No announcement yet.

Imagine XLS 22MLE solar input port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

howson, that other post is for mod's only, so I can't comment there.

TucsonJim, would the fuse on the panel side be close to the Panel, or the Converter.

As for Megan's comments, I would respond with, check your local rig. Mine are on the same lug as the battery. (This appears by design, since we've seen several vintage Imagines like this). IE, not functioning as a breaker. Mine setup will require it's own fuse/breaker before this connection point.
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

TucsonJim and mpking

Definitely agree and understand the inputs. There's so many variables between units it is difficult to have one diagram show all possibilities. GD's diagram (in post 1 in the Reference Material thread) is so basic someone who doesn't know anything about solar won't understand how it is hooked up. Unfortunately neither does my addition, since if an individual knows nothing about solar there's still a LOT of info they have to learn to "complete the picture".

I'd like to clean up the Reference Material thread by combining all the inputs into post #1. In addition to putting the drawing (and Jim's comments), I'm contemplating adding, "This is by no means a comprehensive drawing nor does it cover all the technical details associated with adding solar to your Grand Design trailer. Just getting started? See ...." and then I'd reference Jim's Solar 101 presentation.

Thoughts?

Howard

P.S. mpking -- Every Reference Material post has a "sister thread" for members to ask questions, suggestion additions, seek clarification, etc. The "sister thread" is always listed in post 1. The purpose of having a "sister thread" is to keep the Reference Material section as clean and on-topic as possible. (Pic below shows what I'm writing about.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	sister.JPG
Views:	709
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	30056
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
        howson,

TucsonJim, would the fuse on the panel side be close to the Panel, or the Converter.
        By "converter", I assume you mean solar controller. The fuse can be located anywhere in that line that is convenient. It is not position dependent. I mounted mine right next to the controller. An I used a switched circuit breaker that doubles as an on/off switch.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Wow! You all rock! Thanks to ALL of you for providing so much great info. I can't thank you enough. I had a long day at work, so I finally got back to look over everything and respond.

GDRV-Megan, thanks for the detail on where the wires end up. I assume the intended application is to use the bundle stored in the pass through to splice in whatever controller, fuses or other equipment is desired/required, similar to the diagram howson posted. All makes much more sense now!

howson, I saw some of the solar-specific pages but hadn't yet found the reference pages. Thanks so much for pointing those out. I'll check them out for sure.

mpking and TucsonJim, the exchange you had about the placement of the panel-side fuse is very helpful.

Thanks again
          2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
          2017 F150 Limited 3.5 Eco

Comment

I'm currently planning my own solar deployment, hence the questions on your questions. :-)
            Mike
            2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Working...
            X