How Your GD Trailer is Solar Prep Wired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Your GD Trailer is Solar Prep Wired

The PDF attachment is from Grand Design and shows a basic solar prep diagram for Reflection TT, 5vr, Imagine and Transcend.

Own a Momentum or Solitude? They are wired the same but there isn't a graphic for those models.

The picture below is GD's original diagram modified with a few additions. It is not (nor intended to be) comprehensive.

Click image for larger version  Name:	solar GD enhanced.jpg Views:	1 Size:	96.5 KB ID:	30071

What you should get from the picture above is that you (the owner) provide the solar panel(s), charge controller, and the other components necessary to make it a working system. GD provides the MC4 connection and black/red wires.

A couple of points to remember.

1. Verify the polarity of the wires from the MC4 connection, i.e. that black is - and red is +. (The "MC4 Connection" is item A in the diagram above.)

2. There are other components that must be added to ensure electrical safety and convenience (per @TucsonJim):
    a) An On/Off switch is recommended between the panels and the controller (to isolate power coming from the solar panels)
    b) A fuse or circuit breaker is required between the controller and the batteries.

To repeat--the diagrams in this post are very basic. They are not intended to be comprehensive.

Just getting started with solar? Check out TucsonJim's Solar 101 presentation: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/r...4-solar-101-v4
    Attached Files
    Last edited by howson; 07-14-2021, 06:36 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Nice diagram but it doesn't show the how the battery disconnect integrates. Does the battery disconnect in the OFF position disable the connection between the solar panel and battery or do the solar panels stay connected thru the Charge Controller regardless of the position of the battery disconnect? Attached is the diagram I'm trying to complete. It would be nice if Grant Design provided a wiring schematic.
    Cheers - Doug

Electrical Overview.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by dugal View Post
      It would be nice if Grant Design provided a wiring schematic.
      Doug--there are well over 100,000 GDRV owners. There's been at least 100,000 requests for a schematic...but GD does not make them.

Originally posted by dugal View Post
      ...it doesn't show the how the battery disconnect integrates.

Does the battery disconnect in the OFF position disable the connection between the solar panel and battery or do the solar panels stay connected thru the Charge Controller regardless of the position of the battery disconnect?
      Hopefully the diagram below gives you a "big picture" view of how everything is connected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Doug3.JPG
Views:	2520
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	39484

Also--when you get a chance check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

These diagrams are helpful and answer some of my questions. One thing that isn't addressed is the exact location of the wire loop. Everything that I've read says that it is located in the storage passthrough, should I be able to see the wires in the passthrough or do I need to remove wallboard to access the wires? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
        Blessings,
        Kevin & Tracy
        2021 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB
        2016 Chevy Silverado 1500

Comment

Originally posted by kcgaz View Post
          These diagrams are helpful and answer some of my questions. One thing that isn't addressed is the exact location of the wire loop. Everything that I've read says that it is located in the storage passthrough, should I be able to see the wires in the passthrough or do I need to remove wallboard to access the wires? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
          They might be behind the water control panel, similar to what DVus723 showed on his Transcend. (Pic below is his with a self-installed controller.)

There should be a side panel that, with a few screws, comes off. The water pump should be back there, too. (Gee whiz info...)

Name:	DVus723's  Transcend 260RB Install.jpg
Views:	1335
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	90364 .)

Comment

If you remove the three screws on the vertical metal piece on the left (two of the screws are easily seen and the third is lower in the shadow) and then remove the three screws on the other edge of that left panel, you will have access to the inner workings behind that main panel. The wire loop should be in there.
            2021 GD Transcend Xplor 260RB
            2019 F150 Platinum 4x4, max towing package

Comment

Great, thanks very much!
              Blessings,
              Kevin & Tracy

Comment

In our 2021 GD Imagine 2670MK, The Red/Black wires from the roof and the wires to the batteries are bundled and stuffed in a little black cover located behind the water control panel toward the center of the pass-through. It is easily accessed without removing any of the sides shown in the picture by Howson. I wish I had a picture for you. It is about 4" x 6" and open on the top. It is held against the back wall of the passthrough with two screws. I never seem to have my phone at the right time to take pictures. I will try to do better 😅
                Attached Files
                Al & Ann
                F150 with Max Tow Pkg.
                Imagine 2670MK (2021)

Comment

Al - Thanks very much, your picture was perfect. I found the box on mine in the same location, although it didn't have the fancy label.:-) So now I am assuming that I just cut the loop and wire it into the controller as indicated. Thanks all for the help, I think this is going to be easier than I originally thought.
                  Blessings,
                  Kevin & Tracy

Comment

Al - Thanks very much, your picture was perfect. I found the box on mine in the same location, although it didn't have the fancy label.:-) So now I am assuming that I just cut the loop and wire it into the controller as indicated. Thanks all for the help, I think this is going to be easier than I originally thought.
                    Kevin, I think you are spot on with cutting loop. Hopefully the wires are labeled better than the cover. Good luck with your project. Saw a T-Shirt today that read: "Its not a project until you bleed". I hope this is not your case, but I totally get it.
                    Al & Ann
                    F150 with Max Tow Pkg.
                    Imagine 2670MK (2021)

Comment

Make sure that you do not have these wires connected to any power source before you cut, you may let the precious vapors out of the wires and put a nice groove in your cutters.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Kevin, I think you are spot on with cutting loop. Hopefully the wires are labeled better than the cover. Good luck with your project. Saw a T-Shirt today that read: "Its not a project until you bleed". I hope this is not your case, but I totally get it.
                        I will have to buy that T-shirt because that is the story of my life over the last few years, I'm always bleeding no matter how small the project.

Make sure that you do not have these wires connected to any power source before you cut, you may let the precious vapors out of the wires and put a nice groove in your cutters.
                        Good reminder Brian, I will make sure everything is disconnected. Wouldn't be the first time I took a little notch out of my wire cutters.
                        Blessings,
                        Kevin & Tracy

Comment

The next several posts will show pictures I took of the models displayed at the 2022 National Rally. First up, the "hidden" solar controller location in a Momentum 23G. (I wanted to take off the panel, but suspected disassembling the display models would be frowned on.)

Name:	23G.JPG
Views:	1113
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	94473

Comment

A Reflection 226RK. I wanted to remove the cover over the bus bar to identify the circuit breaker sizes, but again thought better of it as the GD employees there doubtless would not have appreciated me disassembling the models.

Name:	226RK.JPG
Views:	1132
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	94476

Comment

The Transcend 315BH and 335BH were both equipped with 25A Furrion MPPT solar controllers.

Name:	315BH Transcend.JPG
Views:	1084
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	94478

Comment

Working...
                              X