MORryde's IS (Option to OEM?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

According to those two tickets, Howard, you are correct. This morning before we hit the road I did some "Googling" and found that the 8K IS units add about 640 lbs. Our numbers were in the 400 - 500 lb. range. I'm having trouble understanding how yours could have increased the weight of the trailer by 1,000 lbs...

Rob
    To put it plainly, I was wrong and you were right, Rob.

I weighed the truck and camper today in a very similar configuration (with a few minor exceptions) that it was weighed on 25 Apr. That weigh was immediately after the inverter project install.

I'm calling the weight gain from the IS 600lbs. There is minor variance in the scale measurements and there are several items from the interior that were removed from the camper that were in it on 25 Apr.

Here's the numbers:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Numbers.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	6888

I find it interesting that the number of links used on the Blue Ox is less effective after the IS, though there still is some weight movement back to the front axle but not as much as before the IS.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

To put it plainly, I was wrong and you were right, Rob.

I weighed the truck and camper today in a very similar configuration (with a few minor exceptions) that it was weighed on 25 Apr. That weigh was immediately after the inverter project install.

I'm calling the weight gain from the IS 600lbs. There is minor variance in the scale measurements and there are several items from the interior that were removed from the camper that were in it on 25 Apr.

Here's the numbers:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Numbers.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	6888

I find it interesting that the number of links used on the Blue Ox is less effective after the IS, though there still is some weight movement back to the front axle but not as much as before the IS.
      Not a contest or debate, Howard. The important thing is that you have a better understanding of your numbers. I know nothing about the Blue Ox, so "mum's" the word for me on that one.

Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Just a quick question, which MORryde system should I consider for my 2019 Grand Design Reflection 315 RLTS? Oh Howson this is Doug Smith from the National Owners Rally in Elkhart Indiana.

Comment

Originally posted by tdsmith0715 View Post
          Just a quick question, which MORryde system should I consider for my 2019 Grand Design Reflection 315 RLTS? Oh Howson this is Doug Smith from the National Owners Rally in Elkhart Indiana.
          Hey Doug! Good to hear from you. I trust all is well with you, Gloria, & that big 'ol pup.

What you're asking is a matter of opinion. So here's my .02.

If a heavy trailer (like ours) will be parked for most of the time it is owned, I'd leave the OEM suspension on it and not do any upgrade.

If a heavy trailer will experience a few trips a year and the owner expects to keep their trailer a few years, consider the MORryde 3000 system. That system is now OEM from Grand Design on the big Momentums. (I saw it myself on the production line.)

For those that plan on dragging their heavy trailers over many, many miles the IS may be a consideration. Since my IS install (immediately after the rally) I've towed 4,600 miles.

Let me put this in a different context--why do we buy insurance? To cover us when something goes bad. I don't know about you, but I think I've used my policies two times my entire life. Low probability of use, but failure to have that policy when needed could be really, really bad.

That's how I view the money I spent on the IS system--like an insurance policy. Maybe the OEM (or a system like the 3000) would have been fine and I'd have never experienced a suspension failure while traveling. With all the posts I've read on multiple social media sites about suspension failures, knowing how I'd use my trailer and that I plan on having it for 10 years, I opted for the "best" insurance. (My POV.)

Finally, a bit OT, but if it came down to suspension vs disc brakes (due to having to prioritize $$)--get the brakes. The Kodiak's MORryde installed are fantastic. If you haven't read this thread, check it out: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...is-this-normal

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Hey Doug! Good to hear from you. I trust all is well with you, Gloria, & that big 'ol pup.

What you're asking is a matter of opinion. So here's my .02.

If a heavy trailer (like ours) will be parked for most of the time it is owned, I'd leave the OEM suspension on it and not do any upgrade.

If a heavy trailer will experience a few trips a year and the owner expects to keep their trailer a few years, consider the MORryde 3000 system. That system is now OEM from Grand Design on the big Momentums. (I saw it myself on the production line.)

For those that plan on dragging their heavy trailers over many, many miles the IS may be a consideration. Since my IS install (immediately after the rally) I've towed 4,600 miles.

Let me put this in a different context--why do we buy insurance? To cover us when something goes bad. I don't know about you, but I think I've used my policies two times my entire life. Low probability of use, but failure to have that policy when needed could be really, really bad.

That's how I view the money I spent on the IS system--like an insurance policy. Maybe the OEM (or a system like the 3000) would have been fine and I'd have never experienced a suspension failure while traveling. With all the posts I've read on multiple social media sites about suspension failures, knowing how I'd use my trailer and that I plan on having it for 10 years, I opted for the "best" insurance. (My POV.)

Finally, a bit OT, but if it came down to suspension vs disc brakes (due to having to prioritize $$)--get the brakes. The Kodiak's MORryde installed are fantastic. If you haven't read this thread, check it out: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...is-this-normal

Howard
            I think you've summed it up perfectly in terms of use and length of term vs cost. We opted for the MORryde CRE3000 and disc brakes for exactly the reasons you outline.

We recommend at least he disc brake upgrade to anyone who will listen.
            Last edited by JeffC; 12-01-2019, 01:00 PM.
            2017 310GK

Comment

Working...
            X