This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest (Jim),

While testing today I ran into my previous problem--the system sees a low battery condition and shuts down. As in completely off.

I'm really not too surprised as I made a LOT of changes in a very short time without methodical testing after each change. AMSolar won't assist me and Victron won't talk to the end user, so I get to figure this out myself. I actually enjoy working this type of problem, so it's just a matter of having the time and careful documentation.

I removed the ESS and reloaded AMSolar's standard configuration in the Multiplus so I have a known starting point. I also disconnected the Renogy's output from the Multiplus. (It's off so it shouldn't be causing a problem, but best to remove all the variables as I step through this problem.)

I then loaded down the inverter and I had it run both air conditioners, the microwave AND the toaster oven before the inverter went into overload. The batteries, however, continued to send power and the system did not shut down. So it is something in the ESS and/or DVCC settings. I was surprised by how low the battery voltage registered while under the heavy load (see below). That's definitely a clue to my issue.

Click image for larger version  Name:	High Load.JPG Views:	0 Size:	59.8 KB ID:	14012

After confirming everything worked as expected again, I re-enabled DVCC (only). One item I changed from the previous config is I did not enable LIMIT CHARGE CURRENT. The Battle Born BMS is protecting the batteries from drawing too much current, so why choke down my solar and inverter if power is available?

The only option that is enabled is SVS - Shared Voltage Sense. I know the BMV and SmartSolar are networked over VE.Smart Networking, but I need to read more about that network to understand that capability better.

Thanks for following along.

Howard
    Last edited by howson; 03-11-2020, 08:18 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

TucsonJim (or anyone else with Battle Born batteries),
      Can you run a test for me on your system, please? What I'm asking is to ensure your batteries are at 100%, then load them down to the maximum capability of your inverter--into overload if your inverter will do it for a minute or two. Please disable any PV (solar) prior to the test so the batteries have to provide all of the power to the inverter. Then take a screenshot of the BMV-712 so the current and voltage readings are registered.

Thanks!

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Guest ,
        Well that didn't take long. Per the VESmartNetworking manual: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/v...art-networking

3.2 Limitations
        • VE.Smart Networking is designed for small systems which do not have a GX device - such as a Color Control GX or Venus GX. In systems which have a GX device, do not use VE.Smart Networking (I added emphasis.)

I'm disabling the network now. I can't believe I'm just now figuring this out...sheesh.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Howard,

Nice that you got it figured out. Did you disconnect the CAN line from the GX? Looks like it should not be plugged in.

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2020, 09:40 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry, guys. I used to think I'm a pretty bright guy and pick up on things rather quickly. However, after reading through this thread, I feel like I've been listening to this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

(The other) Rob
            Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
            (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
              Howard,

Nice that you got it figured out. Did you disconnect the CAN line from the GX? Looks like it should not be plugged in.

Jim
              There's nothing on the CAN bus connected to the CCGX. I'm no expert, but from the reading I've done a CAN enabled device is typically a battery. Obviously not applicable to a Battle Born.

There are four connections utilized on my CCGX. VEDirect 1 and 2 go to the BMV-712 and SmartSolar MPPT, respectively. An ethernet cable connects the Multiplus inverter, and finally a power wire.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Howard is it me or is the verbiage in their manuals extremely small in print? Looking over the BMV712 Smart manual this morning and had to switch to the laptop and zoomed in a bit. LOL

Jim
                Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2020, 07:50 AM.

Comment

I realize this thread is of little interest to the majority of GD owners, but for the few who may have a Victron system I'll continue to post what I learn. If you're not familiar with my configuration, these threads may help:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-in-a-315rlts

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/1...n-2019-315rlts

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-battle-borns

I managed to get an afternoon of testing done on a recent camping trip. Below is part one of two posts with the results (a total of 10 slides). I still have more testing to do, but this is (I think!) a good start.

Slides 1-5:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	223.4 KB ID:	14251

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	101.6 KB ID:	14252

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	182.0 KB ID:	14253

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide4.JPG Views:	0 Size:	229.5 KB ID:	14254

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide5.JPG Views:	0 Size:	139.9 KB ID:	14255
                  The next post will have slides 6-10.
                  Last edited by howson; 03-11-2020, 08:22 PM.

Howard & Francine

Comment

...continued from post 23

Slides 6-10

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide6.JPG
Views:	686
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	14174

Name:	Slide7.JPG
Views:	632
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	14175

Name:	Slide8.JPG
Views:	625
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	14176

Name:	Slide9.JPG
Views:	640
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	14177

Name:	Slide10.JPG
Views:	636
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	14178

Howard & Francine

Comment

By George I think I've got it! The pictures below are slides 1 thru 4 and 28 of a presentation that I'll link in the next post.

Name:	Slide1.JPG
Views:	625
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	14235

Name:	Slide2.JPG
Views:	629
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	14236

Name:	Slide3.JPG
Views:	616
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	14237

Name:	Slide4.JPG
Views:	629
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	14238

Name:	Slide28.JPG
Views:	633
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	14239

Howard & Francine

Comment

The attached PDF (link at the bottom of this post) is the comprehensive presentation consisting of all 28 slides.

One more slide I'd like to post since I doubt many will wade through all 28 in the PDF. I'd not actually accounted for this reality but it was obvious during testing today what was happening.

Name:	Slide27.JPG
Views:	636
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	14244

Any questions, let me know. Unless something unexpected arises or there's a question this will likely be the last post from me in this thread.

Testing Configuration Slides - 10 Mar.pdf
                        Last edited by howson; 03-11-2020, 05:05 PM.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Howard,

I thoroughly enjoy your write ups. Setting your ESS to shut down the Inverter before relying on the BB BMS is the perfect solution. Best to let the BMS function as a redundant system.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                            Howard,

I thoroughly enjoy your write ups. Setting your ESS to shut down the Inverter before relying on the BB BMS is the perfect solution. Best to let the BMS function as a redundant system.

Jim
                            Thanks, Jim. The solar panels are powering the dehumidifier (without using the batteries and without any intervention on my part) even though the the camper is connected to shore power. I'm a happy camper!

Name:	happy.JPG
Views:	642
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	14311

Howard & Francine

Comment

This thread is awesome. For folks that really want to learn, this is the type of information to read! Thank you howson!
                              Current: 2023 Grand Design Momentum 395MS-R. FBP, dual pane windows, 3rd A/C, heat pump, Fosgate, etc.

Truck: 2015 F350 DRW Platinum - Black.

Previous: 2021 Grand Design Momentum 376THS-R. FBP, dual pane windows, 3rd A/C, heat pump.

Comment

Originally posted by shaferz View Post
                                This thread is awesome. For folks that really want to learn, this is the type of information to read! Thank you howson!
                                You are most welcome. I'm experimenting with the "Battery Life" setting right now. Not ready to document anything but I'll have more info in the future in this thread.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Working...
                                X