Inverter issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
    So last night, I turned on my inverter, and immediately the inverter GFI tripped. This is the first time this happened. So I shut off all the breakers and turned the inverter back on. Then, I started turning on breakers and the when I got to the living room outlet breaker, the inverter's GFI tripped again. I thought there must be a problem with that circuit. But no... I repeated the test and then it tripped on a different breaker. When all the breakers were on, it tripped every time within a couple of seconds. It was getting late, and I decided to just leave everything alone and work on it this morning.

This morning, I went to start trouble-shooting and now, the only way I can get the inverter gfi to trip is to push the test button. I changed nothing between last night and this morning. Last night, the gfi wouldn't stay on at all. This morning it won't trip at all. .
    Ugh.

From the reading I've done, the inverters with built-in GFCIs are good for single device connections. In other words, plugging a device directly into them (refrigerator, microwave, etc). Inserting the output of a GFCI-enabled inverter into a circuit (or distribution panel) apparently causes ghost GFCI faults.

I'm a shadetree electrician (at best), but my .02 for those considering a new system (or a replacement inverter) is to stay away from GFCI protected devices. Typically these are the inverters with female outlets vs lug connections. (Not always true but a general rule.)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Ugh.

From the reading I've done, the inverters with built-in GFCIs are good for single device connections. In other words, plugging a device directly into them (refrigerator, microwave, etc). Inserting the output of a GFCI-enabled inverter into a circuit (or distribution panel) apparently causes ghost GFCI faults.

I'm a shadetree electrician (at best), but my .02 for those considering a new system (or a replacement inverter) is to stay away from GFCI protected devices. Typically these are the inverters with female outlets vs lug connections. (Not always true but a general rule.)
      That sounds like good advice to me. It's funny that I've never had an issue with it for two years.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Is it just me or do those battery cable look a bit small for 3000W? Should be 2/0 minimum and preferably 4/0. 3000W at 13V = ~230A
        -Rob-
        -
        Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
        2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
        2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
        Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by KamFlyer View Post

Is it just me or do those battery cable look a bit small for 3000W? Should be 2/0 minimum and preferably 4/0. 3000W at 13V = ~230A
          -Rob-
          Thanks rob, I’m running 2/0. Plenty good.

Comment

Working...
          X