

PS, Howard - did you account for the weight of the original axles, hubs and springs that came off when the IS went on? I think 1,000 lbs. is too high for the difference.
            Last edited by Second Chance; 11-01-2019, 10:29 AM.
            Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
            (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

Our current rig is actually a 337RLS loaded to 14,000 lbs. And "yes," not only would we do it again, but we're going to. We will be moving up to a Solitude 310GK-R first quarter of 2020 and I already have a route planned to see grandkids and friends in a couple of places on the way up to Elkhart. The IS (7,000 lb. units) and disc brakes added less than 400 lbs. to the total weight of the 337 - and that weight is on/in the suspension system and not on the chassis. Theoretically, it did not change the cargo carrying capacity of the trailer - I just have to keep in mind that I can fudge the GVWR on the sticker by about 400 lbs. if I need to... but I don't do that, anyway.

Rob

PS, Howard - did you account for the weight of the original axles, hubs and springs that came off when the IS went on? I think 1,000 lbs. is too high for the difference.
              Rob,
              Have you seen this thread? https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ts-post-1-of-3

Post #9 recorded my weight observation. I've gone back and looked at the numbers again just to make sure.

The highest recorded weight of my 315RLTS on a CAT scale, prior to the IS, was in Sep 18. The motorcycle was in the bed of the truck and we were fully loaded for a trip to Virginia. Tongue weight was 1420 and trailer was 9840 for a total of 11260. (I was 265lbs overweight.) For reference, the Gross Weight on the CAT receipt (truck+camper) was 21,700lbs.

After leaving MORryde I happened upon a CAT scale in Beaverham, Ohio while getting diesel so I took a few minutes to get the truck weighed. Again, the Goldwing was in the truck bed and the camper was (obviously) loaded for camping. The tongue weight calculated out to 1460. The trailer, 10820. That's almost exactly 1,000lbs heavier than it has ever weighed,and I've had my trailer across the CAT scale in numerous configurations no less than 10 times since purchase.

To the observant readers out there...yes, even after subtracting the 1,000lbs for the IS I'm still 285lbs overweight. <sigh>

Rob, if you want to double-check my math (I want to know if I'm wrong!), the tickets are below.

No Trailer Attached
              Click image for larger version  Name:	No Trailer.JPG Views:	0 Size:	240.6 KB ID:	6327

Trailer Attached

Click image for larger version  Name:	Trailer Attached.JPG Views:	0 Size:	235.7 KB ID:	6328
              Last edited by howson; 11-01-2019, 10:50 AM.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Rob,
                Have you seen this thread? https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ts-post-1-of-3

Post #9 recorded my weight observation. I've gone back and looked at the numbers again just to make sure.

The highest recorded weight of my 315RLTS on a CAT scale, prior to the IS, was in Sep 18. The motorcycle was in the bed of the truck and we were fully loaded for a trip to Virginia. Tongue weight was 1420 and trailer was 9840 for a total of 11260. (I was 265lbs overweight.) For reference, the Gross Weight on the CAT receipt (truck+camper) was 21,700lbs.

After leaving MORryde I happened upon a CAT scale in Beaverham, Ohio while getting diesel so I took a few minutes to get the truck weighed. Again, the Goldwing was in the truck bed and the camper was (obviously) loaded for camping. The tongue weight calculated out to 1460. The trailer, 10820. That's almost exactly 1,000lbs heavier than it has ever weighed,and I've had my trailer across the CAT scale in numerous configurations no less than 10 times since purchase.

To the observant readers out there...yes, even after subtracting the 1,000lbs for the IS I'm still 285lbs overweight. <sigh>

Rob, if you want to double-check my math (I want to know if I'm wrong!), the tickets are below.

Can't do it from those two tickets, Howard. The two tickets I would need would be the one with the trailer axle weight before the IS install and one with the trailer axle weight after the install. Subtracting the before-install trailer axle weight from the after-install trailer axle weight is all that needs to be done. Switching out the suspension doesn't affect anything except the trailer axle weights - everything else is clutter.

Rob
                Rob & Laura
                U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                Full time since 08/2015

Comment

The Sep 18 weights, With minor exceptions, this is the same configuration (motorcycle in bed of truck,etc) except for the suspension.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sep1.JPG
Views:	611
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	6337

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sep2.JPG
Views:	597
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	6338

Howard & Francine

Comment

The Sep 18 weights, With minor exceptions, this is the same configuration (motorcycle in bed of truck,etc) except for the suspension.
                    According to those two tickets, Howard, you are correct. This morning before we hit the road I did some "Googling" and found that the 8K IS units add about 640 lbs. Our numbers were in the 400 - 500 lb. range. I'm having trouble understanding how yours could have increased the weight of the trailer by 1,000 lbs...

Rob
                    Rob & Laura
                    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

According to those two tickets, Howard, you are correct. This morning before we hit the road I did some "Googling" and found that the 8K IS units add about 640 lbs. Our numbers were in the 400 - 500 lb. range. I'm having trouble understanding how yours could have increased the weight of the trailer by 1,000 lbs...

Rob
                      In actuality the IS added 800lbs now that I've given it more thought, Rob. The inverter system I installed accounts for 200 of the additional pounds (inverter installed after Sep 18). I know it's 200lbs since I weighed before and then immediately after installation with nothing else in the camper. I've looked back over my notes and there's nothing else that accounts for the additional weight other than the IS.

If you're willing--before going to MORryde get CAT scale weights of your Solitude. Then weigh it afterwards. I'd be very curious to see the before and after numbers.

Howard & Francine

Comment

... If you're willing--before going to MORryde get CAT scale weights of your Solitude. Then weigh it afterwards. I'd be very curious to see the before and after numbers.
                        Already part of the plan - but you'll have to wait until next summer for the numbers! We'll weigh at least once after we move our stuff from the Reflection to the Solitude in early March. I'll probably weigh again once we "settle in" - likely just before or upon arrival in Elkhart. Then, we will weigh again after the installation before any more on/off-loading. I could shim a landing gear with weight tickets from the Reflection. We had to be really careful before we got the DRW truck.

Rob

Rob & Laura
                        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Based on extra weight, I will not consider the IS for my 303 but would for future higher capacity rig. Question, how is this system repaired on the road? Easy finding anyone to change out springs and hangers in an emergency. But who will service the IS on road side?
                          Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Demco Recon

Comment

Based on extra weight, I will not consider the IS for my 303 but would for future higher capacity rig. Question, how is this system repaired on the road? Easy finding anyone to change out springs and hangers in an emergency. But who will service the IS on road side?
                            You need to look at the MOR/ryde site and learn about the IS. There are no "springs and hangers" as you know them. It is fully-independent trailing link suspension with rubber sheer springs and shock absorbers at each wheel position. There's not really anything to break in those assemblies. The bearings and seals are readily available anywhere and most certified RV technicians can replace and service those. The rubber sheer springs need to be inspected periodically and, if needed, they can be replaced by any heavy trailer or truck shop. The system is fully alignable using Hunter wheel alignment equipment.

Also understand that the weight of the IS does not go on the chassis nor count against your engineered cargo carrying capacity. It actually strengthens the frame because of the subframe fabricated during installation.

Rob
                            Last edited by Second Chance; 11-01-2019, 10:28 PM.
                            Rob & Laura
                            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Thank you, will look at this in more detail.
                              Vivian
                              2018 Reflection 303rls
                              Demco Recon

Comment

Working...
                              X