Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 221RB pre wired for solar Question about on board charge controller)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 221RB pre wired for solar Question about on board charge controller)

Purchased my Trancend 221Rb September of 2020. It is pre wired for solar on the roof (no solar installed). Wondering if I install a say a 100 watt solar panel if the current smart charge controller will keep the battery from overcharging. If it’s on shore power it will float but not sure if it will on solar. TIA!

Originally posted by Lost@Last View Post
    Purchased my Trancend 221Rb September of 2020. It is pre wired for solar on the roof (no solar installed). Wondering if I install a say a 100 watt solar panel if the current smart charge controller will keep the battery from overcharging. If it’s on shore power it will float but not sure if it will on solar. TIA!
    First, welcome to Grand Design's Owners' (Technical) Forum. If you'd like to learn more about this forum's structure along with tips and tricks to get the most from your time here, check out the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Can you elaborate more about the "current smart charge controller"? It's unusual to have a solar charge controller without a panel installed in a camper.

To directly answer your question, I've never read of any solar charge controller that overcharges a battery (if properly configured).

For a simple diagram of what I'm referencing, see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/r...lar-prep-wired in the Solar Reference Material channel.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks Howard, I’ve read in the owners manual for the WF-8900 series converter that it has three stage smart charging, absorption, bulk and float. I guess I’m asking if the Jaboni port installed on the roof is then connected through the existing converter to the battery so that the battery cannot be overcharged and damaged. Sorry, I called the converter a controller in my first post.

edit: I’ve now seen your solar prep diagrams and it appears I will need to add the charge controller, fuses, etc myself. Thanks.

Bary
      Last edited by Lost@Last; 05-30-2021, 10:00 AM.

Comment

The WF-8900 converter/charger is just for charging the batteries from shore power - it has nothing to do with solar. (It also does not have a profile for lithium batteries.) If you were to install solar panels on the roof, you would need to also purchase and install a solar charge controller to handle that charging stream. Both the WFCO converter/charger and any solar charge controller you purchase are/would be designed to charge the battery properly without overcharging.

Rob
        Rob & Laura
        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
        2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
        2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
        (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Thanks Rob, I’m starting to get my head wrapped around the solar charging thing. I currently have a freestanding solar panel with controller that I use to charge my battery but am thinking it would be convenient to permanently install a basic system to keep my battery (future Batteries) topped off. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X