Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Propane tank holder straps difficult to close.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Barta
    replied
    Great post. I wiggle and giggle them until i can latch them. Im going to try your idea. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• BWSTGDS
    replied
    Another thankful camper here - great thread. Just performed this mod today. Decided to move one of the mounting screws on each strap about an inch inward to allow more slack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	propane strap 2.png
Views:	78
Size:	523.7 KB
ID:	129121

Had to be careful to avoid hitting wiring behind the panel these straps are screwed to.

Name:	propane strap.png
Views:	68
Size:	821.6 KB
ID:	129122

Much easier to secure, and still stable. Easily removable shower curtain rings used on the latches to keep them in place, though they over-center pretty well.

Name:	IMG_1379.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	129123

Leave a comment:

• MK397THR
    replied
    I agree with the others above. I had not taken time to search the forum for the tank strap issue. So it is good that an old thread was revised. I will definitely try that, bending the latch back into shape is getting old.

Leave a comment:

• d2reid
    replied
    Originally posted by AlanS1973 View Post
    Thanks to the OP and the contributors … these threads help current and as demonstrated, future GD owners. :-)
    Your welcome!

Actually, more Kudos to the folks that maintain the forum.

Leave a comment:

• Calbar
    replied
    I need to try this too. Mine are way to tight and can't get them to close properly. Thanks for reviving an old post.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Scott'n'Wendy
    replied
    Got the straps remounted today. So simple yet works so well.
    And it didn't cost anything!!!

Leave a comment:

• 50ST8R
    replied
    It is sometimes nice to see an old post touch on current topics. Not sure how I missed this before, but as soon as rig returns from shop I am adjusting my straps as well.

Leave a comment:

• Scott'n'Wendy
    replied
    Yup..Thanks Dallas! The over tightness of the straps has been bothering me...but I hadn't bothered to look/investigate for a fix yet...... I always figure I'll get a round to it before I have to refill a tank again......not!.
    Doing it today!

Leave a comment:

• AlanS1973
    replied
    I know that this is a “dead” thread and most likely the folks who posted are on to other rigs…but I’ve got a 2022 Mo 397 THS-R …and have been fighting with a) the straps being tight and b) the cheap aluminum that bends on the latches. As i too started thinking about alternatives (nylon, turnbuckles, etc..) i decided to search the forums…and lo and behold “the answer!” Since our rig was built in March 2022, it doesn’t look like the GD engineers got (or accepted) the suggestion here (too bad). But, I’m glad with a few quick turns of the screw gun (3.25” spread) … i am a happy camper again! :-) Thanks to the OP and the contributors … these threads help current and as demonstrated, future GD owners. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Festus500
    replied
    U would think that OEMs would consider biggest safety hazard (propane bombs) and then design a safe and easy to install propane system. Just bc the NTSB or whom ever doesn't require it the picture from TucsonJim shows why it is important. I don't have the model with straps, but rather a top bar to hold down two tanks, but that works wonky as well.

Leave a comment:

• CoSpgsTed
    replied
    Hi and thank you all for your posts … we purchased our 2020 Reflection 337RLS in Sep.2019. It was time for an LP tank fill and had not had the metal straps on our prior RV. Checked the forum and saw the difficulty being experienced with the straps and buckles. Base on your info, checked the straps as installed and we would have struggled also. Based on the info found we moved both screws about 3/4 of an inch in (on all four straps) … toward the center … from where they were installed. I can now open/close the buckles easily and at the same time the tanks are snug. Also, I have some old pins from a fiberglass flag pole we have and placed one on each of the top buckle holes to prevent buckle from accidently opening (without locking them). The help on this forum definitely has put me "ahead of the curve" on this issue.

Again, thanks to all … stay safe and enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• TucsonJim
    replied
    Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Just use caution when using locks on propane cylinders. First responders do not like to have to waste time trying to remove propane cylinders from a burning RV.

Brian
    When ours was on fire, the first thing the firefighters did was open the doors, unsnap the tanks and throw them as far as they could. You can see from the attached photo how close the flames came to taking out the tank area on the driver's side. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_3081.jpg
Views:	1284
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	20171

Leave a comment:

• Country Campers
    replied
    Originally posted by Triplethreat
    Update on my previous post.....I relocated the screws on mine yesterday....both tanks, all 4 staps....all 8 screws. The guys that put these in don't really have much choice. The strapping is "pre drilled" with holes already in them. Now that's not saying that the manufacturer of the straps couldn't do something different, but as they are right now, they just come pre drilled. And yes, I drill new holes in the strapping material where I needed them to be.

While I was in there, I decided that I would hang some padlocks on the straps also. I had 5 locks that are all keyed alike, so each tank now has two padlocks hanging on them, since the propane compartment door doesn't lock.
    Just use caution when using locks on propane cylinders. First responders do not like to have to waste time trying to remove propane cylinders from a burning RV.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• GDRV-Megan
    replied
    Originally posted by d2reid View Post
    After struggling with getting the tank straps closed on Momentum propane tanks for over two years I finally had enough and actually started looking at them. My first thought was to replace them with ratchet straps, but that didn't go as well as expected and then there was some mention of a requirement for metal retainer straps. I never could chase that one down.

So while messing with it I noticed that the straps are attached with 2 self tapping sheet metal screws set about 4 inches apart. Pretty wide spread. So I unscrewed one and re-inserted it about 3 inches from the other one, then put the tank back in. The strap was easy to close, no more hammering on it or prying it pliers. The tanks were secure without movement.

I kick myself for struggling with it since day 1, the fix was so easy.
    Thanks for sharing!! I have passed this along to our production managers.

Leave a comment:

• TucsonJim
    replied
    Hi Dallas. Good to see you here. I had the same issue on my 2014 and I solved it the same way. You'd think they'd fit check them before installing the tanks.

Jim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X