No announcement yet.

Adding Lithium batteries to a 2021 Xls 22 RBE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My concern about switching to lithium batteries is the charging restrictions when it gets below freezing. I have 370 watt solar panel that keeps my AGM charged. I messed up when I first got this trailer and I put it in storage. I turned off the solar disconnect and the battery died. It was a PITA to remove the 50 pound battery to replace it with a new one. My dealer supplied a new AGM battery so I did not switch to lithium at that time. I am debating on two group 24 batteries which are lighter or one group 31 battery, but this one weighs close to 50 pounds. If I did not have to remove the battery or batteries each winter a bigger one would not be a problem.
    Raymond and Dee Dee
    2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
    2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by reubenray View Post
      My concern about switching to lithium batteries is the charging restrictions when it gets below freezing. I have 370 watt solar panel that keeps my AGM charged. I messed up when I first got this trailer and I put it in storage. I turned off the solar disconnect and the battery died. It was a PITA to remove the 50 pound battery to replace it with a new one. My dealer supplied a new AGM battery so I did not switch to lithium at that time. I am debating on two group 24 batteries which are lighter or one group 31 battery, but this one weighs close to 50 pounds. If I did not have to remove the battery or batteries each winter a bigger one would not be a problem.
      The low temperature won't ruin your lithium battery (assuming the BMS has low temp protection). The low temp protection doesn't allow charge or discharge of battery. Once the temp is above the lower limit, it turns back on and works as usual.

If you think you will be in below freezing temps often, you can get a lithium with a built-in warmer. The warmer will kick on when the temp reaches a certain point to keep the battery warm in below freezing temperatures. This makes the lithium battery usable down to fairly low temperatures.

You can find an example here: https://www.litime.com/products/liti...ure-protection

Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

The low temperature won't ruin your lithium battery (assuming the BMS has low temp protection). The low temp protection doesn't allow charge or discharge of battery. Once the temp is above the lower limit, it turns back on and works as usual.

If you think you will be in below freezing temps often, you can get a lithium with a built-in warmer. The warmer will kick on when the temp reaches a certain point to keep the battery warm in below freezing temperatures. This makes the lithium battery usable down to fairly low temperatures.

You can find an example here: https://www.litime.com/products/liti...ure-protection
        My area does not get a lot of sub-freezing temperatues, but last year it was down below zero for several days and in the low teens for a week. I had my AGM battery out already on a trickle charger. I did have my battery back in the trailer when I got 4" of snow. I checked after the snow melted and my battery was still getting charged up with the solar panel. Which would be better two 100ah batteries or one 230ah battery?
        Raymond and Dee Dee
        2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
        2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by reubenray View Post
          Which would be better two 100ah batteries or one 230ah battery?
          As with most things, "it depends...."

It depends on what your amperage/current demands are. Depending on the BMS used, but typically two 100ah batteries will give you 200A of current (2 x 100A each in parallel). Whereas the 230ah battery may only give you 100A. But again, check the specifics on the BMS used in each case.

Doing a single battery will also offer less wiring, depending if that is what you're going for in your installation. Two batteries will require the extra wiring to bring them into a parallel configuration, but really it's not that much more.
          2019 Imagine 2400BH
          2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by J & J Bumblebee View Post
            Hi,

The trailer has solar wiring but no controllers or panels. I'm going to add solar to our trailer very slowly, but first, I'm going to swap out the single lead acid battery with two LiTime 12V 100Ah Group 24 LiFePO4 Lithium Batteries, Built-In 100A BMS, 1280Wh Energy.

My trailer doesn't have a controller that will work with Lithium batteries ( WFCO WF-8735P-GE ) I'm going to install a similar model WFCO WF-8735-AD to take care of that.

I've noticed most installs are under the bed or inside the front storage area. What is wrong with installing them where the OEM battery is in front of the trailer? Would it better to install them under the bed inside the trailer with a different size battery?

I've ordered the 'Mobile Solar Power Made Easy 'book and will be reading that cover to cover when it gets here. I just wanted to run this by you here to help me get started.

Thanks,

John
            Excellent discussion.

If you don't mind me asking about your long range plans -

In your long range plan are you wanting to have an inverter? The reason I ask is while it may be more money up front consider a Victron Multiplus. https://www.victronenergy.com/invert...48v-800va-3kva I have the 3000VA unit in my trailer as I have a 30A service and wanted the whole trailer on the inverter to keep it simple.
            It has a charger, inverter and transfer switch in one unit and can be wired to run your entire trailer. The charger is programmable to match your battery selection and BMS requirements It can also be connected to thier solar controllers and battery monitoring. You can see everything on your phone. There are many other advantages too.

Just food for thought.

Safe travels - Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
              The reason I ask is while it may be more money up front consider a Victron Multiplus. https://www.victronenergy.com/invert...48v-800va-3kva I have the 3000VA unit in my trailer
              I don't know Keith, I think you're just trying to make up for everyone spending your money. ​​​​​ Smart move picking Victron equipment to recommend though, it's fairly steep in price, so that should help lighten up everyone else's wallets.

However, with all kidding aside, I do find their equipment worth the cost. So far with my experience with Victron, everything has just worked as expected and no surprises. The phone integration is great, and it is nice that all the Victron equipment can network together and share system parameters.
              2019 Imagine 2400BH
              2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Excellent discussion.

If you don't mind me asking about your long range plans -

In your long range plan are you wanting to have an inverter? The reason I ask is while it may be more money up front consider a Victron Multiplus. https://www.victronenergy.com/invert...48v-800va-3kva I have the 3000VA unit in my trailer as I have a 30A service and wanted the whole trailer on the inverter to keep it simple.
                It has a charger, inverter and transfer switch in one unit and can be wired to run your entire trailer. The charger is programmable to match your battery selection and BMS requirements It can also be connected to thier solar controllers and battery monitoring. You can see everything on your phone. There are many other advantages too.

Just food for thought.

Safe travels - Keith
                Yes, Keith, I do have a long-range plan, and I'm slowly building my system. I talked with Artek Energy, ( https://artek.energy/ ) which has a retailer near me. They are supplying the components. They use Victron, and I've purchased most of my components with the exception of the inverter/charger and the panels. Maybe this Summer I'll get them and install them. Two 200w Rich solar panels to start with.

Thanks for asking and for your suggestions,

John
                John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
                2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
                ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
                2017 Jayco 26BH
                2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3288.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	130848 This is what I've assembled so far. I have an abundance of 6 awg black wire, which I'm using, and some 8 awg red wire. My next question is, does it matter if I use the 6 combined with the 8 as shown here? I can just wrap red electrical tape around the black and use only 6 awg.
                  John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
                  2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
                  ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
                  2017 Jayco 26BH
                  2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

As a Victron fan, I wanted to point out Victron just came out with the Quattro II 2 x120v for those that have an onboard generator. Price is the same as the Multiplus 2 x 120V. I think I know what I'm doing for my phase II build
                    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
                      As a Victron fan, I wanted to point out Victron just came out with the Quattro II 2 x120v for those that have an onboard generator. Price is the same as the Multiplus 2 x 120V. I think I know what I'm doing for my phase II build
                      Just curious, but what is different between the two ( Quattro and Multiplus)?

Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Just curious, but what is different between the two ( Quattro and Multiplus)?

Keith
                        Quatrro includes an additional input from am generator. If you don't have an onboard generator, a Quattro is probably not the best choice.
                        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
                        X