Tire Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Size

It looks like if you go from a 235/80r16 to a 235/85r16 you can increase the load rating by about 400 lbs per tire with only a heigth change of 1/2 inch.This is for a Solitude 375 so it is a big load. Has anyone else done this or is this a problem.
    Tom & Janice
    2013 F350 DRW Long Bed with B&W Companion
    2018 Solitude 375RES-R with 8K IS and Disk

Many folks have done this. The main thing you need to check is that you will have enough clearance between the top of the tire and the underside of the trailer. With the trailer fully loaded, you want to have at least 4" of clearance.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by jtfreemanrv View Post
      It looks like if you go from a 235/80r16 to a 235/85r16 you can increase the load rating by about 400 lbs per tire with only a heigth change of 1/2 inch.This is for a Solitude 375 so it is a big load. Has anyone else done this or is this a problem.
      Out of curiosity, what brand tire do you have on the trailer? The OEM Westlakes? At max GVWR my back-of-the-napkin math shows you'd be bumping up against the max load per tire, assuming even distribution. In the real world that doesn't happen. Typically you'll find with a GD floorplan that the front street side tire over the refrigerator is carrying the most weight. (I've weighed my 315RLTS. That front street side tire was 2,600 pounds while it's counterpart on the curb side, same axle, was 2,000 lbs.)

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

As Jim stated, it's about clearance in the wheel well. If the tire is 1/2 inch taller then that is only 1/4 inch farther into the wheel well as the other 1/4 inch is at the bottom of the tire. I hope that makes sense. You should not have any problem with that small increase. I contacted GD for info when I changed rims and tires for advice. I raised my suspension 2 inches to change from stock 225/75R 15 to 235/85R 16. I have not had any wheel well clearance issues. The trailer not sits level while being towed and rides much smoother with the larger diameter tires.

Comment

Working...
        X