Greasing Wet Bolt bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
    I have two zerks not taking grease at the top of shackle. I tried lifting the axle and using the leveling system to lift frame. Is this correct? Sorry to sound so stupid but where on the frame is best place to relieve pressure on the shackle bolts?

vivian
    Brian, do you lift both front and back or just the back levelers? Also, at what point is it taking pressure off wet bolts? Tires just off the floor?
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Comment

Brian, do you lift both front and back or just the back levelers? Also, at what point is it taking pressure off wet bolts? Tires just off the floor?
      I just do the back levelers. I put the control in manual mode and push the back and one side button , this only extends one jack at a time. I have had one tire off of the ground doing this but have learned that is not needed , almost off the ground works for mine. I only have problems with the rear most 2 wet bolts and have not tried to lift the trailer enough to do anything with the front wet bolts. To can also extend both jacks on the same side in manual mode by selecting extend and then pushing one of the side arrow buttons , if I remember right.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Beachcamper

you might also try a little heat on the zerk. Using a small torch apply heat then try greasing, this may have to be done several times getting the fitting progressively hotter!
        when it finally takes grease you should hear a small “pop”
        Keith and Diane
        2014 Reflection 337 RLS
        2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Kksfish View Post
          Beachcamper

you might also try a little heat on the zerk. Using a small torch apply heat then try greasing, this may have to be done several times getting the fitting progressively hotter!
          when it finally takes grease you should hear a small “pop”
          Keith, I removed the zerk and pumped grease through it. No problem with grease going through I even swapped with one adjacent that was taking grease.
          Last edited by Beachcamper; 04-17-2020, 08:50 PM.
          Vivian
          2018 Reflection 303rls
          Demco Recon

Comment

Hi Vivian,

There is no magic point at which lifting the frame will relieve the pressure on the wet bolt grease passage. Just keep trying the grease gun as you get close to the tire lifting off the ground. The right point will be there .

Rob

Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Vivian,

There is no magic point at which lifting the frame will relieve the pressure on the wet bolt grease passage. Just keep trying the grease gun as you get close to the tire lifting off the ground. The right point will be there .

Rob
              Rob, these are at the equalizer shackles. Just wondering if lifting the levelers will even affect this area.
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Demco Recon

Comment

Lifting the frame will unload all the suspension components. This should reverse the interaction between bolt and bushing that is blocking the grease passage.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob thank you, I am now feeling more positive and encouraged.

Vivian
                  Vivian
                  2018 Reflection 303rls
                  Demco Recon

Comment

Hi Vivian,

Another thought . . . and I have not gone back to see if this was mentioned earlier . . . grease guns come with a lot of different pressure capabilities. You should be using one with at least 2000 psi capability.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Beachcamper

i would still try heat if taking the weight off doesn’t do it. I suggested heating the zerk as this will transfer the heat all thru the grease . Just be careful with that torch and flammable items near it!
                      I have had to “warm” some up until they turned red on other equipment!
                      Keith and Diane
                      2014 Reflection 337 RLS
                      2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

If you remove the grease zerk and have a cordless drill you can drill out the hardened grease to clear the pathway for new grease. This does not help the cross hole under the bushing but will help clear the way. Heating the zerk fitting to hot could result in weakening the spring that holds the ball out to seal the fitting from water entry.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I was at the local KOA all last week and while relaxing outside with an adult beverage this guy pulls in to service an older diesel pusher. I went over to talk to him about my Solitude wet bolts and the Onan was due for an oil change. He did all 10 grease fittings and the oil and filter on the gennie for 75 bucks. Score!! I laid underneath it with him as he used an air compressor powered grease gun on the wet bolts and old grease was pushed out of all of them, nice! If you're ever in South Texas I highly recommend him, he owns the company. Click image for larger version

Name:	Rv lube (2).jpg
Views:	565
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	16858
                          Jeff
                          2019 Solitude 375 RES
                          2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

I wish we had mobile service trucks like that coming through our remote island resort. Using a 10k psi grease gun and lockNlube nozzle so should work.
                            Vivian
                            2018 Reflection 303rls
                            Demco Recon

Comment

A report of success here. We're back from FL and doing the Spring cleaning and maintenance before putting the camper into storage. Yesterday I greased all 4 wheels and the 10 bolts, plus the 2 on the Curt hitch. See you next year, on this topic anyway.

Comment

I have the problem where one Wet Bolt won't take any grease. I have taking the weight of the spring by jacking the trailer up and down, I then changed the Zerk and repeated... NO LUCK - I called my Dealer and they were not help, ie.... didn't know the part numbers and said it would be at least a couple of weeks to get a Bolt assembly.

Does anyone know the Part Number(s) ? I have a 2020 381M Momentum (Triple Axle with Equa-flex)?

Do I replace just the one bolt or do I have to replace it as a pair?

I went onto the GD parts look up but I can't read the part numbers of the drawing.

Please Help I am leaving for 3 months on July 6th .

Comment

Working...
                                X