Furrion mttp 50 not charging in bulk mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion mttp 50 not charging in bulk mode

Has anyone experienced solar charger not charging battery? I have a 200 amp li-time lithium battery and 370 watt Furrion panel connected to the solar charger.The lights come on when the sun comes up green for lithium and the other green light blinking slowly. Checked voltage fron
    m panel and had 37.8 volts coming to charger bu
    t battery was at 38%and from 8:00 til 2:00 went to 39%. The only draw is 12v refrigerator and other parasitic draws 5 to 7 amps.when fridge stops it’s only .878 to 1 When checking the voltage leaving the solar charger to battery it shows what the battery voltage is 13.0-13.1
    Tim and Betty
    2016 F250 4x4 Anderson 3307 WDH
    2023 Reflection 315 RLTS
    PD5100&Giandel 2200 watt inv.
    Furrion 50amp Solar Controller 370 watt panel

Furrion solar charge controllers have been known to revert back to lead acid settings when loosing solar power. Try changing the setting to solar and see if it holds during daylight hours. If this is the case I believe that Furrion, or Lippert, will replace the unit.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

It stays on lithium ,this is a new 315 RLTS, I’ve had it on shore power at my house and disconnected to see how the solar would keep up the battery. I did change my converter pd 9260 to a pd 9360 lithium compatible, but with shore power off it has no power . It seems like the solar thinks it’s charging and the Furrion monitor inside shows the up arrow and is blinking like it’s charging.
      Tim and Betty
      2023 Reflection 315 RLTS

Comment

I did a hard reset on it late this afternoon, I’ll see what happens tomorrow. It should start out in bulk and put out 20 -30amps til the battery gets up to 80%or more shouldn’t ot
        Tim and Betty
        2023 Reflection 315 RLTS

Comment

Did you reset the Furrion battery monitor to match the new battery specs?

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            Did you reset the Furrion battery monitor to match the new battery specs?

Brian
            Yes this was my thought is the monitor may not be setup correctly.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Yes I dropped battery to 10.8amps/1%and charged to 100%and set both parameters,looked at 6:00 this morning battery at 39%with .884 amp draw,at 12:00 with 36.7 bolts from panel battery was at 44% monitor showed 12 amps going in battery.Am I wrong thinking a 370 watt panel should keep the battery charged with no more than 6-7 amp draw
              Tim and Betty
              2023 Reflection 315 RLTS

Comment

Originally posted by Timsttrv View Post
                Yes I dropped battery to 10.8amps/1%and charged to 100%and set both parameters,looked at 6:00 this morning battery at 39%with .884 amp draw,at 12:00 with 36.7 bolts from panel battery was at 44% monitor showed 12 amps going in battery.Am I wrong thinking a 370 watt panel should keep the battery charged with no more than 6-7 amp draw
                Well if you are getting 12 amps into the battery, and its down to 44%, that would mean the battery needs nine hours of that much sun to reach full charge. Obviously the sun tapers as the day goes on, so over time you could see the charge fall lower and lower. 7 Amp draw would drain your battery in 28 hours with no sun, with sun it would probably not reach full. I would think you want either more battery (to get you longer use) or more solar panels (to get you more sun during the day).
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

If you have a DC clamp meter you could put that on the ouput of the solar controller and see how many amps are going in to the battery. I would guess that the solar panel should put out about 15 or so amps to the controller so the controller should put out that or more. That being said the panel should keep up with the draw.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I will check with clamp meter at most sunny time, think the hard reset helped some it did get to 52%today but stops charging around 2:30 each day.
                    Tim and Betty
                    2023 Reflection 315 RLTS

Comment

Tim,
                      Just a dumb thought…. When we picked up our 2024 303RLS the dealer had bypassed the shunt on the Furrion battery monitor when they hooked up our batteries. This gave me a false reading that out solar wasn’t charging correctly and our batteries were not charged. After I wired all the grounds to the shunt, I was getting a full charged battery bank. If this isn’t the case for you, then what Brian and Nell suggest is the way to go.
                      Jerry & Debbie Johnson
                      2023 Reflection 303RLS
                      2014 Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins

Comment

Ok finally got to check with clamp meter and have 6.3 amps coming from panel and 14.3 going to battery from solar charger,monitor inside shows 13.6 going into battery. Maybe it’s right ,I thought it would pump out more amps when in bulk mode like the converter it hits 30 to 40 amps
                        Tim and Betty
                        2023 Reflection 315 RLTS

Comment

Originally posted by Timsttrv View Post
                          Ok finally got to check with clamp meter and have 6.3 amps coming from panel and 14.3 going to battery from solar charger,monitor inside shows 13.6 going into battery. Maybe it’s right ,I thought it would pump out more amps when in bulk mode like the converter it hits 30 to 40 amps
                          Tim -- I didn't read through this whole thread, just commenting on your last post.

The (laboratory ideal) operating parameters for the Furrion 370W panel where found here: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0006127.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	137
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	122901

So if the current going to the controller was 6.3A, that's about 58% of the panel's capability. (Not an unusual reading depending on a lot of factors.) Assuming the panel was at or near 34V, the power output at that moment in time was ~214W.

214W divided by a battery charging voltage of 13.6v means the current could have been as high as 15.7A. The actual measurement was 14.3A. Not surprising at all due to the many micro-losses in a low power system (wiring, connectors, etc) along with any draw from the camper itself.

Howard

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for the input. Thinking about adding another panel to get the most out of the Furrion controler. I see where it only utilizes 600 watts,so another 200 watt panel for now ,I’m thinking.
                            Tim and Betty
                            2023 Reflection 315 RLTS

Comment

Working...
                            X