Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make a XT-60 connection from the solar wires coming from the roof??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make a XT-60 connection from the solar wires coming from the roof??

Hello, first time posting on the forum. I have read through the solar section of this forum and didn't see exactly my situation. I am hoping some of the knowledgeable folks here can help me out. I have a 2023 23BHE. I want to take the cables coming from my factory-installed Furion 165-watt solar panel and hook them up somehow (probably have to use some type of adapter or split) to an XT-60 connector that I can plug into an Anker 767 power station to charge it with solar power.

I assumed I could just remove the cables from the back of the factory solar controller. I am very green when it comes to this topic. Can this be done? Is there an easier way for me to do what I need to do?

Is there a break in the cable somewhere from the roof to the controller, perhaps where there is a breaker or fuse? Could I find such a spot and then run a seperate cable from this spot with a XT-60 connector on the one end?

If I am going to go through this trouble, should I be adding in a shutoff breaker from the solar wires coming from the roof?

You can add a switch between the panel and the factory solar controller. This could be a 3-way switch to allow you to totally disconnect solar, send solar to the factory controller, send solar to your Anker unit. From the added switch add a wire with your specific plug needed and you should be good to go.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

XT60 connectors are pretty easy to come by. https://www.amazon.com/Wolfwhoop-XT6...s%2C111&sr=8-7

You may need to make an extension cable.

Yes you will need a breaker of some type.

You could use a rotary switch with a couple of jumper wires that will give you control of where the power is going while breaking both connections at the same time. https://www.amazon.com/APIELE-Warran...zcF9hdGY&psc=1
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks to both of you for your comments. I have the cable and selector in my Amazon cart. The only thing I am now wondering about is that when I am not using the Anker 767 and have the switch back to the Furrion solar controller, it will trip because, with 3 panels on the roof, I will exceed the 300w of the controller. Any ideas on this issue other than a new controller? It will be two Renogy 100-watt panels and the factory 165-watt Furrion panel. I am new to solar, are the chances of those 3 panels pulling more than 300 watts on a normal day not high enough to be worried about? I know it depends on the cloud cover, angle, etc. So in other words, just because in theory I could get up to 365 watts, that doesn't mean in reality that will happen.

Comment

I would think you should be fine. My question would be is the wire from the solar panels the correct size for the amperage output of the solar panels? How are the panels wired, series or parallel?

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            I would think you should be fine. My question would be is the wire from the solar panels the correct size for the amperage output of the solar panels? How are the panels wired, series or parallel?

Brian
            What size would it need to be to support the stock Furrion and the two new Renogy 100w panels?
            Open Circuit Voltage 24.3 V each for the 2 Renogy panels

Furrion 165 w panel Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) 23.12V​​
            Max Power current for Furrion: 8.82A
            Short Circut 9.49

For Renogy
            Optimum Operating Current: 4.91A
            Short Circut: 5.21 A

Both say 15amp fuse rating

I don't have the Renogy panels yet so I haven't hooked them up in parallel or series yet. I need to research the differences between the two options and crunch the numbers. Any suggestions based on your knowledge?
            Last edited by Linkinyeah; 10-16-2023, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I was thinking about getting this xt-60 to o-ring cable and just cutting off the o-ring end to get the wires to go into the switch. It is a 12 gauge wire. Any thoughts? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C964KCQF/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A69X5KMJHM850&scrlybrkr=1738 d361&th=1

Here is the switch I was thinking about getting just because it has a box that could cover everything as well. Any thoughts?
              https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...BUHD1UD8&psc=1

Comment

Linkinyeah

I believe that GD is using 10 ga wire for the line between the solar panel and the solar controller, check this to be sure, I think that will be adequate for what you are doing providing you do not exceed the wire capabilities. Have a read of the information in the first post of this thread Presentation Materials for Solar-101 Discussion , this will help you along the way.

I do not think the 12 ga wire will be sufficient on the connector and I think you should go with a higher amperage switch, 30 amps or more.

TucsonJim and others with way more knowledge will be along with more helpful tips.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Cable and switch look fine. Just make certain you have enough cable to reach the plug on the bank you are charging.

Don't forget you will need to jump the switch so that you can flip power from one device to the other.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    Cable and switch look fine. Just make certain you have enough cable to reach the plug on the bank you are charging.

Don't forget you will need to jump the switch so that you can flip power from one device to the other.
                    By jumping the switch you mean running a set of cables from the solar controller to the switch?

Comment

Linkinyeah If you look at the switch diagram you will need to jump terminals 1 to 3 and 5 to 7 from the solar controller so you can direct the outputs to the proper location. The way the switch is built, it is basically 4 sets of contacts.

If you put positive on terminal 1 and negative on terminal 7, jumping 1-3 and 5-7 will allow you to direct power to terminals 2 and 6 in Pos 1 and terminals 4 and 8 in Pos 2.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	193
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	121866
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

If you don't have the panels yet, you should watch this so you are getting the most solar from your panels.
                        https://youtu.be/jejro4zkl8I?si=4Reaf0TAO9TkusfS
                        He's great in explaining all the solar.

Jeff House
                        Jeff & Pam
                        2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Originally posted by prahawalker View Post
                          If you don't have the panels yet, you should watch this so you are getting the most solar from your panels.
                          https://youtu.be/jejro4zkl8I?si=4Reaf0TAO9TkusfS
                          He's great in explaining all the solar.

Jeff House
                          Oddly enough, I watched this video this morning. I am wondering if I am doing all this work I would be better off going ahead and switching to a lithium battery 100amph. I need to research what all that would entail for a Grand Design. I would move it inside the pass through and I don't know how/what I would need to do to move wires. Also, I wonder if I would have to change something in the control/fuse ox inside the camper.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkinyeah View Post

Oddly enough, I watched this video this morning. I am wondering if I am doing all this work I would be better off going ahead and switching to a lithium battery 100amph. I need to research what all that would entail for a Grand Design. I would move it inside the pass through and I don't know how/what I would need to do to move wires. Also, I wonder if I would have to change something in the control/fuse ox inside the camper.
                            Oh definitely go with Lithium. There are many posts on this forum as to why but you really should. I went with Lithium and put 400 Ah of batteries under my murphy bed. The rest of the installation is at this link.
                            https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/1...265#post119265
                            Lithium has become very cost effective now and you won't ruin your batteries if you run them down to zero.

Jeff House
                            Jeff & Pam
                            2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Working...
                            X