Need Help on figuring out our Solar package -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kim S. View Post

Check your wiring on the bottom of the charge controller. I had a wire unhooked. Power to the controller, but batteries were low and zero output. Reinstalled wire, system functioning, for now.

Kim
    Thanks, one of the first things I checked. Disconnected the wires and measure them as I read about the low battery causing it not to work. Also unplugged the wires from the panel to the roof connection box and measured, had good voltage off the panel. It is either going to be a bad connection box on the roof, or some wiring in the belly of the beast. My bet is the wiring inside the roof box, and I much rather have the dealer pull the box off, as they promised they could do it within a couple of days after I drop it off.
    2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
    2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Grand Design (and other RV manufacturers) frequently change components for a variety of reasons. Some of these reasons may be parts shortages, obsolescence, cost, functionality improvements, etc. We as consumers have little say when it comes to these changes other than to refuse delivery of the RV upon delivery if it doesn't meet our requirements. GDRV sells to a large spectrum of purchasers and they try to deliver products that meet the needs of most of their customers. Many customers would consider a blue tooth display option a significant upgrade. But I realize this doesn't fit your needs if you don't own a smart phone or tablet with Blue Tooth App technology.

As I stated in post #3, if you'll provide a list of the model numbers of the products installed in your specific coach, we'll try to located the owner's manuals for you. Howard howson provided you with a link to the MPPT controller owner's manual in post #10. What other documentation do you need?

Jim
      Jim,
      As I stated in another post here, I have the exact same setup as Kim and Deb - the rebranded Jaboni stuff and blue tooth controller. I think it's ridiculous that there is little regard for the customer getting what they paid for. This forum has been helpful. I also have a person at the dealership trying to get me a remote box for the coach. We shall see.
      Marianne and Dave
      Grand Design 2021 Momentum 320G Fifth Wheel
      2021 Chevy Silverado 3500 LTZ

Comment

I picked up our 328G on Tues May 25th. I have had the same problem and run around. Did a lot of research online and found apps that will allow me to monitor but no apps that allow me to control anything. This is absurd that GD provided no information in the "black bag" and can't even reply how we are to control our solar. I understand they can change things as needed, however, the solar package was a upgrade I paid extra for. I have no problem with having a BT to use it, but we need a app that supports it so it can function correctly. On top of all this, I bought battle born lithium batteries for my solar package and the batteries are not charging fully even though my panels are in direct sunlight all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Lflosi View Post
          I picked up our 328G on Tues May 25th. I have had the same problem and run around. Did a lot of research online and found apps that will allow me to monitor but no apps that allow me to control anything. This is absurd that GD provided no information in the "black bag" and can't even reply how we are to control our solar. I understand they can change things as needed, however, the solar package was a upgrade I paid extra for. I have no problem with having a BT to use it, but we need a app that supports it so it can function correctly. On top of all this, I bought battle born lithium batteries for my solar package and the batteries are not charging fully even though my panels are in direct sunlight all day.
          An unfortunate and (almost depressing) first post, Lflosi . As a fellow owner I share your frustration.

As I read back through this thread and did more research online, I am now convinced the solar controller in your trailer is a rebadged Renogy. (That's actually a good thing--I have a Renogy DC-DC Charger that is fantastic.)

The reason I can state this with some confidence is this video:

What that means you should be able to use the Renogy BT app you'll find in the Google Play Store.

I am not intimately familiar with this app so can't provide any further assistance with the actual usage. I did download it on my phone (just to take a look) and it looks pretty simple--click the + sign in upper right corner and (hopefully) it will find your BT-2.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210529-174547_Renogy BT.jpg
Views:	938
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	55767

Once you get connected we can dig in further if you'd like to troubleshoot why the batteries aren't charging. Of course, you're certainly welcome to call your dealer and arrange for a warranty appointment. This forum is geared more towards the "Do It Yourself" types with occasional support from our GD host, but your dealer or GD Customer Service is your avenue of choice for any other actions.

Good luck--and please report back with the resolution. Sharing information is the power of an owner's forum.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks Howard. I did download this app and it doesn't allow me to access it correctly. It keeps asking me for a password as if I needed to register with the app. But it doesn't allow me to create a account. Yes, frustrating to say the least and I will definitely post if I find a solution. My dealer has no idea how to work it and GD has not returned my call. I talked to the GD regional guy in my area and he deferred me to GD customer care because he couldn't find the solution.

Comment

GDRV-Emily -- if you're sneaking a peak at the forum over the holiday weekend, any knowledge you can share with us on how to connect to the "new" Jaboni controller through the BT-2 adapter? As multiple owners on here have noted, there's no instructions with their trailer and nothing on Jaboni's website.

This thread is now 20 posts long, but may be worth a scan to get the full scope of the issue.

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Lflosi View Post
                Thanks Howard. I did download this app and it doesn't allow me to access it correctly. It keeps asking me for a password as if I needed to register with the app. But it doesn't allow me to create a account. Yes, frustrating to say the least and I will definitely post if I find a solution. My dealer has no idea how to work it and GD has not returned my call. I talked to the GD regional guy in my area and he deferred me to GD customer care because he couldn't find the solution.
                I use the "Solar App" in the apple store. Clunky at best, but does show what seems to be enough to verify the system is working, charging, discharging as intended. Not optimum, but clueless dealer and random pieces along the way, the clunky app got us out and camping as intended.

Kim
                Kim & Deb
                2021 Solitude 310 GK-R, delivered 5/3/21
                20k Goosebox, Factory solar, 5.5 kw gen, disk brakes.
                2020 GMC 3500HD DRW SLT

Comment

The password to get access into both apps is: 135790123
                  I can get that far, but I still cannot figure out this solar system or how to control/operate it. The Renogy tip was a good clue. The "bag" included a tiny 2"x2" "instruction manual" written in broken english. I have high hopes for the Renogy site.
                  Ken

Comment

Funny (or sad) is we just picked up our 2021 349m and during the walk through I asked to connect to solar and he just said you need to download the app. I asked if we can set this up now and he stated he is not sure which app and will check, and continued with the walk through. Unfortunately we never came back around to getting the app installed.

We have basically the same setup as others posted above (300w Jaboni panel, rebranded MPPT controller with BT-2, Generator and auto-transfer switch).

When I got the rig home I spent hours digging through the bag of stuff and online for the correct app to download I finally came across a site which said to use the 'solar app'. It appears to be identical to the Renolgy BT app just orange. It does seem to work but is very basic and offers no advanced info, logging, etc.

I'm not impressed with this system but its early. It is basic to say the least, but if it charges the batteries and offers me off-grid power it will suffice.

I replaced the single acid battery with 2 300Ah LiPo batteries (Chins) and appears to be working as intended. They batteries don't fully charge when connected to utility power (as the converter is not compatible with LiPo) but changing the battery setting on the rebranded Jaboni MPPT seemed to do the trick to bring batteries up to full charge.

Comment

Solar app info from Grand Design. (I'll also add this to the Reference Material section.)

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Wileykid View Post

Thanks, one of the first things I checked. Disconnected the wires and measure them as I read about the low battery causing it not to work. Also unplugged the wires from the panel to the roof connection box and measured, had good voltage off the panel. It is either going to be a bad connection box on the roof, or some wiring in the belly of the beast. My bet is the wiring inside the roof box, and I much rather have the dealer pull the box off, as they promised they could do it within a couple of days after I drop it off.
                        As a followup on my situation, dealer replaced the solar panel (cross brace was cut short, and never screwed on properly) due to it being bad, and they also found in the belly of the beast that the factory put a screw through both the positive and negative wires running from the roof to the controller, shorting them out. All working now.
                        2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
                        2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

We just purchased a 2022 GD Momentum 349M with the solar package. It has a Jaboni controller, SC-30A-MPPT, with BT 2. I downloaded the Solar App and cannot sync with the BT 2 because it has no power to it from the controller. Tried all the instructions from the cheat sheet setup and reset the controller several times. The system may be working but I have no way of monitoring it. It has to be the controller furnishing no power or a defective BT 2 module. It would be a miracle if a proper PDI was performed on all systems!

Comment

I too am learning how to use the BT app. On my old TT I had a go power display that was easy to check on inside our TT so this is something new to get used to. I was able to download the app, access by the password and find the controller. The first thing I noticed was the temp is displayed in Celsius. How do I go about changing that to Fahrenheit???. Does anyone know if this is possible??? I do like the display for in the TT noted here and will probably add that soon to our 25g. Thanks for all the information. This thread has been very helpful.

Comment

I am looking at purchasing a 303RLS tomorrow. It has their current "solar" package. I am not sure what that is other then 12 volt 16 cubic foot refrigerator and I think a solar panel. Dealer wants to supply a lead acid and I told him install only for walk through. He can have it and he can give me some swag or something. I plan on installing some brand and size of LiPo battery to be determined. From reading other posts it appears the charger will NOT completely charge LiPo batteries. It does appear there is a setting for solar that will charge to 100%. Am I missing anything? What are people using for converter chargers?

Comment

I’m having the same issue on our 2022 Momentum 399TH. Although during our last Boondocking weekend we realized the battery blinks low after 20 minutes or so. Or turning on the heater. It doesn’t seem to be holding a charge despite being in the Death Valley sun all day. But i can’t say for sure as the “BT…” blue tooth option never pops up on my phone app. I might just follow the post about getting the screen accessory. Sad when you pay so much money for the best that you find out you can’t even boondock a weekend on solar. Ugh.

Comment

Working...
                                X