Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 Solitude 376RD Solar

Howdy all!

So as with anything new these days we've had some issues with our new Solitude and its been to the shop a couple of times. This last trip I went to pick it up and found the batteries were DOA. So, replaced with a fresh pair and on my way.

After pondering the dead battery scenario in my cranium for a few days I began to wonder why the solar panels did'nt keep them charged?

So long story short, new 5th wheel trying still to get a handle on it all and the solar thing has me perplexed. The online manuals leave a lot to be desired. I cant get my solar to hook up to my phone via Bluetooth tech and my WFCO monitor says "DC STATUS Comm Fail" I cant get it to do anything with the buttons and there is a green light.

Any help would be much appreciated. ​​​
    George & Casey
    2023 Solitude 376RD
    2020 Chevy 3500 High Country

Freetoflygeorge

First question: what solar controller is in your Solitude? (GD has many different models over the years.) The WFCO referenced in your post is most likely the converter, not the solar controller.

Please take a picture of the face of the solar controller so any lights are recorded. Also, a picture of the wiring to and from the controller will help diagnose the issue.

Second: do you own and know how to use a multimeter?

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks Howard for replying. Short answer yes I have multi-meter, no I have-not used it. I would love to comply with your request for pictures but the unit is in the shop. I went to pick it up last week and the batteries were completely drained. Isn't the solar supposed to keep them charged? All new to me. I realize its all weather related but I don't believe anything was left on in the tailer other than small draw stuff. I cant tell you how long it sat with out additional power, they had it for approx 5 weeks. When I get it back I'll update.
      George & Casey
      2023 Solitude 376RD
      2020 Chevy 3500 High Country

Comment

Originally posted by Freetoflygeorge View Post
        Thanks Howard for replying. Short answer yes I have multi-meter, no I have-not used it. I would love to comply with your request for pictures but the unit is in the shop. I went to pick it up last week and the batteries were completely drained. Isn't the solar supposed to keep them charged? All new to me. I realize its all weather related but I don't believe anything was left on in the tailer other than small draw stuff. I cant tell you how long it sat with out additional power, they had it for approx 5 weeks. When I get it back I'll update.
        Could be a number of things. When you have your trailer back start digging into the issue. Howard is much smarter than me so I would listen to him

Trouble shooting will consist of determining if you are getting electricity where it should be. My guess is you are not. The multimeter will help identify where the issue lies.
        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

If your trailer was in the shop when the batteries drained, was it under a cover or in a bay while being worked on? If so, the solar would not keep up.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I'm going to guess that the trailer was dropped off and someone flipped the battery disconnect. This will still leave all of the small draw things drawing power, but most likely will not leave the solar connected.

5 weeks and the batteries will most definitely be depleted.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
              someone flipped the battery disconnect. This will still leave all of the small draw things drawing power, but most likely will not leave the solar connected.
              Joseph, I may misunderstand what you're trying to say here but the battery disconnect has nothing to do with the solar being connected or not. The panels run directly to the solar charge controller and then directly to the battery.
              Paul and Deb Cervone
              2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
              2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
              2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

It is possible that the solar is connected to the bus bar instead of directly to the battery. If this is the case, then the battery disconnect will break the connection between the solar and the battery.
                Joseph
                Tow
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                  It is possible that the solar is connected to the bus bar instead of directly to the battery. If this is the case, then the battery disconnect will break the connection between the solar and the battery.
                  Okay, I learned something new. I've yet to hear of a setup in this configuration. Thanks.
                  Paul and Deb Cervone
                  2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                  2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
                  2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Paul & Deb Paul, there have been several discussions leading to finding out that the solar is connected in various ways and not always directly to the battery.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                    X