2017 Leaf Spring Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Leaf Spring Replacement

I have a 2017 Imagine 2800BH. I bought it used, and I ended up with the extended warranty. Like quite a few of these, it's begun to lean to the curbside.

There is a "potential" situation that the warranty might cover replacing the leaf springs. This is not a guarantee, still have to get through the underwriter.

But I want to be prepared if they go for it.

I don't know what's on the camper NOW, and I don't have access to the camper to visually verify. But if the shop is open to it, should I ask if they can go "up" a size on the leaf springs (and just pay the difference)? What would I ask for?
    Here's the GD part's page:
    https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/23467

Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Hi Mike,

See this thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...imum-clearance . . . particularly post #5 . . . for the "abridged version" of how some of us have come to having stronger springs on just the heavy side of the trailer. Note that this is not a solution endorsed by Grand Design. Going up one strength in springs is probably not a problem, but remember that the stronger the springs, the rougher the ride for the trailer. The "perfect" spring strength should use all of its design travel to isolate the trailer from road impacts.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
      I have a 2017 Imagine 2800BH. I bought it used, and I ended up with the extended warranty. Like quite a few of these, it's begun to lean to the curbside.

There is a "potential" situation that the warranty might cover replacing the leaf springs. This is not a guarantee, still have to get through the underwriter.

But I want to be prepared if they go for it.

I don't know what's on the camper NOW, and I don't have access to the camper to visually verify. But if the shop is open to it, should I ask if they can go "up" a size on the leaf springs (and just pay the difference)? What would I ask for?
      Here's the GD part's page:
      https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/23467
      Mike
      If you have Dexter axles get a picture of the axle tag (big label centered on the tube) and send it to thier customer service folks. They can send back the build sheet for your axle that shows all the components (springs,axle tube brakes, bearings, etc) with the part numbers. If you do decide to up size one side this information will help in getting the correctly sized spring. How is the arch on the good size. If t is flattened to it may be wise to replace too.

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Mike
        If you have Dexter axles get a picture of the axle tag (big label centered on the tube) and send it to thier customer service folks. They can send back the build sheet for your axle that shows all the components (springs,axle tube brakes, bearings, etc) with the part numbers. If you do decide to up size one side this information will help in getting the correctly sized spring. How is the arch on the good size. If t is flattened to it may be wise to replace too.

Keith
        Keith,

His 2800BH is the same year as my 2600RB where 3500lb Lippert axles are used. The suspension has been upgraded from those models to 4400lb axles, E rated tires, 6 lug wheels and 2200lb springs from the original 1750lb springs. Tire to floor clearance was also an issue back then.
        A call to GDRV would be good to see if they are ok with the 2017 hardware to be used with the 2200lb springs. Or lift blocks can be used with the replacement 1750lb springs. If I recall, if there is a 3" axle the 2200lb springs can be used but its best to hear it from GDRV.

Jim

Comment

Working...
        X