337RLS solar wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 337RLS solar wiring

For you 337RLS owners who have installed solar...how have you run the wires from the roof-top combiner box to the charge controller in the basement? What is the best route to take. Thank you!
    Rick & Betsy
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 RAM 3500 SRW Diesel

Originally posted by rkeesler View Post
    For you 337RLS owners who have installed solar...how have you run the wires from the roof-top combiner box to the charge controller in the basement? What is the best route to take. Thank you!
    I don't have a 337 (obviously) but noted this was your first post so just wanted to say "Welcome"! I see you figured out the sig line so you've probably already read the New Members letter. Awesome!

I'm sure a fellow 337 owner will be along shortly with an input to your question.

FYI, my 315 is somewhat similar in floorplan. I came down through the closet wall. Wasn't easy but it was doable. The whole thread is long, but post 11 will show the closet wiring: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/1...2272#post12272

Howard
    Last edited by howson; 10-06-2020, 07:38 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I don't have a 337 (obviously) but noted this was your first post so just wanted to say "Welcome"! I see you figured out the sig line so you've probably already read the New Members letter. Awesome!

I'm sure a fellow 337 owner will along shortly with an input to your question.

FYI, my 315 is somewhat similar in floorplan. I came down through the closet wall. Wasn't easy but it was doable. The whole thread is long, but post 11 will show the closet wiring: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/1...2272#post12272

Howard
      Thanks for the reply Howard. I've actually read through your install posts several times....very nice set up! As for the install on a 337, I've seen post where the drop occurred in the wall behind the toilet. Another option was dropping the cable down in the linen closet in the bathroom as well. I'm looking for what people have found to be the best route and any problems they've encounter routing the wire down in the basement and of course, the more pictures the better.

Rick
      Rick & Betsy
      2018 Reflection 337RLS
      2020 RAM 3500 SRW Diesel

Comment

Hey Rick,

You're in luck. The 337 is designed perfectly for an pretty easy run on the solar wiring. The picture below is from a friend of mine who also owns a 337RLS. His name is Brian Rowley, and he removed the wall panels in the bathroom to run the wiring. Once the wires were in place, he stapled the panels back in place and you couldn't even see where they'd been removed.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Brian Rowley.jpg
Views:	1329
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	31443
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          Hey Rick,

You're in luck. The 337 is designed perfectly for an pretty easy run on the solar wiring. The picture below is from a friend of mine who also owns a 337RLS. His name is Brian Rowley, and he removed the wall panels in the bathroom to run the wiring. Once the wires were in place, he stapled the panels back in place and you couldn't even see where they'd been removed.

Name:	Brian Rowley.jpg
Views:	1329
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	31443
          Thanks TucsonJim. Do you know if the trim around the edges of the panel is pin nailed or glued? I assume the trim around the exhaust fan was removed to allow access to the roof. Is Brian Rowley's contact information available...would like to contact him, if possible for any additional pointers Thanks.

Rick
          Rick & Betsy
          2018 Reflection 337RLS
          2020 RAM 3500 SRW Diesel

Comment

Rick - I sent Brian a request to see if he'd share his contact info. I'll let you know when I hear back. As far as the trim, all the trim I've ever encountered is installed with a nailer.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

rkeesler - Brian gave me the go ahead to to share his contact information. I sent it to you in a PM.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                rkeesler - Brian gave me the go ahead to to share his contact information. I sent it to you in a PM.

Jim
                Got it. Thanks Jim.
                Rick & Betsy
                2018 Reflection 337RLS
                2020 RAM 3500 SRW Diesel

Comment

I own a Grand Design 337RLS also except mine is a 2019 model. I was able to also remove the trim and paneling very carefully with a small pry bar. Hint: the bottom trim comes off real easy and then side trim comes off next). Once all the trim was removed then I started at the bottom right corner and slowly pulled out as the panel does not have very many staples holding it in place. Once I had it loose on all sides then I bowed it around right side of the toilet and then out of the bathroom. Below are the pictures before I started any mods.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3344.jpg
Views:	1319
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	33976Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3345.jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	33977Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3346.jpg
Views:	1315
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	33978

I was looking to get three path ways to the roof from the basement. One for the wires for the network cables for roof mounted Wifi Ranger (or like device) and two for possible future solar wiring feed cables.
                  Two of the pathways were fairly easy. The third one was a real pain. I hit the side of the aluminum bracing for the floor. Pic below.

Name:	IMG_3348.jpg
Views:	1206
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	33979

Continued in next post.

<--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->
                  Wayne - MD Non-Comm Class A
                  2006 F350 CC DRW (6.0 DFC Tow haul & Bulletproofed)
                  2019 Grand Design 337RLS

Comment

After I went into the basement and cut out a small slot in the bracing for the plastic tubing I was able to have three pathways from the roof to the basement.

Name:	IMG_3353.jpg
Views:	1239
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	33981

Name:	IMG_3355.jpg
Views:	1176
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	33982

Name:	IMG_3356.jpg
Views:	1336
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	33983
                    After feeding the tubes up through the top plate I had to squeeze my hand out through the ceiling and grab the tube with my finger and bend it down to come forward to the vent hole area.

Name:	IMG_3358.jpg
Views:	1195
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	33984.
                    I did find something that I thought was an issue that I wanted to solve before I put the panel back on. I found in this space with high voltage wires where they had screwed in from the kitchen side and missed the studs. These screws are sharp and the wires are just loose in there and could wear against the sharp screws I felt. So I took my dremel and cut them off and also did some wire tie work to hold things a bit better.

Name:	IMG_3350.jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	33985

Name:	IMG_3351.jpg
Views:	1149
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	33986
                    I will continue with pictures in the basement of how it all looks down there next.
                    2019 Grand Design 337RLS

Comment

Great pics. Getting ready for my install in a few weeks. Where did you get the blue tubing? Did you cut through the top plate then to the roof straight up?

Thanks for sharing.
                      2018 337RLS
                      720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
                      disc brakes, ems

Comment

The blue tubing is 1in ID Carlon part # 12008-100 ( Blue PVC Ent - Flex Plus). That is a 100ft spool, I had upwards of 50ft left over from running some network cables in my house through the garage where I wanted to make sure the cables were protected. This stuff is really tough. I have not yet drilled through the roof as WifiRanger has not yet released there Everest model yet. My plan is to purchase the WifiRanger Everest for the roof top part and the Spruce router for inside (I plan to do a mod behind the breaker/fuse panel to hold the indoor router. I plan to install two Mikrotik Wifi ceiling mounted access points in the coach. One in the bedroom and one right above the hutch/entry way. I have already pushed wire pulling rods both ways from the bathroom vent area to the kitchen and bedroom ceiling to verify I can get wires to them. I expect to start a new post about my rv network install as I feel the info might be useful to other owners.
                        2019 Grand Design 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by WRingling View Post
                          The blue tubing is 1in ID Carlon part # 12008-100 ( Blue PVC Ent - Flex Plus). That is a 100ft spool, I had upwards of 50ft left over from running some network cables in my house through the garage where I wanted to make sure the cables were protected. This stuff is really tough. I have not yet drilled through the roof as WifiRanger has not yet released there Everest model yet. My plan is to purchase the WifiRanger Everest for the roof top part and the Spruce router for inside (I plan to do a mod behind the breaker/fuse panel to hold the indoor router. I plan to install two Mikrotik Wifi ceiling mounted access points in the coach. One in the bedroom and one right above the hutch/entry way. I have already pushed wire pulling rods both ways from the bathroom vent area to the kitchen and bedroom ceiling to verify I can get wires to them. I expect to start a new post about my rv network install as I feel the info might be useful to other owners.
                          Enjoy your write up. I'm heading your way regarding networking the RV. Right now i am chasing a 3k Magnum inverter and four Battle Born batteries plus solar install this winter. Going to rest the wallet a little then onto the WIFI and Cellular boosters..
                          Gary F
                          2020 Solitude 375RES-R
                          2019 Ford Super Duty diesel Dually

Comment

Tonight I worked on the basement end and finished up securing the tube ends.

Name:	IMG_3367.jpg
Views:	1220
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	34092

Name:	IMG_3368.jpg
Views:	1448
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	34093

Name:	IMG_3369.jpg
Views:	1370
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	34094

Name:	IMG_3370.jpg
Views:	1129
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	34095
                            This pretty much sums up the pathways from the roof to the basement. Next I will be working on wiring for a switch in the convenience center to power the network gear. I will update this post with a link to the post where I document that part of the rv network install. I will put the wall panel and trim back on once I finish the wiring for the network equipment as it also needs to pass through this wall to get from the breaker/fuse panel up to the convenience center.
                            2019 Grand Design 337RLS

Comment

Does GD offer roof mounted solar as a factory option? If so, will the factory share info on where they run the lines? I’d want my solar controller near the command center, which unfort is at the rear of the 2500RL. Does no good to have it in the basement if you want to keep an eye on performance etc.
                              Mark & Judy
                              2021 F350 Lariat 4x4 7.3L Crew SB SRW
                              2021 GD Imagine2500RL

Comment

Working...
                              X