No announcement yet.

Fuse Location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running from Gnats -- keep in mind that IF there is a 10A fuse in the trailer, it was installed to match up with Furrion's 95W solar suitcase. (If they make a larger suitcase I can't find it.)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      Running from Gnats -- putting aside the wiring (and possible fuse) in the trailer for a moment, I can't wrap my head around Renogy putting a 10A fuse in their setup for a 200W suitcase that has a 20A solar charger. Especially when the max current on the spec sheet is 10.5A. A 10A fuse just doesn't make sense (to me)--I'd think a 15A fuse would be more appropriate.

I suggest giving Renogy a call and asking them about it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Specs.JPG Views:	0 Size:	57.8 KB ID:	16051
      I had asked that question of Renogy prior to ordering the cells, having seen that in a few reviews on their website. Each reviewer went with 15 amp fuses and have reported it took care of the issue. The answer I received was (you're right, we have had reports of 10 amp fuses blowing and agree a 15 amp will work with the wiring." I asked about going to 20 amp and the tech suggested going with the 15 amp and see if that took care of the issue. The way he was talking, it sounded like he agreed these should be shipped with at least a 15 amp fuse.

The fact it burned a 10 amp fuse is exactly why I'm trying to find out if and where the 10 amp fuse which was supposed to have been installed in my trailer is at. I haven't heard back from GD and have been in touch with the service dept of my dealer. The service mgr said if the fuse wasn't in that first 6 inches or so from the plug, maybe they didn't put one in. He also said it wasn't impossible somebody put it somewhere else, though that made no sense since the fuse was supposed to be close to the plug to protect the wiring and the trailer and by putting it where it couldn't be reach would be foolish since it wouldn't be accessible. I'm still trying to to use the endoscope toview the behind the entire length of the bulkhead wall to see if I can see a fuse. Problem is some of the insulation on the front cap is up against the rear of the bulkhead wall and covers whatever is down there.

I'm still wondering if having the dealer take the front wall of the basement off is under warranty as this would be a legitimate safety concern. Any ideas on that? I'm willing to haul the trailer 100 miles to the dealer to have them find it.

As for the Furrion 95watt unit, it appears to be the only one they sold. Also I haven't seen any reviews newer than 2017 and wonder if they were even selling it recently.
      Last edited by Running from Gnats; 04-05-2020, 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling
      2020 F-250 Lariat 2WD SuperCrew 6.7L, Blue Ox SwayPro hitch w/ 1000lb bars
      2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
      Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
      FMCA # 489460

Comment

Originally posted by Running from Gnats View Post

I had asked that question of Renogy prior to ordering the cells, having seen that in a few reviews on their website. Each reviewer went with 15 amp fuses and have reported it took care of the issue. The answer I received was (you're right, we have had reports of 10 amp fuses blowing and agree a 15 amp will work with the wiring." I asked about going to 20 amp and the tech suggested going with the 15 amp and see if that took care of the issue. The way he was talking, it sounded like he agreed these should be shipped with at least a 15 amp fuse.

The fact it burned a 10 amp fuse is exactly why I'm trying to find out if and where the 10 amp fuse which was supposed to have been installed in my trailer is at. I haven't heard back from GD and have been in touch with the service dept of my dealer. The service mgr said if the fuse wasn't in that first 6 inches or so from the plug, maybe they didn't put one in. He also said it wasn't impossible somebody put it somewhere else, though that made no sense since the fuse was supposed to be close to the plug to protect the wiring and the trailer and by putting it where it couldn't be reach would be foolish since it wouldn't be accessible. I'm still trying to to use the endoscope toview the behind the entire length of the bulkhead wall to see if I can see a fuse. Problem is some of the insulation on the front cap is up against the rear of the bulkhead wall and covers whatever is down there.

I'm still wondering if having the dealer take the front wall of the basement off is under warranty as this would be a legitimate safety concern. Any ideas on that? I'm willing to haul the trailer 100 miles to the dealer to have them find it.

As for the Furrion 95watt unit, it appears to be the only one they sold. Also I haven't seen any reviews newer than 2017 and wonder if they were even selling it recently.
        If there's a 10A fuse in the trailer, you'll find out soon enough if you hook up the solar on a bright, sunny day. I don't see it as a safety concern if the fuse blows (just the opposite, actually). I'd put a 15A in the Renogy holder with the assumption there's no protection in the trailer. The 6 ga (assumed!) wiring in the trailer from the Furrion connection to the 30A circuit breaker is more than capable of handling 15A over that short distance.

Just my .02, but no way I'd let a dealer tear into my camper over this issue. Too many other ways to resolve it.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

If there's a 10A fuse in the trailer, you'll find out soon enough if you hook up the solar on a bright, sunny day. I don't see it as a safety concern if the fuse blows (just the opposite, actually). I'd put a 15A in the Renogy holder with the assumption there's no protection in the trailer. The 6 ga (assumed!) wiring in the trailer from the Furrion connection to the 30A circuit breaker is more than capable of handling 15A over that short distance.

Just my .02, but no way I'd let a dealer tear into my camper over this issue. Too many other ways to resolve it.
          I've replaced the fuse on the Renogy line and it ran fine all day. I am still uncomfortable plugging into the system without know about an inline fuse. I am thinking about putting a fuse behind the Furrion plug (at the butt connection about 6 inches into the trailer) and using a 10 amp fuse there. My thinking is that fuse should blow before any other one further inline would. Still hoping someone at GD knows if they discontinued putting in fuses or relocated it.
          2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
          Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
          FMCA # 489460

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post
            I have an email into our Imagine production manager, product manager, and engineer. I'll get some info and pass it along.

howson Running from Gnats
            I was wondering from anyone was able to verify the installation of an inline fuse or is the Furrion plug connected directly to the circuit brakers?

Thanks

Norris
            Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
            FMCA # 489460

Comment

Working...
            X