No announcement yet.

RV to Champion Generator Propane Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The neutral should be bonded to ground. If the generator or the equipment it supplies doesn’t do it, you need a bonding plug.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Beachcamper -- Jkwilson confirmed what I suspected. If the generator isn't bonded (and the RV isn't by default) then bonding it with the plug allows it to be the "first disconnect means". How will you know if the generator is bonded? Try connecting the generator through the EMS without the bonding plug. The EMS will reject the power if it's not bonded. (The plug will fix the problem.)

John--correct me if I'm wrong-- but what I think "first disconnect means" is stating is that when bonded the generator becomes the path for a short circuit which would open the circuit breaker. This protects anyone from inadvertently becoming the "first disconnect means" if there's a problem. Is that right?

Vivian, as documented in Jim's thread on the bonding plug there's a good video on the topic by Benjamin Sahlstrom (he's got a lot of other videos well worth watching).

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have been reading a lot of forum posts and some people use their EMS between generator and RV and some don’t. There is always a risk to electronics if something goes wrong with generator. I also found this on the champion site. I think I will use my portable one and the bonding plug I bought. I worry about my converter charger and AC.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0DCFBA77-E824-482A-99F4-06D30783954A.png Views:	0 Size:	529.3 KB ID:	44275
        Last edited by Beachcamper; 02-27-2021, 05:02 PM.
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
        Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

Dan, I took the items off Mikes post on page one #2 he has options to what I ordered. Here are screenshots of what mine looks like.
          Vivian,

I notice that the price on Amazon is lower now for the Champion Power Equipment 200961 2500-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Inverter Generator, Ultralight.
          As of today, it's $583.38, not the $623.61 shown in your screenshot. I'm not sure how you would get Amazon to refund you the difference.

Joe
          Sailor_Joe, 2021 imagine 2600RB, 2017 Ford F-150, XLT super crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow.

Comment

Originally posted by Sailor_Joe View Post

Vivian,

I notice that the price on Amazon is lower now for the Champion Power Equipment 200961 2500-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Inverter Generator, Ultralight.
            As of today, it's $583.38, not the $623.61 shown in your screenshot. I'm not sure how you would get Amazon to refund you the difference.

Joe
            Thanks Joe, I did not see that!! I will ask Amazon see if they will refund the difference.

Sadly, they do not. I overpaid their policy won’t allow refunds post purchase.
            Last edited by Beachcamper; 03-15-2021, 05:55 AM.
            Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
            Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              gbkims

Will a bathroom scale (used to measure the weight of the propane bottle before and after a test period) validate the assumptions in this post?

Howard
              I’ve seen several posts where people have referenced bathroom scales to check the weight/fullness of their propane tanks… I use a luggage scale, rated to 100 lbs. I picked mine up in a local store on clearance years ago, mine uses AA batteries; it looks like the current version of my brand on Amazon is rechargable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YLVG8TY...ing=UTF8&psc=1 . It’s pretty handy, just buckle the strap to the handle of the propane tank & lift.
              2021 Reflection 260 RD
              2020 Ford F-250

Comment

Beachcamper ,

Howard

P.S. Getting the generator to work with my Victron Multiplus (nothing to do with the propane mod) is another story for another thread. I'll come back and post a link to it once I get it written up for those interested.

P.P.S. Nice to know Champion is OK with the mod! Thank you for pursuing and posting that info!
                Any updates on getting this generator to work with your multiplus? I'm in the same situation here.

Thanks
                Tony
                2020 Imagine 2400BH - 340W solar, Victron 100/20 MPPT & BMV-712, 12v/100ah BattleBorn GC2, MORryde CRE3000 & HD shackle w/ wet bolts.
                2017 F150 Lariat, 3.5EB - Andersen WDH, & SumoSprings

formerly: 2016 Starcraft Launch 19BHS, 2004 Fleetwood Mesa

Comment

Originally posted by tonygoncalves View Post

Any updates on getting this generator to work with your multiplus? I'm in the same situation here.

Thanks
                  Tony
                  I honestly don't remember what the problem was, Tony. What is the issue?

No comments, Yoda , about CRS -- you've used up your quota for the day.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I actually don't remember this issue either, and I know I followed it,
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I don't have an issue, yet, just that I have a Multiplus installed in my trailer, and I'm about to use the champion dual fuel generator for the first time in a couple weeks, hence what I mean by "same situation". So if there was an issue between the two, I'm hoping to sort it out before I go camping. I'm assuming the only addition you needed was a grounding plug?
                      If it's working for you, then it should work for me.
                      2020 Imagine 2400BH - 340W solar, Victron 100/20 MPPT & BMV-712, 12v/100ah BattleBorn GC2, MORryde CRE3000 & HD shackle w/ wet bolts.
                      2017 F150 Lariat, 3.5EB - Andersen WDH, & SumoSprings

formerly: 2016 Starcraft Launch 19BHS, 2004 Fleetwood Mesa

Comment

I don't have an issue, yet, just that I have a Multiplus installed in my trailer, and I'm about to use the champion dual fuel generator for the first time in a couple weeks, hence what I mean by "same situation". So if there was an issue between the two, I'm hoping to sort it out before I go camping. I'm assuming the only addition you needed was a grounding plug?
                        Only thing I can think of is maybe I forgot to adjust the Multiplus' Input Current Limit? If you've got the same small Champion no more than 15.0 works, as 1800W is the maximum on propane.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ICL.JPG
Views:	537
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	78140

Comment

Found it! See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...essons-learned

Comment

Moderator note: this post is a basically a duplicate of another but the information is too important not have it here in Vivian's thread, too. The text is slightly edited as a standalone post. -Howard

In the Champion's manual the assembly that is used to provide propane to the generator is called an LPG Hose with Regulator. Besides the hose, there are two subcomponents--the regulator and the safety valve.

Click image for larger version  Name:	champion.JPG Views:	0 Size:	32.8 KB ID:	79172

As Vivian's thread details, the safety valve is retained when putting together a quick-disconnect that attaches to the RV.

The only information I could find on the safety valve is on a forest river forum (yikes!) from member clutchd (post goes back to 2017).

The large device you see on the right is nothing more that a safety valve. It only allows propane to flow when the generator is cranking or running. If you pulled the hose of the generator while it was running or the hose got cut or tore after the safety propane would not come out. The valve works on vacuum to operate. When the engine is cranking or running vacuum from the engine opens the safety valve and allows propane to flow.

Digging further I found a very good YouTube video explaining it's function (basically verifying what clutchd wrote in his post).

The generator will run without the safety valve, but I'd urge individuals when they modify their hoses to plug into their RV's quick disconnect to incorporate the safety valve like Vivian did. That way propane will not pass into the generator if it's not running.

Howard
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by howson; 03-15-2022, 06:06 PM.

Comment

I stumbled upon this site while researching how to allow my Champion 2500 Dual Fuel Inverter Generator (Mfr # 200961) to accept Natural Gas (which I have at my house). I live in FL so it would bring peace of mind to know that I could hook up to NG for an extended period and not worry about refilling propane tanks if we were ever impacted by a hurricane and lost power.

From what I am reading, I think I should be able to follow the instructions in this thread, except I would add a a regulator (see below link - same reg I use for my NG BBQ) between my home's NG quick connect and the Champion provided safety valve. I assume thhe NG reg would make sure I have proper pressure, while the safety valve will make sure NG is never flowing when the gen is off.

What do you think? And I apologize if this is off-topic... There is just so little info on the web about this currently.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Maxitrol...tor-125000-BTU

Comment

Natural gas and LPG use different regulators and orifice sizes.

https://www.propane101.com/lpgasappl...onversions.htm

You may need to find a conversion kit to make the change if the generator is setup for LPG vs NG.

You may need to contact someone like https://centuryfuelproducts.com/gene...-kits/champion as they appear to have kits for the conversion.
                                Last edited by Jlawles2; 09-08-2023, 05:15 PM.
                                Joseph
                                Tow
                                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                                X