Reinforcing hangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinforcing hangers

In my research to beef up suspension for my trip out west, have the V Braces on list when I get to a Lippert in June for annual bearing maintenance.

Looked at the MorRyde X Factor brace and like the idea of something to reinforce side to side movements. I asked Lippert and they offer something called an axle retro. Here is what that is. Any thoughts on these upgrades as to which might be best?

“Axle Retro he is talking about is added tubing to the bottom of the frame and the new hangers welded to it along with cross tubing from side to side between the hangers for added strength.”
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

I purchased a Crossroads Crusier 5th wheel in 2010. I needed to raise the trailer a couple of inches to get it level with my truck. I called Lippert and they stated any welding on the frame, unless done by their people, would void the warranty.

I agreed and they did exactly what you mention. The Lippert tech moved the spring bolts to the lowest hole on the hangers. He then cut a piece of 2" square tubing that he welded to the inside of the hanger (between the 2 hanger arms) above the spring bolt. He then welded 2" square tubing from one spring hanger to the corresponding hanger across the trailer. This was also done on the equalizer hangers. Three crossmembers total.

It was a fantastic beef-up job, and worked without a problem until I sold the trailer earlier this year. I would like to do something similar on my new Reflection, even though I don't need to raise it.
    2020 Reflection 273MK
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Glad to know your experience was good with this aftermarket suspension reinforcement. I do want to stick with Lippert on this. They are paying for my busted hanger incident and it’s because I go to them for service annually. It sounds pretty robust and not much more than MorRyde X Factor. Just wondering if the V Braces alone would be enough.
      Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Demco Recon

Comment

The only caution I would have is, welding a tube from one side to the other may cause an issue if there is work to be done under the trailer. On most of these units there are slide mechanisms that go thru the frame as well as a fresh water tank that is between the frame rails above the coroplast. Welding a tube from one side to another may hinder the removal or repair of these items.
        I am considering a bolt tube from one side to the other just for this reason.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks Brian that would be something I need to go over with them. I just got this email from Lippert and it further explains the work that will be done if I choose the option. Looks to me the tubing along frame bottom is not necessary only the braces and lateral support.

”Sorry to hear about your recent issue. You can certainly get the V-braces and axle retro added during your appointment here next summer. This would be lateral support above the axle hangers. The cost would be (depending on what obstacles we run into) roughly $716-$944 installed. I'm not sure about the addition of the tubing along the bottom of the frame. The only time that gets added on there would be if there is significant damage to the actual I-beam. That would be an additional cost though, because it would involve removing and replacing ALL of the axle hangers plus adding the tubing that could be around $400 in parts plus around $500 in labor on top of the axle retro. We would make sure that everything needed would be done and would go over it with you before hand. I can get at least the axle retro and V-braces added on the work order for you and we can assess whether or not you need the tubing added to the bottom of the frame, we call it crush tube, when you get here.”
          Vivian
          2018 Reflection 303rls
          Demco Recon

Comment

I sure would like to see some pictures of what they are planning to do. I am not saying that they are or will do anything wrong its just hard to understand what they are suggesting.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              I sure would like to see some pictures of what they are planning to do. I am not saying that they are or will do anything wrong its just hard to understand what they are suggesting.

Brian
              Pictures would be nice on this retro mod. The X factor cross member is not welded in but is a bolt on solution. So any repairs such as a tank replacement or any other component that would be above the X factor bracket could be easily removed by simply unbolting the cross member.
              Last edited by Beachcamper; 11-05-2019, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Brian
                Here is what I found online. It’s basically 2 x 2 spanning across each hanger and using a triangular gusset welded to hanger. Your point about future access to freshwater tank and access to mechanism is notable.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3B19DA4F-C7F7-42EF-BC44-D22A35431E03.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	99.2 KB ID:	6755
                Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Demco Recon

Comment

The only caution I would have is, welding a tube from one side to the other may cause an issue if there is work to be done under the trailer. On most of these units there are slide mechanisms that go thru the frame as well as a fresh water tank that is between the frame rails above the coroplast. Welding a tube from one side to another may hinder the removal or repair of these items.
                  I am considering a bolt tube from one side to the other just for this reason.

Brian
                  Regarding my post above, it is possible that interference could occur if trying to access the underbelly with the crossbars, but they 8-10" below. The 2" tubing is really not that much of an issue when you see the installation.

The picture Beachcamper posted is exactly what Lippert did for me except no gussets. I actually like that design better than the small pieces of 2" tubing they welded into my hangers.

Coincidentally, I have been thinking about some way to do this process without welding. I could do this myself and no get into warranty issues with Lippert. There has got to be a way to bolt those crossbars to the hangers. Any ideas appreciated!!
                  2020 Reflection 273MK
                  2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Coincidentally, I have been thinking about some way to do this process without welding. I could do this myself and no get into warranty issues with Lippert. There has got to be a way to bolt those crossbars to the hangers. Any ideas appreciated!!
                    That is exactly what the MorRyde X-factor braces do. They are bolted instead of welded.

Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                    X