Long time wish finally complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long time wish finally complete

Finally completed the solar install I've been wanting to do. I wasn't concerned about going very big, just enough to keep the batteries charged when at the storage lot. Only used two 100 watt panels. I did use big enough wire and controller so I can upsize in the future. Had to remove wall cabinet in the bathroom to cut a hole in the ceiling and the wall to get the wires down to under the hutch. From there the wires run under the floor to the bedroom closet where I mounted the controller. To run the wires from the controller to the batteries, I had to remove the front wall of the storage compartment. Since I was this far into it, another thing I've always wanted to do was move the battery disconnect to the other side of the storage compartment. While I had the wall removed, I could see the wires to the front cap lights. One side of the lights stopped working shortly after buying the trailer. Never had it fixed under warranty because I didn't like how they were going to do the fix. I crawled in the storage compartment, pushed the insulation out of the way and could see the wire connection. Sure enough one of the wires had come apart. Even though we never use those lights, they are now fixed. I'm glad I didn't let the dealer tech do it their way.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Originally posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
    Finally completed the solar install I've been wanting to do. I wasn't concerned about going very big, just enough to keep the batteries charged when at the storage lot. Only used two 100 watt panels. I did use big enough wire and controller so I can upsize in the future. Had to remove wall cabinet in the bathroom to cut a hole in the ceiling and the wall to get the wires down to under the hutch. From there the wires run under the floor to the bedroom closet where I mounted the controller. To run the wires from the controller to the batteries, I had to remove the front wall of the storage compartment. Since I was this far into it, another thing I've always wanted to do was move the battery disconnect to the other side of the storage compartment. While I had the wall removed, I could see the wires to the front cap lights. One side of the lights stopped working shortly after buying the trailer. Never had it fixed under warranty because I didn't like how they were going to do the fix. I crawled in the storage compartment, pushed the insulation out of the way and could see the wire connection. Sure enough one of the wires had come apart. Even though we never use those lights, they are now fixed. I'm glad I didn't let the dealer tech do it their way.
    I put my controller in the bedroom closet, too! Made sense based on proximity and all the rest of the gear I have installed. Very smart installing wires capable enough to allow you to scale up later--running those dang wires was by far the hardest part to figure out (and execute).
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Congratulations on the successful install and repair. I get a lot of satisfaction out of working on these things.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
      X