Victron vs. Jaboni Solar Charge Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victron vs. Jaboni Solar Charge Controller

I am in the process of adding an additional 1-2 solar panels to my 23G. It came with one 175W Jaboni solar panel and the 30A Jaboni SCC. I'm looking to add 1-2 more 175W panels, and if my math is correct if I add the 3rd panel I should also change out the SCC to a 50A version. Note that I also have upgraded my batteries to two LION Energy 105Ah batteries so the could absorb the higher current.

Question is this. If I'm going to change out the SCC, is there a reason to stick with the Jaboni 50A model or move to the Victron? They both appear to be very similar in price.

I already installed the Victron Smart Shunt, so the advantage I see with moving to the Victron SCC would be only one app on my phone to monitor both the SCC and Smart Shunt.

Thanks for any thoughts!
    2022 Momentum 23G
    2018 Ford F150 3.5L

BadgerBiker I would be surprised if you would exceed 30A with three 175 watt panels. Also, if you are going more than 30A you will need to upgrade or add to the 10 gauge wire run down from the roof as its only rated to 30A as well. That said if you are looking to jump ship to Victron, I would definitely do it as I also like to be in one ecosystem, but I would think the 30A Victron should be adequate. I know quite a few people who have made the switch and run three 200 watt panels off the Victron 30A (assuming you run the panels in series). Obviously check the voltage and current specs of your panel to be sure.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thank you for the reply, ncitro. Maybe I'm confused. I was referring to the output current from the SCC to the batteries going from 30A to upwards of 40+A if I have (3) 175W panels. 525W coming from the 3 panels divided by 12VDC of the batteries yielding a max possible 43.75A for charging, and with my current 30A SCC I would be limiting the charging possibility to the batteries. Did I do something wrong in my calcs?

I don't WANT to change controllers if it's not necessary, I thought I needed to in order to take advantage of the power 3 panels would produce.
      2022 Momentum 23G
      2018 Ford F150 3.5L

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerBiker View Post
        I am in the process of adding an additional 1-2 solar panels to my 23G. It came with one 175W Jaboni solar panel and the 30A Jaboni SCC. I'm looking to add 1-2 more 175W panels, and if my math is correct if I add the 3rd panel I should also change out the SCC to a 50A version. Note that I also have upgraded my batteries to two LION Energy 105Ah batteries so the could absorb the higher current.

Question is this. If I'm going to change out the SCC, is there a reason to stick with the Jaboni 50A model or move to the Victron? They both appear to be very similar in price.

I already installed the Victron Smart Shunt, so the advantage I see with moving to the Victron SCC would be only one app on my phone to monitor both the SCC and Smart Shunt.

Thanks for any thoughts!
        If you have 3 of the 175W panels in series, you have a total of 525W. The Victron 100/30 is good up to 400W. You'll have to go to the 100/50 which is good up to 700W. It looks like the Jaboni 30 amp solar charge controller is good up to 400W and the 50 amp is good up to 660W. In other words if you add 2 more panels, you will have to upgrade your solar charge controller.

If you wire the 3 panels in series, you will be good with 16 awg wires from solar array to solar charge controller. Your current will be low so the wire size will be small. GD typically uses 10 awg wires from solar array to solar charge controller.....so you should be good there. wire from solar charge controller to batteries will require 4awg wires (up to 15' length....if it's longer, go with 2 awg) as you might see up to about 50 amps from the solar charge controller.

Now, if you add 3 more 175W panels, you could do 2 series/2 parallel and use the 100/50. The wiring from solar array to solar charge controller would need to be 10awg and the wire from solar charge controller to battery will need to be 4 awg up to 15'..2 awg up to 25'. Just saying

Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Thanks acoleman43 for confirming. That being the case, I think it makes sense to change out the Solar Controller to the Victron if price is the same. I verified last evening that I have 10AWG from the solar panel to the SCC and the same 10AWG 2-conductor cable from the SCC to the battery. The hard wiring part is already done (panels to controller), upgrading the wire from the SCC to the battery is easy.
          2022 Momentum 23G
          2018 Ford F150 3.5L

Comment

Thanks acoleman43 for confirming. That being the case, I think it makes sense to change out the Solar Controller to the Victron if price is the same. I verified last evening that I have 10AWG from the solar panel to the SCC and the same 10AWG 2-conductor cable from the SCC to the battery. The hard wiring part is already done (panels to controller), upgrading the wire from the SCC to the battery is easy.
            You would theoretically be clipping your output with the 30A controller but I'd be surprised in practice if you get much more than that in practice. I run 1200 watts of panels and I think the most I've seen was 1,000, and usually it's far less than that. You will not hurt anything with too small a controller as long as you don't exceed the voltage. That said if you're going to move to victron anyway I'd definitely get the 50A.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

You would theoretically be clipping your output with the 30A controller but I'd be surprised in practice if you get much more than that in practice. I run 1200 watts of panels and I think the most I've seen was 1,000, and usually it's far less than that. You will not hurt anything with too small a controller as long as you don't exceed the voltage.
              So it sounds like upgrading the Solar Controller can be something I do later. I like that.
              2022 Momentum 23G
              2018 Ford F150 3.5L

Comment

So it sounds like upgrading the Solar Controller can be something I do later. I like that.

Definitely

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                X