No announcement yet.

How Your GD Trailer is Solar Prep Wired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Momentum 336M-R did not have a factory-installed solar controller, but the wiring was clearly marked in the front bay. Note the WFCO inverter mounted to the ceiling protected by a 100A circuit breaker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	336M-R inverter.JPG
Views:	656
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	94481

Name:	336M Solar.JPG
Views:	724
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	94480
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The front bay of a Reflection 337RLS (50A Furrion MPPT solar controller).

Name:	337RLS Front Bay.JPG
Views:	749
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	94483
      The wiring diagram is extremely useful--hope to see it on every GD model in the future. Minor quibble: as configured from the factory a 50A breaker is fine on the output of the 50A Furrion MPPT Solar Controller, but if an owner adds solar panels and maximizes the controller's output the circuit breaker could, over time, trip unnecessarily. A 60A breaker would have been a better choice IMHO to accommodate the full potential of the controller's output.

Name:	wiring diagram.JPG
Views:	615
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	94484

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Chad & Tara's new 410 Momentum (pre-production demo model). Chad was at the rig when I was there so I engaged him about the two battery disconnects. The second one is for the inverter input wiring (interesting choice to have that disconnect installed).

Name:	410 1.JPG
Views:	760
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	94486

There's a Jaboni MPPT Solar Controller, a WFCO Inverter, and an Onan 5000(?) generator all installed in the front bay. (!) Keep in mind this is a pre-production model so actual components on the final product may vary.

Name:	410 3.JPG
Views:	636
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	94487

Comment

A Solitude ST391DL-R had "just" prep installed, no controller or inverter. The inverter's wiring was 4ga, the solar controller wiring was 6ga. (The unit had the WFCO inverter control panel in the passthru, so I suspect the inverter itself should have been installed but in this specific case wasn't in the coach.) Note there are two battery boxes.

Name:	391.JPG
Views:	721
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	94490

Comment

Finally, a ST3460FL Solitude with prep--no controller, no inverter (or even the appearance of inverter wiring).

The point of these posts? GD is not consistent across their product line or even within a brand (as the last two posts showing the difference in two Solitudes has demonstrated).

Name:	ST34.JPG
Views:	664
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	94492

Comment

howson

It is also important to note that these were display rigs at the National Rally and they may not have been built completely with all of the fixins, inverter, solar controller to name a few. I would guess if it is an "R" model it will have an inverter for the residential fridge, non "R" models will not have the inverter but still have the prep.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                A Solitude ST391DL-R had "just" prep installed, no controller or inverter. The inverter's wiring was 4ga, the solar controller wiring was 6ga. (The unit had the WFCO inverter control panel in the passthru, so I suspect the inverter itself should have been installed but in this specific case wasn't in the coach.) Note there are two battery boxes.

Name:	391.JPG
Views:	721
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	94490
                Is it just me or does the appearance of an installed battery and what appears to be a 12V+ just laying around look a bit "UNSAFE"? Also note in most of the pictures of the battery boxes non appear to be properly closed (I now it's a rally and they are DEMO units), one would hope to have everything butted up properly for "SHOW".
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Hello - I am getting ready to install solar panels and controller on our Imagine 2600RB. I found the solar loop wiring, but nothing was labeled. The wires go to the front of the trailer and then through a hole to the back of the trailer. Any idea which of these wires go to the battery and which to solar panels? Any help on this would be much appreciated.
                  Blessings,
                  Kevin & Tracy
                  2021 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB
                  2016 Chevy Silverado 1500

Comment

Originally posted by kcgaz View Post
                    Hello - I am getting ready to install solar panels and controller on our Imagine 2600RB. I found the solar loop wiring, but nothing was labeled. The wires go to the front of the trailer and then through a hole to the back of the trailer. Any idea which of these wires go to the battery and which to solar panels? Any help on this would be much appreciated.
                    There should be wires behind the Nautilus panel on the wall or ceiling, red/black pair labeled solar. This should be 2 sets of wires, 1 will go to the solar panel, the other to the battery. Out front or on the a-frame where the battery connects there should be another pair in a loop/bundle which will go to the battery. The ones behind the Nautilus panel you will have to check with a meter to make sure you are connecting the battery ones to the solar controller in the right place. Please post some pictures as that will help us help you, and provide future information to others.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I was able to figure out the solar loop by using my volt meter. I was very surprised that the wires had no markings and when I called Grand Design Customer Service they had no idea how their trailer was wired. That was concerning to me, you would think they would have wiring diagrams. Anyway, we are now up and running with solar!
                      Blessings,
                      Kevin & Tracy
                      2021 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB
                      2016 Chevy Silverado 1500

Comment

We are about to take possession of our 2023 Grand Design Solitude ST391DL-R. We are immediately looking at solar. I have seen talk of a raceway from the solar prep to the undercarriage. Is this true? I ask because I would much rather prefer to make up connections and such off the roof. Plus a race way would make running starlink cables easy if I chose to do a rooftop mount. Thank you in advance for any help.
                        2023 Solitude ST391DL-R Solar: (tbd) Truck: (tbd)
                        Wesley & Kalyn Digital nomads Home is where the heart is. Work is where the internet is.

Comment

Originally posted by mcwes3 View Post
                          We are about to take possession of our 2023 Grand Design Solitude ST391DL-R. We are immediately looking at solar. I have seen talk of a raceway from the solar prep to the undercarriage. Is this true? I ask because I would much rather prefer to make up connections and such off the roof. Plus a race way would make running starlink cables easy if I chose to do a rooftop mount. Thank you in advance for any help.
                          Unfortunately the moderators do not have any info on the (new) 391 floorplan. I'll ask for them, but since this is a Friday afternoon it may be a bit before I can give you a definitive answer.

Usually there's a pathway from the roof to the area where the controller would be. I'd be very surprised if there's not a wire channel.

The Solitude ST3950BH has a similar floorplan with drawings I can access, but unfortunately it's not definitive (to me) if the wire channel shown on the door side drawing is accessible from the roof.

What the wire channel will look like on the roof is a plastic disc with sealant around it. Insist on having the dealership show you this on the roof (it it exists and you're capable of crawling up there) or have them take a picture so you know what it looks like.

Howard

P.S. Welcome to the forum, and good job on the signature line!

Comment

Here's the information I was able to obtain about your ST391DL-R. There's a "satellite prep" which is a...4x4 plate that is sealed over with self-leveling on the roof. And runs down to the passthrough storage with a wire that is attached to a zip tie at each end to be used as a pull wire.

Again, if you can get a picture of the plate on the roof and also the wire in the passthru with the zip tie on it, please post them. That would be useful information. (The power of an owner's forum is the sharing of information!)

Howard

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Here's the information I was able to obtain about your ST391DL-R. There's a "satellite prep" which is a...4x4 plate that is sealed over with self-leveling on the roof. And runs down to the passthrough storage with a wire that is attached to a zip tie at each end to be used as a pull wire.

Again, if you can get a picture of the plate on the roof and also the wire in the passthru with the zip tie on it, please post them. That would be useful information. (The power of an owner's forum is the sharing of information!)

Howard
                              Hi Howard,
                              I most defiantly will do. There seems to be a lack of Information out there with this new floorplan. My wife is shaking her head at my plans to virtually disassemble our rig from the start. I told her I need to get familiar with it and the locations of the critical components. Plus i'm reading that there is issues with 10' of flex ducking being poked in the wall with 24" would be enough. And as a industrial electrician opening some of the bays in the basement gives me hives. I would fire every apprentice I had if they turned out untidy work like that. Before I moved in to the industrial controls and physical security world, I did custom car audio and custom automotive fabrication. So I feel like Im a kid again. Thanks for your help.
                              Wesley
                              2023 Solitude ST391DL-R Solar: (tbd) Truck: (tbd)
                              Wesley & Kalyn Digital nomads Home is where the heart is. Work is where the internet is.

Comment

Hi Howard,
                                I most defiantly will do. There seems to be a lack of Information out there with this new floorplan. My wife is shaking her head at my plans to virtually disassemble our rig from the start. I told her I need to get familiar with it and the locations of the critical components. Plus i'm reading that there is issues with 10' of flex ducking being poked in the wall with 24" would be enough. And as a industrial electrician opening some of the bays in the basement gives me hives. I would fire every apprentice I had if they turned out untidy work like that. Before I moved in to the industrial controls and physical security world, I did custom car audio and custom automotive fabrication. So I feel like Im a kid again. Thanks for your help.
                                Wesley
                                Glad to help. There are many of us here that have done extensive rework of plumbing, electrical, and other systems in our rigs 'cause they were...less than ideal. In other words, I think you found the right forum. You'll fit right in here!

Howard

Comment

Working...
                                X