New tire time for F450, 225/70 19.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tire time for F450, 225/70 19.5

Should be a no brainer right, just go to your trusty tire store and get new tires. Let the saga begin....

I like to research a bit before spending a few grand, 6 F450 tires are going to cost a bit. My 2019 F450 came with Continental HD3 tires. I had mega issues with them cupping until they where rebalanced and the front end aligned, then they smoothed out and with frequent rotation have been doing well. I just rolled over 60k on the F450 and the tires still have some tread on them, but, I am at my winter home, a ski resort. That means snow and ice, and I would like a little better traction, I was kind of sliding a little coming over the pass last night.

I also prefer to buy American made products. I have used Michelin LTX's on my Chevy's for many years and have years and have been happy with them. But they are not made in a 19.5. When I got my new Goodyear G614's put on the MO the truck tire store I was at (in Denver) recommended Goodyear G622's. Cooper makes a tire also, Discoverer AT3 4S.

So lots of review reading; The Michelin XDS came out on top as the best pick, the Goodyear G622's appeared to be a little noisy, and I couldn't find much on the Cooper Discover AT3 4S. I have called 4 different tires stores here in the Salt Lake area and nobody can get the Michelin XDS. The Goodyear web page says that the G622's are not available. There are a bunch of other brands available. But I am a tire snob and lean towards keeping my money spent locally, as much as possible. I can get Hankook DH35's tomorrow.

So I would love to hear about others who have F450 and what tires they are running and how they like them. Snow traction is important to me, but I don't want tires that sill sing to me all summer long. I'm 90% highway, 5% dirt, and 5% snow.
    2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

when looking for that 19.5 are you calling truck tire shops or regular automotive tire shops? I remember a while back we were looking for tires and when it was all said we had purchased every tire in every ware house in the US for the size we needed in a 19.5". (Something like 150 tires). This was all done through our class 8 truck vendor. So bing a 19.5 is a commercial tire, you may need to look into a commercial tire shop vs regular automotive tire shop.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

I have had several vehicles over the years with that size tire. Best experience has been with Bridgestone. Most recent was a GM Kodiak 5500 based Super C motorhome. Rode well, great handling and quiet. Many years ago, I owned a fleet of tow trucks; Bridgestone was GM OEM at that time for that size. Routinely saw in excess of 90000 miles for a set of six, rotated at 30K miles. The truck tire store suggestion is a good one; that's not a Costco size tire. Happy shopping. PS I just put tires (MIchelin) on my Chevy. Chevy dealer had the best price by far--over $100 cheaper for the set than Costco, plus a $70 rebate on top of that. Wouldn't hurt to check with your Ford dealer. Heck, a GM dealer would probably love to sell you tires for your Ford!
      Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
      2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
      2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
      2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
      Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        So being a 19.5 is a commercial tire, you may need to look into a commercial tire shop vs regular automotive tire shop.
        This I discovered early on. Back when I was having trouble with my Continentals I found that not all tire places could/would work on the F450, including several Ford Dealerships.

Originally posted by DarnDave View Post
        Best experience has been with Bridgestone..... Heck, a GM dealer would probably love to sell you tires for your Ford!
        I will take another look at Bridgestone... Funny you should say that, I scheduled maintenance at the Ford dealer next door and asked them about tires, they said they could not help me as their tire machines were out of order, but suggested I talk to the Chevy dealer next door. So I walked over, small dealerships in a small town, but no one was at the counter, any counter, it may have been around lunch time, not sure. Wandered upstairs found a salesman and asked him if who I should talk with about tires, he called and said some one will be at the parts counter to help me, so I went back down stairs, nobody, waited 10 more minutes and then left.

Comment

Not sure where you are located Dallas but I believe you are in CO ski country. Tirerack has your OEM Conti tires and can ship them almost immediately to Denver. Most dealers will accept shipment from them.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
            Not sure where you are located Dallas but I believe you are in CO ski country. Tirerack has your OEM Conti tires and can ship them almost immediately to Denver. Most dealers will accept shipment from them.

Jim
            Thanks Jim, After calling around to numerous dealers and getting "we can't get those tires", or we have some really good MIC tires I ordered Michelin XDS's from Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post

Thanks Jim, After calling around to numerous dealers and getting "we can't get those tires", or we have some really good MIC tires I ordered Michelin XDS's from Amazon.
              Nice! I love my Michelins but wish they were offered in a D rating for my half ton. The E rated tires have worked well but are overkill for my truck towing a 2600RB.

Also wish I would have snow ski'd years ago. We snowmobiled in the winter (El Tigre!) and water ski'd in the summer long ago. Once I began to travel to CO for winter test trips I realized how much fun that would have been.

Jim

Comment

On thing I don't understand is the information for the XDS says "for drive axle" So do you need a different special tire for the steering? Looks like a great tire for your needs.
                Just curious
                Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

On thing I don't understand is the information for the XDS says "for drive axle" So do you need a different special tire for the steering?
                  Keith
                  I had the same issue. I wish I could remember what particular piece of information I ran across that was "the" deciding factor, but I read a lot of web reviews, brochures, tire company publications, etc. to make my decision. The one piece of information that stood out was that my F450 is 4 (6) wheel drive therefore the front axle is a drive axle. Other material had a footnote indicating is could be used as an all position tire. While a dedicated steering tire would be best for 2 wheel drive highway vehicles the XDS appears to be acceptable.

In reviews that I read the important thing to do with the F450's is to rotate the tires. Added expense for sure because to properly rotate them they must be taken off the wheel and then rebalanced. This becomes another good truck debate, but in my analysis the deciding factor was amount and type of use. I have 60,000 miles on my F450 that I purchased June, 2019. Or about 3333 miles a month. Approximately 30% of that is towing.

Comment

I had the same issue. I wish I could remember what particular piece of information I ran across that was "the" deciding factor, but I read a lot of web reviews, brochures, tire company publications, etc. to make my decision. The one piece of information that stood out was that my F450 is 4 (6) wheel drive therefore the front axle is a drive axle. Other material had a footnote indicating is could be used as an all position tire. While a dedicated steering tire would be best for 2 wheel drive highway vehicles the XDS appears to be acceptable.

In reviews that I read the important thing to do with the F450's is to rotate the tires. Added expense for sure because to properly rotate them they must be taken off the wheel and then rebalanced. This becomes another good truck debate, but in my analysis the deciding factor was amount and type of use. I have 60,000 miles on my F450 that I purchased June, 2019. Or about 3333 miles a month. Approximately 30% of that is towing.
                    Thanks for the information.

For rotation I know your pain after having my dually as the front rims are different than the rear thus requiring dismounting to rotate. At one time I used a tire dealer that offered free rotation and they honored having to dismount and re-balance to do it. Free Rotation was written on sales agreement. Later they changed the writing that the balancing was extra. I used to just rotate side to side front and back. Inside dually became the outside dually on the other side if I remember correctly.

Thanks again
                    Happy New Year
                    Keith
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

On thing I don't understand is the information for the XDS says "for drive axle" So do you need a different special tire for the steering? Looks like a great tire for your needs.
                      Just curious
                      Keith
                      If the truck is a 4WD the front is also considered a drive axle. If it s a 2WD, they recommend something like the XZE tread.
                      Keith
                      2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
                      Traded 2021 Reflection 337
                      2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
                      Formerly M&K337

Comment

Rotation on a vehicle with four wheel drive is needed more often due to increased king pin inclination. This is where the front wheel can be seen to roll over in a full lock turn to aid in turning radius. As a result, increased wear on the outside edge is encountered on four wheel drive trucks in general.

Jim

Comment

I think the difference between a Drive axle tire and a Steer axle tire in the commercial tire world has to do with the tread and the fact that steer are not allowed to be "recapped" or "regrooved" due to safety.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                          X