Victron 3000 Multiplus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victron 3000 Multiplus

For you that have or know this unit. Can you control the charge rate of the charger. It is rated at 120A and my battery bank will only allow for 100A.

Originally posted by JBRV2020 View Post
    For you that have or know this unit. Can you control the charge rate of the charger. It is rated at 120A and my battery bank will only allow for 100A.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update: Info originally posted in the next line is wrong (see post 6).

I looked through old pics of the Multiplus' settings--I don't see a way through the Multiplus' setup to limit the charger power.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the Color Control GX, with the ESS Assistant loaded in the Multiplus, I can limit the charge power in watts. Multiple possibilities under the MAXIMUM CHARGE POWER setting (once LIMIT CHARGE POWER is turned on).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Limit Charge Power.JPG Views:	0 Size:	38.5 KB ID:	38357

However...the question implies there's only one battery in the system? Why would there be only one battery in a system utilizing a Multiplus 12/3000? A minimum* configuration of three 100aH lithium batteries in parallel means the charge current from the Multiplus is split three ways to the batteries.

Let me try to explain. The Multiplus will output up to 120A of current per the Victron spec sheet. Assuming the Victron charger is in bulk mode and sending 120A to a battery bank with three 100aH LIFEPo4 batteries, each individual battery will get 1/3 of the Multiplus' output (or 40A). This is well within the battery's capability.

*A typical 100aH battery will output a sustained maximum of 100 amps. After inversion to 120vAC that is10A. The Multiplus is capable of 25A--but needs the input to convert. That's why a minimum of three batteries is needed. To get 25A of 120vAC from the Multiplus, 250A of 12vDC is required from batteries. Three 100aH batteries (each sending ~83A) will achieve this result.

All that math is why I went with four batteries (and my space limitations)--full capability from the Multiplus (with surge capacity) without draining the battery bank too quickly.

Hope some of that helps...

Howard
    Last edited by howson; 12-22-2020, 12:58 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

However...the question implies there's only one battery in the system? Why would there be only one battery in a system utilizing a Multiplus 12/3000? A minimum* configuration of three 100aH lithium batteries in parallel means the charge current from the Multiplus is split three ways to the batteries.
      I am using two 206A Lithium batteries. The only thing I do not like about them is that they only have the ability to charge at a 100A when placed in parallel (or 50A each).

Comment

JBRV2020 I am almost positive you can set the charge rate, but it requires the MKUSB cable and a PC or Android phone to do so. Mine came configured to charge at 100 amps and I raised it to 125 since I run four batteries. What I am not sure of is how low it can go.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I purposely set our Multiplus 3000 to 75 amps maximum charging using the USB configuration cable and a PC.
          Colan Arnold
          2016 Momentum 397TH
          Full time since 2016

Comment

colan, ncitro and JBRV2020

yep--missed it this morning. Not sure how I overlooked the setting (too early in the morning)? Sorry for the misinformation--I'll correct my earlier post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Charge Current.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	38395

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
              X