Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check Your Emergency Brake Cable -- Mine Was On Wrong!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check Your Emergency Brake Cable -- Mine Was On Wrong!

I tested my emergency trailer brake cable+switch system for the very first time (I know, I know--what took me so long) while bleeding my disc brakes. The system worked as expected when I manually pulled the plunger out of the switch housing.

After finishing the project and prepping for a road test it dawned on me as I looked at my setup--there's no way that cable will ever pull out the plunger in an actual emergency! The issue? The emergency cord was braided through the chain as shown in this snapshot (from the linked video) below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	braided.JPG
Views:	500
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	6768

I tested my theory by stretching and yanking the chains as far as they would go. Nope--no brake actuation. In other words, if the hitch came off the ball (chains stay attached) the emergency switch won't engage. If the chains come off the truck I still wouldn't have emergency brakes since the cable is intertwined with the chains (cable came with chains when they came off so no actuation).

The cable intertwined with the chains was how it was delivered to me from the dealer--I've never messed with it. I'm shocked to say the least that I've towed >15K miles with this setup and never realized it was wrong.

Watch this video to see how it is supposed to be installed--and check yours!

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Howard - Thanks much for sharing this. Mine was set up the same way with the cable woven through the chain. It's interesting to me that the delivery drivers that took my trailer to the factory and back didn't question why the cable was run through the chain.

This method makes so much more sense. I'm a little concerned about the step in the video where he ties an overhand knot in the cable to get the correct length. To me, that knot could slide along the cable if the trailer ever came undone. A much better option would be an Alpine Butterfly Loop knot. Here's an example:

https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/butterfly-knot

I've seen a lot of owners change their cable for one of those flexible coiled cables. They should evaluate the proper method for hooking those up too.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

The picture shows how mine is setup now. Note the picture makes it appear the cable is still through the chain near the truck--it's not. It's laying on top if you look closely.

I also ensured the length of the emergency brake cable is short enough (but not too short) to pull the plunger out if the chains stretched to their full length (hitch came off the ball).

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191106_165411 (Large).jpg
Views:	498
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	6771
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I was told , at least here in Pa. , that the emergency break away cable must be connected to the frame of the tow vehicle. I believe that this was changed about 10 years ago. It is no longer satisfactory to hook the cable into the safety chain hook. My solution was to make a small piece of chain that went thru a hole in the frame with an open link end that hung down to easy reach. I placed it so when I turned a sharp turn I did not pull the break away and had a little slack in the cable. My connection point to the frame was about 1 foot up the frame rail from the bumper. The reason they went with attachment to the frame is if the hitch was to become separated from the truck there will be chance for the emergency break away switch to engage. I realize that the hitch being removed from the tow vehicle is far fetched but could happen in the right accident. As long as a good solution is reached.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          The reason they went with attachment to the frame is if the hitch was to become separated from the truck there will be chance for the emergency break away switch to engage
          God forbid anyone ever has an accident bad enough to separate the hitch from their TV (in my case a SuperDuty)!
          Last edited by howson; 03-14-2020, 09:11 AM. Reason: grammar...

Comment

Working...
          X