Hydrastar Brake Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrastar Brake Fluid

I have a 2022 GD Solitude 382WB with the 8k / disc brake option. Everything I read says to use DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid. I also read that you're not supposed to mix the two. How do I know which brake fluid was put in at the factory so that if I need to add fluid I'm not mixing the two? Thank you, Marty
    2022 Solitude 382WB

Originally posted by martyb6 View Post
    I have a 2022 GD Solitude 382WB with the 8k / disc brake option. Everything I read says to use DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid. I also read that you're not supposed to mix the two. How do I know which brake fluid was put in at the factory so that if I need to add fluid I'm not mixing the two? Thank you, Marty
    I'm by no means a brake fluid expert--but a quick internet search revealed that most replies to the question suggest it's OK to mix DOT 3 and 4. (I entered "mix dot 3 and dot 4 brake fluid" into DuckDuckGo's search engine and read a few of the returning links.)

Two of this forum's "car guys" are Guest and Cate&Rob -- hopefully they will chime in if anything I've written is wrong.

A call to GD Customer Service is the definitive source to get an answer. If you call them please let us know the answer.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howson is correct on all counts, Dot 3 and 4 are interchangeable but like so many automotive supplies there are some application specific exotics (anti freeze as an example) that you have to be wary of. I would guess that a quick google search with the brand and model of you brake system would yield an owners manual, I would follow that documents recommendation

I noticed that E-trailer has a Q&A section where someone has asked this same question. Their reply was DOT 3 or 4 was acceptable.
      There is information that says if you originally had DOT 3 that you could use DOT4 but if you originally had DOT 4 then even though DOT3 is compatible (same basic technology) that using DOT4 would yield the best results. In short it looks like DOT4 check all the boxes.
      Last edited by familytruckster4; 07-01-2022, 08:50 AM.
      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Hi Marty,

I concur with the recommendations here. DOT 3 & 4 are glycol based brake fluids (with slightly different viscosity and boiling points) that can be mixed. DOT 5 is the one to stay away from in a standard braking system as it is silicone based and not compatible with the glycol based brake fluids.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Check the color of the fluid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid If it's clear either DOT3 or DOT4 are acceptable, if purple (verification that there was not a change that was not noted) then DOT 5.

Alternatively it appears that DOT 5.1 is backwards compatible to 3 and 4 if the system can handle the borate.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
          X