Simple solar with new 200ah lithium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple solar with new 200ah lithium

I've got the factory 165w solar panel, the 50A solar charge controller, and the PD9260C converter by Progressive Dynamics. I'm going to add a Enduro 200ah lithium or a SOK 200ah lithium(haven't decided yet). Without changing any of the items besides the batteries, will I be able to achieve full state of charge?
    I mostly camp at full hook-up sites. I want the lithium to run the 12v fridge while in transit to camping sites. I thought about removing the 165 panel and replacing with a single 300w panel if I can find one that fits the same brackets on the roof. But only if that's a necessity.
    Thank you for the helpful responses in advance...
    Mark & Yvonne
    2022 Reflection 303RLS
    2021 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LTZ
    B&M turnover ball
    Blue Ox Gooseneck-to-5th-Wheel Trailer Hitch Adapter

#1Bama

I do not believe that the PD9260C is a lithium compatible converter/charger. The factory solar controller will have settings for Lithium. The solar should "top" off your battery while on shore power but at 165W you will need plenty of sunshine to get that done. Going to a larger panel or adding a second panel will be beneficial. I would think on a typical day of travel your panel may keep up with the fridge usage. When on shore power if the converter/charger is not lithium compatible it will not bring the lithium battery to full charge. If you have the pendant for the converter/charger I think you can push the button to get it to "bulk charge" state but even then I do not think it will fully charge the lithium battery. Plus the wire length and gage from the converter/charger to the battery is pretty long and only 6 ga so it will not handle a large amperage to flow to the battery. I think you will be fine with what you have planned but watch the lithium battery carefully to see what charge rate it is getting and at what state of charge it is at. This will be a good add for you Amazon.com: Victron Energy SmartShunt 500 amp Battery Monitor (Bluetooth) : Automotive​. Install that between the negative on the battery where ever the factory battery negative is attached. This will help you keep track of your battery condition.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Another thing to check is the solar controller. Some of the 2022's mine included had Furrion solar controllers that would not stay in lithium mode. Overnight the controller loses PV voltage and the next morning when the PV gets sun again the controller reverts back to sealed. It's a fault with some of the controllers. It's a problem that many if not most will never notice as they never add lithium batteries. I just replaced my Furrion with an EPEVER controller.
      Nels & Vanessa
      2022 Reflection 31MB
      2022 Chevy 3500 4x4 SRW Standard Bed Duramax, BW OEM non slider hitch custom 7000 axles w dual panhard rods and G rated tires.

Comment

#1Bama
        When I first upgraded to LiFePo4 I experienced first hand the two issues that have already been addressed - non-lithium converter not reaching 100% SOC and the Furrion MPPT Charger defaulting to lead acid. I found that I could trick the PD9260C into “boost” mode and achieve 100% SOC. As Brian mentioned, Progressive Dynamics sells a Charge Wizard pendant that will force the converter into boost mode and charge at 14.4 volts for up to 8 hours. The problem, after 8 hours it will default back normal operation. If you keep an eye on the battery, either via built-in BMS or battery monitor, you can keep it fully charged.

I documented my test in a video - a lot like watching paint dry, but proof that your stock converter will do it. Since then, I added a second converter (PD9160AL) and will only use the stock converter when I want a fast charge while boon-docking.

Converter Video
        Electrical Upgrade Video

Link to Pendant
        Last edited by Jomani; 05-01-2023, 01:08 AM.
        2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
        2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder​
        YouTube Chanel

Comment

So when I switch to lithium, the first thing I need to do is change the converter to a lithium converter. Also, make sure the battery I get has Bluetooth so I can monitor its status. If I swap out the converter, will the MPPT stay in lithium mode?

Would this be safe to say?
          Mark & Yvonne
          2022 Reflection 303RLS
          B&M turnover ball

Comment

#1Bama Unfortunately the converter and MPPT are completely separate, so changing the converter does not solve the issue of the Furrion controller switching back to lead acid.

Also if you do not want to go the bluetooth battery route I second the Victron Smart Shunt Brian recommended. It is a great addition and makes seeing your state of charge and usage a cinch.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I have this with a shunt. I don't think it has Bluetooth. Will it work with lithium batteries?
              Mark & Yvonne
              2022 Reflection 303RLS
              B&M turnover ball

Comment

That one will work with lithium but you'll need to recalibrate it after the new setup is in, there are threads on here about how to do that with pdf instruction manuals linked. It does not have bluetooth but it'll work.
                David and Deana
                2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
                2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by #1Bama View Post
                  So when I switch to lithium, the first thing I need to do is change the converter to a lithium converter. Also, make sure the battery I get has Bluetooth so I can monitor its status. If I swap out the converter, will the MPPT stay in lithium mode?

Would this be safe to say?
                  Like ncitro said - separate issues. When I first created the converter video, I did a reset on the solar controller per Furrion. That seemed to work for about a week, then it reverted back to lead acid mode. After I installed the new converter, the solar controller stayed in lithium mode for just short of a week then reverted back I will be submitting a warranty claim to see if I can get it replaced.

2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
                  YouTube Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by Jomani View Post
                    #1Bama
                    Since then, I added a second converter (PD9160AL) and will only use the stock converter when I want a fast charge while boon-docking.
                    Did you really mean to say "boon-docking"? I could see you using both converters when hooked to shore power to charge the batteries faster.
                    Pat and Karen
                    2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

Originally posted by pengle View Post

Did you really mean to say "boon-docking"? I could see you using both converters when hooked to shore power to charge the batteries faster.
                      To get a faster charge when running generator. Sorry, should have been clearer. There shouldn’t be a need to use both when connected to shore power.
                      YouTube Chanel

Comment

I am happy to report that Grand Design has sent out a new Furrion 50 Amp MPPT Solar Controller to resolve the issue of it reverting back to lead acid mode. Pretty simple process - I contacted Lippert, we did a little troubleshooting, they opened a ticket and asked me to follow up with Grand Design since it is still under warranty. After an email to Grand Design the new unit went out the next day.

I will follow up after installing the new solar controller to see if that fixed the issue.
                        YouTube Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by Jomani View Post
                          I am happy to report that Grand Design has sent out a new Furrion 50 Amp MPPT Solar Controller to resolve the issue of it reverting back to lead acid mode. Pretty simple process - I contacted Lippert, we did a little troubleshooting, they opened a ticket and asked me to follow up with Grand Design since it is still under warranty. After an email to Grand Design the new unit went out the next day.

I will follow up after installing the new solar controller to see if that fixed the issue.
                          Hi - Did the new MPPT Solar Controller fix your issue of it reverting back to lead acid mode? We just upgraded to lithium and we are noticing our controller reverting to lead acid mode. Thanks. (early model, 2023, so ours easily could have been these 2022 controllers which have had problems)
                          Last edited by jaschembra; 03-12-2024, 08:56 PM.
                          Julie & Doug (& Finley)
                          2023 Reflection 337RLS
                          2011 Ford F350 SD 6.7 turbo

Comment

Originally posted by jaschembra View Post

Hi - Did the new MPPT Solar Controller fix your issue of it reverting back to lead acid mode? We just upgraded to lithium and we are noticing our controller reverting to lead acid mode. Thanks. (early model, 2023, so ours easily could have been these 2022 controllers which have had problems)
                            Definitely reach out to Grand Design or Lippert and ask for a new controller. Most have had this resolved with the new software in the controller.
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Definitely reach out to Grand Design or Lippert and ask for a new controller. Most have had this resolved with the new software in the controller.
                              Thanks, yes, we are in the process of getting them the info they have requested. I read a whole lot on the other thread with this problem.
                              Julie & Doug (& Finley)
                              2023 Reflection 337RLS
                              2011 Ford F350 SD 6.7 turbo

Comment

Working...
                              X