Replacing one Morryde SRE4000 equalizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing one Morryde SRE4000 equalizer

I need to replace a 3yr old Equalizer on the drivers side. Any input as to leaving the truck hooked up to 303rls fifth wheel or disconnecting? I am in Quartzite (remote location). I will use the leveling jacks to lift the drivers side, then block and use jack stands. Will this be ok?

Thanks Mark..
    2018 GD Reflection 303rls
    1996 Ford F-350 4x4 SRW

Cupins -- Cate&Rob is an experienced 303RLS owner and will know the answer to your question. He'll check in and will respond when he sees the "tag". There are several other experienced owners that know, too, so hopefully one of them may chime in as well.

In the meantime, please take a moment to check out the Welcome Letter to New Owners: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members , fill out your signature line, etc.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Cupins
      Hi Mark,

Envisioning how to do this with what you have to work with, will take some thought.

The normal process is to lift the trailer with jacks under the axle U bolts. Remove the wheels. Lower the jacks to set the frame on jack stands and continue to lower the axles until there is no load on the shackles. Then remove the equalizer. It is a good idea to leave the trailer connected to the truck while you do this, for stability.

If you lift the trailer frame with the levelling jacks until the tires are off the ground (on the side you are working on) this will be considerably higher than what you need by lifting at the U bolts. You will still need a way to support the axles at the "loose equalizer" position so that you can remove and replace it. I suppose you could remove the wheels, place blocking under the axles and lower the levelling jacks until you reach the "loose equalizer" position. Having your trailer sitting on its levelling jacks with tires removed is definitely an unsafe situation that only you can decide to proceed with.

I think that you should beg/borrow/acquire two floor jacks to lift/lower the axle ends independently from the frame. Set the frame on your jack stands as described above. Remember to never place a jack directly under an axle tube. These are very thin walled and will be crushed. Under the U bolts should be OK. With a block of hardwood under the U bolts is even better.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob, I do have 3 12ton bottle jacks available (but no floor jacks) and plenty of wood for blocking if needed. We are literally sitting in the desert.
        1996 Ford F-350 4x4 SRW

Comment

Oh, and 4 6ton jack stands.
          1996 Ford F-350 4x4 SRW

Comment

Cupins you can raise the trailer with the jacks slightly to help alleviate some of the spring load, the install the jack stands and lower the trailer to touch the stands. From there, using the bottle jacks (I suggest using a long board between the jacks and under the u-bolts) you can then raise the tires off the ground and remove. Then lower the axles until you see an air gap between the board and the u-bolts. This means you have found the unsprung condition and can work from there. Start by raising the axles until the board touches slightly, then remove the bolts and using the jacks to alleviate any additional weight.

Note: you will probably need to lift the trailer about 6"-8" initially before installing the stands. Leaving the trailer hooked to the truck may not be an option with this much lift needed.

I do suggest blocking the opposing side tires to help prevent movement. Also the long board between the jacks is for jack stability as the axle will move slightly as it's lowered.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks Joseph, I get the SRE4000 Tuesday and will install Wednesday. I will post afterwards.
              1996 Ford F-350 4x4 SRW

Comment

Update: And thanks again Joseph. I raised the leveling jacks 5-6 inches placed jackstands under frame, using bottle jacks, raised axles under u-bolts, removed tires, lowered bottle jacks to unsprung condition, was able to easily remove equalizer. This Morryde equalizer only lasted 3.5 years before it tore on top and split on the bottom. Morryde did send a new one n/c. Thanks Jennifer.
                1996 Ford F-350 4x4 SRW

Comment

Working...
                X