Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How important is a Battery Temperature Sensor connected to a good Charger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important is a Battery Temperature Sensor connected to a good Charger?

I found a few threads on this and from some I thought it was a sales gimmick for their charger. Then found some saying with a temp sensor installed the charger can adjust the charge profile depending if the battery is cold or hot and prolongs battery life. I know some of you have your systems hooked up with one. Are you seeing any differences with how your batteries charge? I don't want to nickle and dime my install but they are roughly $25 - $40 depending on the Inverter/charger I go with.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda Keith,

I feel its important from working on a variety of plug in hybrid autos and trucks over the years with several battery types. We monitor temperature closely. For our use I still believe its important since I do not like to rely on the battery BMS in a Lithium system but control the charge and leave the BMS as a redundancy. BB will state not to use a temperature probe and this makes no sense to me where they stand alone in that opinion. And their cells are sourced from China just like everyone else's.

For a lead acid battery, a charger than can adjust based on temperature can also add longevity to that battery technology as well.

Now for my Progressive Dynamics charger, there is no input for the battery temp probe for lithium, where I sized my charger to meet most all typical temp ranges at a charge level of 0.5C and use the temp probe on the Victron BMV712. Alarms are set to alert me if temps are out of range.

There are other charger makes that will measure temperature and will adjust the charge for optimum battery life.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
      Yoda Keith,

I feel its important from working on a variety of plug in hybrid autos and trucks over the years with several battery types. We monitor temperature closely. For our use I still believe its important since I do not like to rely on the battery BMS in a Lithium system but control the charge and leave the BMS as a redundancy. BB will state not to use a temperature probe and this makes no sense to me where they stand alone in that opinion. And their cells are sourced from China just like everyone else's.

For a lead acid battery, a charger than can adjust based on temperature can also add longevity to that battery technology as well.

Now for my Progressive Dynamics charger, there is no input for the battery temp probe for lithium, where I sized my charger to meet most all typical temp ranges at a charge level of 0.5C and use the temp probe on the Victron BMV712. Alarms are set to alert me if temps are out of range.

There are other charger makes that will measure temperature and will adjust the charge for optimum battery life.

Jim
      Thanks Jim Appreciate your help
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
      X