Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 226RK Inverter install

Hi All:

Just wanted to get some thoughts on the inverter install I am looking to do. here is what i am planning

1. put a solid piece of wood as a backer board for the front compartment back wall.
    2. use the inverter prep wire for a transfer switch with the power applied to that when plugged into the shore power
    3. Inverter will become live when loss of shore power

I have 2 100AH lithium batteries

I am looking for this to run the microwave in the morning to heat breakfast and maybe watch TV at night before bed. maybe charge the phones. I do have a propane generator that I will run when needed. I also have a 12-volt for my CPAP already back at the bed. I removed the USB plug that was there and replaced it with the 12-volt outlet.

1. I will also install some fuses in place which should be in place and some disconnects and breakers

I am thinking of a 2200W inverter. I already have the 63A BASKER DC breaker which I plan to use as the solar panel disconnect.

does two 100AH batteries seem like that would be enough for what I am looking at? also, is a 2200W inverter a good choice for this build-out? (I will not be starting this project till the summer as the unti is in storage for the winter.)

I have the 50 AMP solar Controller with a 370W panel on the roof.
    2022 Grand Design Reflections 150 226RK GMC 3500 HD Turbo.

Originally posted by Ccreed View Post
    Hi All:

I also have a 12-volt for my CPAP already back at the bed. I removed the USB plug that was there and replaced it with the 12-volt outlet.
    Ccreed Sounds like your on the right track, but I will let the experts answer your question.

However on you CPAP on the 12V using the wiring that was the USB port. Did you tie into the 14 awg wire that fed this plug. On my 220RK (very similar to yours) I found that circuit did not have the capacity to run my CPAP You might want to check your CPAP for power need and see what else that circuit is powering and what it is fused for. If you have issues I have a CPAP power point install posted here that should work for your trailer. Good luck on the inverter. I was going to suggest a Victron Multiplus unit as it simplifies the install as you tie all the 120V circuits through it. Of course you cant run everything. But saves you the transfer switch wiring and additional sub panel.

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Hi All:

Just wanted to get some thoughts on the inverter install I am looking to do. here is what i am planning

1. put a solid piece of wood as a backer board for the front compartment back wall.
      2. use the inverter prep wire for a transfer switch with the power applied to that when plugged into the shore power

I am looking for this to run the microwave in the morning to heat breakfast and maybe watch TV at night before bed. maybe charge the phones. I do have a propane generator that I will run when needed. I also have a 12-volt for my CPAP already back at the bed. I removed the USB plug that was there and replaced it with the 12-volt outlet.

1. I will also install some fuses in place which should be in place and some disconnects and breakers

I am thinking of a 2200W inverter. I already have the 63A BASKER DC breaker which I plan to use as the solar panel disconnect.

does two 100AH batteries seem like that would be enough for what I am looking at? also, is a 2200W inverter a good choice for this build-out? (I will not be starting this project till the summer as the unti is in storage for the winter.)

Here are my thoughts: A 2200W inverter is plenty if you don't plan to run the A/C. If you need a 2200W inverter you will need more batteries. If you run near capacity with this inverter you will only be able to run for about an hour. The good news is that if you find your batteries running low often you can always add more later. Chances are you won't run your 1500W microwave for an hour but you do want to watch TV and you don't want to head to bead with a half dead battery. Your cpap and your furnace will need to run all night.
      Trib
      2019 Freightliner Cascadia 126
      2021 Momentum 320G
      2021 Road Glide Limited
      See you down the road!!

Comment

Hi All:

It looks possible. A microwave will draw about 1000W, CPAP will draw about 50W which a 2200W inverter will handle without issue.

There are a few ways to accomplish what you want. First, which inverter are you looking at? Does your 226RK have a 2 way fridge (AC/propane) or a DC fridge? Are you planning on charging phones/computers during the night? Will you have fans running through the night? Basically, what will you have running all night?

I ask because, depending on what your power demands are during the night, you may not have enough battery. Our typical night (between sunset and sunrise) draws about 2300W (or about 200AH of 12V battery). This would drain your batteries during the night and the single 370W panel would take at least 7 hours (but probably 10-11 hours, or 2 days of sun) to recharge your batteries WITHOUT any power use during that time. As mentioned by Trib, you may need more batteries.

Is your rig 30A or do you have the upgraded 50A? A 50A rig may affect how your options as far as wiring an inverter as well.
        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I have a 50 AMP service on the rig with the inverter prep. I envision using the inverter to power only things like the TV before bed and the Microwave for coffee or breakfast in the AM. CPAP will be running off the battery but not through an inverter. As the 12-volt is direct, I have a 12-volt fridge. I would only be using this say stopping in between camping locations if I pulled off at a truck stop or something for some sleep and then back on the road in the AM I have not had any issues running my CPAP in the past off 12 volts in our old setup which was a trailer could run CPAP for two or three nights no issues and the furnace. I assume only thing running on the furnace is the blower and that should be not running all night long.
          2022 Grand Design Reflections 150 226RK GMC 3500 HD Turbo.

Comment

Working...
          X