Need Help on figuring out our Solar package -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MKW View Post
    I am looking at purchasing a 303RLS tomorrow. It has their current "solar" package. I am not sure what that is other then 12 volt 16 cubic foot refrigerator and I think a solar panel. Dealer wants to supply a lead acid and I told him install only for walk through. He can have it and he can give me some swag or something. I plan on installing some brand and size of LiPo battery to be determined. From reading other posts it appears the charger will NOT completely charge LiPo batteries. It does appear there is a setting for solar that will charge to 100%. Am I missing anything? What are people using for converter chargers?
    Progressive Dynamics makes lithium-compatible converters. Should be very easy to remove and replace the OEM WFCO converter in your 303. Any questions, my fellow moderator Cate&Rob has a 303 and will surely be able to advise.

If you're going to get an inverter at some point, consider an inverter/charger (I have a Victron Multiplus). That, however, is very involved project.

Another resource for information is Battle Born's website. They have a list of converters they recommend to use with their batteries. (I'm a very satisfied BB customer.)

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by loconomads View Post
      I’m having the same issue on our 2022 Momentum 399TH. Although during our last Boondocking weekend we realized the battery blinks low after 20 minutes or so. Or turning on the heater. It doesn’t seem to be holding a charge despite being in the Death Valley sun all day. But i can’t say for sure as the “BT…” blue tooth option never pops up on my phone app. I might just follow the post about getting the screen accessory. Sad when you pay so much money for the best that you find out you can’t even boondock a weekend on solar. Ugh.
      What does your 399th have for a battery monitor? I'd read that Grand Design was (eventually) going to incorporate a real battery monitor (versus the simple four lights in previous years) so curious what your trailer has installed.

If it's the legacy lights, consider getting a quality battery monitor. Many of us on the forum have a Victron BMV-712 or SmartShunt. There are less expensive alternatives that work fine. (If the goal is to eventually have an integrated system that includes the monitor, solar, and inverter it's hard to beat Victron's setup.)

All About RVs has a video on the topic that is a bit dated at this point (some models may have changed) but still worth watching.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by MKW View Post
        I am looking at purchasing a 303RLS tomorrow. It has their current "solar" package. I am not sure what that is other then 12 volt 16 cubic foot refrigerator and I think a solar panel. Dealer wants to supply a lead acid and I told him install only for walk through. He can have it and he can give me some swag or something. I plan on installing some brand and size of LiPo battery to be determined. From reading other posts it appears the charger will NOT completely charge LiPo batteries. It does appear there is a setting for solar that will charge to 100%. Am I missing anything? What are people using for converter chargers?
        Your dealer may not allow you to leave without a battery. The battery power is used for the emergency brake if the RV becomes unattached from the tow vehicle. This is required by all states.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

MKW My 303 came with a progressive dynamics converter installed under the bathroom behind the wall in the basement. The model in my camper is not Lithium optimized (not programmed for charging the lithiums) however being a separate converter from the distribution panel makes it much easier to upgrade.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Converter-More.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	69713
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Took these pictures today on a new 303RLS arrival from factory at dealer.
            Not sure exactly what everything is besides solar panel. Do not know any details.

Comment

Working...
            X