Adding Solar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Solar

I have a 2023 Reflection 280RS 150 - Has anyone added additional solar panels to your camper, and did you use the existing wiring or did you run new wiring? I just bought a Rich solar all in one split phase 6000W 48 Volt system. I have 4 - 365-Watt solar panels that I will be mounting. I'm debating on leaving the existing 160-Watt panel and place and the solar charge controller for the 12 Volt system. Then I would run new wires to all-in-one system for the 120VAC. I'm just struggling to find a place to run the wiring from the roof down into the basement of the camper. If anyone has done this before and has pictures or ideas that would be great. I'm also looking for a wiring diagram for my camper. I have a degree in electronics and was a residential electrician.

Comment
    Send​
    Last edited by Country Campers; 08-03-2023, 10:54 AM. Reason: changed font to Forum standard

cjgdiver61I think you will find the factory wiring to be 10 gauge, and their intent was for you to be able to add two more of the same sized panels in series with that size wire. That big of panels, and if you want them in parallel or series-parallel combination, I would think you will be running bigger or at least additional wire. There are several posts on here with solar upgrades, not necessarily with your floorplan, but a lot of the fifth wheels will be similar. My rig was older and not solar prepped so I had to run my own wire. I was able to cut out the back of a cabinet and get into the interior wall, and then from there could drill up through the roof and fish down to a hole I drilled in the bottom of the wall.

WondersAwait Has a 303 and added additional panels to his factory system and had a pretty good write up on it.
    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...2435#post92435

Also here is a member who added panels to his Imagine, not a fifth wheel but a good read:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/1...l-installation

To your last question, you can reach out to Grand Design and they will share with you the electrical plan they use for building the rig, but given your background you will be unimpressed with it and find it to be mostly useless. It is just a guide they use to pull in wire and does not give any information about where or how wiring is run, that is left up to the installer on the line and can vary from unit to unit.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Moved to Solar Channel.

cjgdiver61 There are quite a few threads in this Solar Channel on adding solar.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by cjgdiver61 View Post
        I'm also looking for a wiring diagram for my camper.​
        Hands down the #1 request from owners...but you won't find one. No doubt you are incredulous and find it hard to believe, but read the Welcome Letter---it's such a common topic it's even mentioned there that a schematic wiring diagram does not exist.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

My Momentum didn't come with solar or prepped for it, so the install of mine was a snap. If it already had a panel and controller, I would have torn everything out and started from scratch. Simple and less stressful.
          2019 28G Momentum TT

Comment

Working...
          X