Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Factory disc brake option - any details known?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory disc brake option - any details known?

I understand Grand Design is now offering a factory disc brake option. My dealer doesn't really have any details on it but added a note to the Solitude 310GK-R order I placed last week to include this option. Does anybody know who makes the brakes or actuator or how much it costs? My dealer's GD rep said it was "around $3,000". I was corresponding with a Grand Design employee about coordinating my MORryde IS suspension upgrade prior to shipping and he thought the new disc brake option would be around $2,000. If anybody has any official information about this new option, please share it!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

WHAT!?!??!? Son of a ...
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
    2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M
    2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

I'm pretty sure that disc brakes as part of the MORryde installation is cheaper. That's how we're having it done.

Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
        I'm pretty sure that disc brakes as part of the MORryde installation is cheaper. That's how we're having it done.

Rob
        That could be Rob. MORryde quoted me $2,700 for the disc brakes alone. I decided to add the MORryde IS suspension after I learned about the factory disc brake option and had them added to my Solitude order.

BTW, thank you for sharing your idea about having the MORryde work done prior to having the RV shipped. It's what finally pushed me to add the IS suspension. I almost did it on my Solitude 373FB but driving to the factory was a bit much and the dealer here in Oregon that is authorized to do the work wants $2,000 more than the factory. Your solution is perfect! Get the work done before the RV even ships!
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
          I understand Grand Design is now offering a factory disc brake option. My dealer doesn't really have any details on it but added a note to the Solitude 310GK-R order I placed last week to include this option. Does anybody know who makes the brakes or actuator or how much it costs? My dealer's GD rep said it was "around $3,000". I was corresponding with a Grand Design employee about coordinating my MORryde IS suspension upgrade prior to shipping and he thought the new disc brake option would be around $2,000. If anybody has any official information about this new option, please share it!
          GDRV-Emily and/or GDRV-Megan -- can you confirm the brand of brake and controller GD is installing?
          Last edited by howson; 12-18-2019, 05:31 PM.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson at this time, this option is not available. They are looking in to this as an option, but it has not been made official as all items like this have to go through extensive testing to ensure we are using the correct products, and install is performed correctly. I believe Nate talked about this at National Rally.

There are 2 options for disc brakes that are popular. LCI uses Kodiak (calipers and rotors) and Hydrastar (tank and lines)
            Performance trailer braking is using Dexter brand and they use Titan system tanks i believe....

Comment

Thanks Emily. Looks like I need to wait a couple weeks for the "official" word on the disc brake option.
              Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

bertschb I just returned home a few days ago (Colorado) after taking my 2020 Momentum 349M to MORryde for the IS/disc brake install. The winter discount just about covered my fuel costs but dodging winter weather and icy roads can be tricky. The ice still hadn't melted in one Missouri State Park which made getting in and out challenging.

MORryde installed their 8K system with Kodiak rotors/brakes and the Hydrastar actuator (apparently similar to LCI above) and I opted for the upgraded TIMKEN bearings. If you are not located close to their main facility, getting it installed pre-delivery would be smart. When I ordered mine, I didn't even know that was an option. There were other pre-delivery/pre-paint trailers there being upgraded as well (most were DRV).

Braking is dramatically improved and the beefy welded suspension, shocks, and rubber pads seem to have really improved trailer ride. They can also adjust the rear height as needed to dial in your truck, hitch, and trailer and get everything level. It's pricey but after the 1200 mile trip home, I do recommend it.
                2020 Momentum 349M
                2019 F350 Platinum Super Duty
                U.S. Air Force Retired

Comment

Hi Craig

Glad to hear you are enjoying the MORryde suspension and disc brakes. I don't think we'll be getting a winter discount because our 5th wheel probably won't be ready until March or April. We're getting full body paint and that adds a few weeks to the build. We ordered our truck too and it may not be ready until March or April. Soooo, we're just sitting here in the cold waiting to resume our winter stays in Palm Springs next year. The good news is the days are getting longer now! WhooHoo!
                  Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
                    Hi Craig

Glad to hear you are enjoying the MORryde suspension and disc brakes. I don't think we'll be getting a winter discount because our 5th wheel probably won't be ready until March or April. We're getting full body paint and that adds a few weeks to the build. We ordered our truck too and it may not be ready until March or April. Soooo, we're just sitting here in the cold waiting to resume our winter stays in Palm Springs next year. The good news is the days are getting longer now! WhooHoo!
                    Your configuration looks similar to mine; I ordered my truck and trailer as well last year and went with FBP which added a few weeks to the delivery schedule. Congratulations; the hardest part now is the waiting and trying not to buy too many accessories pre-delivery.
                    2020 Momentum 349M
                    2019 F350 Platinum Super Duty
                    U.S. Air Force Retired

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Carter View Post
                      ...the hardest part now is the waiting and trying not to buy too many accessories pre-delivery.
                      I won't have a truck for several months so I'm not in a hurry for the RV. I can wait. I'm actually more excited about the truck :-)

As for the accessories - I actually have an "RV List" on Amazon with all the things we need to buy. This is my THIRD time outfitting an RV from scratch so I know exactly what I want through trial and error. I'm going to wait a couple months before buying everything though. The last time I did this (one year ago), I filled half my garage with stuff that just sat for 4 months while I waited for the RV to arrive. I did order the hitch though (my 3rd Hensley air hitch) because it was on sale.

Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Working...
                      X