No announcement yet.

Lead Acid to Lithium Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2023 3500 with everything but the stereo in the tailgate. It is not a big deal as I only use the app for remote start
    Rob, Betsy and Kali (Rhodesian Ridgeback)
    2022 Solitude-S 2930RL
    2023 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax Denali

Comment

Originally posted by rtrainer View Post
      2023 3500 with everything but the stereo in the tailgate. It is not a big deal as I only use the app for remote start
      See if you can run the LM2 data stream and get the same information. I think they did not change the data stream except in the ultimates.

Worth a shot though.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

A caution on installing a Lifepo4 capable converter in the original location. I did this and despite the converter manufacturer data that 6 ga wire was acceptable between converter and batteries, my Victron shunt was telling me that charge rate was restricted to about 20A with the 10 ft run of OE 6 ga. I moved the new converter to within a foot of the batteries and wired with 4 ga. Charge rate is now at 55A which is the capacity of the converter.

Another plus of putting the converter in the front compartment of the 5th wheel rather than behind the aft wall of the pass through is that the cycling cooling fan is no longer audible inside the trailer.

Rob
        I'm wondering if there is more to this? 6ga free air rating is 80 amps. Most RV DC battery wiring is fairly close to a free air style of installation 60amps in a cable. I'm not doubting what you saw, but wondering if the 6ga run was really the culprit. Maybe connections? I have 3.3mm wire from converter to battery and saw 40a when the battery was around 60%....but the converter was running other stuff in the trailer as well. So I was resonably happy with that.
        FYI 3.3mm wire is in between #6 and #8. Wonder if GD uses metric wire on units for Canada?!? First time I ever saw metric wire designation in wire smaller than the MCM cables.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

I'm wondering if there is more to this? 6ga free air rating is 80 amps. Most RV DC battery wiring is fairly close to a free air style of installation 60amps in a cable. I'm not doubting what you saw, but wondering if the 6ga run was really the culprit. Maybe connections? I have 3.3mm wire from converter to battery and saw 40a when the battery was around 60%....but the converter was running other stuff in the trailer as well. So I was resonably happy with that.
          FYI 3.3mm wire is in between #6 and #8. Wonder if GD uses metric wire on units for Canada?!? First time I ever saw metric wire designation in wire smaller than the MCM cables.
          Agreed that the OE 6 ga wire should have worked better. Even the converter manufacturer specs indicate this. The original wiring from converter to batteries disappears down into the underbelly and may have high resistance connections down there somewhere. Rather than open up the coroplast and dig through that maze, I moved the new converter closer to the batteries . . . as much to get the cycling cooling fan to where we couldn't hear it as to shorten the recharge time.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Rather than open up the coroplast and dig through that maze, I moved the new converter closer to the batteries . . . as much to get the cycling cooling fan to where we couldn't hear it as to shorten the recharge time.

Rob
            For sure. Closer to the battery or batteries is definitely a plus regardless...and I agree with the cooling fan. The PowerMax we have now is a bit louder than the WFCO we removed.
            By the way, did you just wood screw the converter to the front compartment back wall?

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            2021 303RLS
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Working...
            X