Concern about a new tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concern about a new tire

Got new tires, and when I grabbed one out of the truck it didn’t look right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	69A434D8-4F86-4CB7-B435-A93B08AE9E54.jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	83337Click image for larger version

Name:	D2C59D70-11ED-469C-9155-2D3D77F03B9B.jpeg
Views:	265
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	83338
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Ignore the jagged line near the C in SCUFF as that is part of the design. I’m concerned about the bulge that spans INFL

Rim is good.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

That would concern me as well. I have seen this before but not so pronounced.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Jkwilson -- I'm no tire expert, but isn't that a broken sidewall belt (or cord or whatever it's called) that causes that on a tire's sidewall? I wouldn't trust it. My .02: insist on a replacement.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I've had trailer tires with bulges and was told by the tire shop not to worry... a product of the manufacturing process.However, I have no skin in the game where your tire is concerned and given its criticality take it to a shop you trust and ask. You may decide to invest effort in a replacement, or not and sleep better at night. Win, win.

Mike
          Mike & Sonya
          2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
          Blue Ox SwayPro
          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

An over simplification . . . but, sidewall bulges “inward” are usually connection between belts and are OK. Bulges “outward” (like in the picture) are a cause for concern. If this tire is different than the other three . . . that would definitely be a good reason to have it replaced.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              An over simplification . . . but, sidewall bulges “inward” are usually connection between belts and are OK. Bulges “outward” (like in the picture) are a cause for concern. If this tire is different than the other three . . . that would definitely be a good reason to have it replaced.

Rob
              X2. Compare to the other three. My Michelin Defenders have this belt overlap as well as my GY Endurance tires.

Jim

Comment

An inward bump is okay, thats normal. An outward protrusion is a sign of a defective tire, either from a construction defect or damage. Tire rack has some good info on the difference between the two conditions. I wouldnt trust this tire. My 2018 Imagine had 2 Westlake tires that were like this. Lionshead replaced them right away. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=32
                2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Took it to the shop and the manager immediately said it was bad. Pulled it out of the truck and showed me it was bulged on both sides of the tire.

He hollered at a couple of guys in the shop to have them look at it and then let the air out and the bulge was gone. Guess he was teaching the new guys what to watch for.

New tire will be in tomorrow
                  John & Kathy
                  2014 Reflection 303RLS
                  2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Glad you found a knowledgeable and honest tire guy. They are few and far between now days.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                    X