Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I do about the converter charger, no Multiplus II till August

Hello everyone

I have all of my solar panels, solar charge controller, cerbo and touch 50, 4 battle born & Orion DC to DC charger installed and it all is working. My question is I will not get my Multiplus II till August. I guess there are a lot of shipping issues due to Covid.

What should I do about the on board converter/charger? I know it will not charge the battle born properly and I am not sure if leaving the stock converter charger connected will cause any problem or damage.

I think I could disconnect the charger part and just run the battery charging off the solar panels and DC to DC truck charging.

We are leaving on a several month trip Tuesday. Some hookups but hopefully mostly boondocking. I have a generator to bridge the no multiplus gap.

What should I do?
    John & Beata, Waterford, WI
    2021 Reflection 337 RLS
    2017 Ford F350 Lariat, Diesel, Crew Cab, Demco 21K Recon 5th Wheel Hitch
    1200 watts solar, Multiplus II, 4 BB batteries, Orion DC/DC charger

Originally posted by John L View Post
    What should I do?
    Without an inverter it is hard to fathom exhausting four Battle Born batteries before they are recharged by the solar. The furnace is the highest 12v draw source and you won't be running that in the summer. The real problem, as I see it, is the lack of an inverter, not the converter/charger.

There's really no substitution other than your generator for the inverter unless you purchase something (almost anything) as a temporary stop gap to provide 120vAC to your camper. If it has LifePO4 charging capabilities--all the better for when you're plugged in somewhere.

Good luck! All the shortages are making life interesting. (Daughter's dishwasher broke today during our visit--nobody in the local area has a replacement in stock. Everyone is "taking orders".)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I agree with Howard, it will be hard to exhaust great batteries that far without an inverter. Your stock converter will not hurt them, it’ll just charge them really really slowly (probably 20A vs 125A on the Multiplus) also it may not ever get them completely full due to get voltage it charged at. You could get a converter pretty cheap, I bought a 100A converter as a backup, it’s got a setting on it to set it to a fixed voltage, which my Lion energy batteries love. It just runs at the set voltage at 100A until the battery BMS kicks in and shuts off charging.

PowerMax PM3-100 110V to 12V DV Power Supply Converter Charger for RV 100 Amp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F8MC45E...ing=UTF8&psc=1
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Hey John, I'm in the same situation as you. What I plan on doing is connect the existing converter that came with my Reflection travel trailer to the input of the Renogy DC-DC Battery charge that I use for charging from the truck. That way, I'll have a proper charger for the Battleborn batteries. (I don't have solar yet. Too many jobs to do on the travel trailer/tow vehicle before I start thinking of Solar).
        Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
        2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
        2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Working...
        X