Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proprietary Furrion Solar Port on roof

Hi All,

i know this is not a new topic as i see a couple of threads from a year or two ago, but as i started prepping to add 3 solar panels to the 1 that i have on my 2022 28BH, i now see that MC4 connectors are not used on the roof port or on the Furrion panel. Nothing is easy. Has anyone come up with a solution to convert to MC4 so i can move forward with this project? Appreciate any feedback.
    Al and Diane

2022 28BH - (6) Chins 100AH, MultiPlus 2, (2) 100/30CC, 1.4KW solar
    RAM 2019 2500 Cummins crew cab short bed
    PullRite SuperGlide

Are you looking for something like https://www.amazon.com/GrayBull-Indu.../dp/B07R7JGCGP ?
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by allenrude View Post
      Hi All,

i know this is not a new topic as i see a couple of threads from a year or two ago, but as i started prepping to add 3 solar panels to the 1 that i have on my 2022 28BH, i now see that MC4 connectors are not used on the roof port or on the Furrion panel. Nothing is easy. Has anyone come up with a solution to convert to MC4 so i can move forward with this project? Appreciate any feedback.
      I am not familiar with what they are using - do you happen to have a picture of thier connection set up?
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Here you go..
        Al and Diane

PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

I think Paul & Deb looked for an adaptor and just removed the Furrion and replaced it with a different box, maybe he will step in here with some info. I have not been able to find an adaptor so you might have to do the same.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Here you go..
            Boy those sure look like MC4 bulkhead connectors. If your internal cable is big enough there are connectors for doubling up cables. This is an example https://www.invertersupply.com/index...CABEgJdPfD_BwE They come in male and female set ups.

If you need to go with larger cables a new roof top box that can take larger wire is available, or you can use this for your new installation https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...CABEgLne_D_BwE

Hope this helps
            Keith

On edit - At the existing box looks like it has bulkhead fittings that unscrew it may be possible to just change them out to MC4 type. Also Josephs recommendation appears to be the answer Jlawles2 to use the existing bulkhead - oO are those Furrion single pin type? Then just change the existing panel connectors to MC4 and use the double connectors.

Second edit - you got me curious on what the port connectors are - cant find them. However if the unscrew, maybe theses will work https://windandsolar.com/Solar-Photo...t_p_1772.html/
            Last edited by Yoda; 02-26-2022, 07:16 PM.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Hi All,

Whenever "Furrion" is mentioned on this forum I have to restrain my response...the proprietary solar connector is yet another example where I have to take a deep breath before responding.

Cut those Furrion connectors off and replace them with industry standard MC4s. Replace the box on the roof.

Lots of options...one being AMSolar's junction box (that doesn't require MC4 connectors at all). It is what I used and I'm very satisfied with it. https://amsolar.com/rv-combiner-box/20-roof

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback. Looks like the best solution is to replace the proprietary Furrion connectors and roof entry plate with industry standard MC4 connections and be done with it. My enthusiasm is not high trying to scrape off gobs of Dicor to get to the roof plate to remove, but agree that the best way. Overall i am very disappointed that GD would use non industry solar components on their trailers as i assume many will at some point want to upgrade to support the solar fridges and other devices that are now being installed. I would have much rather had nothing and just solar prep with the wires already installed that a proprietary solar panel, entry gland connected to a charge controller with no apparent means of management or monitoring. My hats off to Keystone for their recent solar initiatives, using industry standards and best in class components. This i consider a real competitive differentiator as compared to what we got. Not a happy camper.

Thanks
                Al
                Al and Diane

PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Whenever "Furrion" is mentioned on this forum I have to restrain my response...the proprietary solar connector is yet another example where I have to take a deep breath before responding.

Cut those Furrion connectors off and replace them with industry standard MC4s. Replace the box on the roof.

Lots of options...one being AMSolar's junction box (that doesn't require MC4 connectors at all). It is what I used and I'm very satisfied with it. https://amsolar.com/rv-combiner-box/20-roof

Howard
                  Howard - another topic to add the the GD discussion list. The use of Std MC4 connectors. Whats strange is that box and connectors do not come up in a Furrion search. I did find the plug and adapter cables if I ever want to use my front solar port with portable panels.

Comment

If you added Furrion brand second and third panels in series, you could keep the Furrion roof box and connectors. See lhttps://www.etrailer.com/question-579993.html
                    2022 Reflection 150 226RK
                    2022 Ram 2500 4x4 short bed 6.7 Cummins

Comment

Hi all,

Good news, the 3 solar panels are now mounted. I already had 3 BougeRV 170 Watt panels in boxes available for free so the price was right. Bad news while they are there, they are just taking up space until i can remove the factory installed roof entry gland buried in Dicor and replace with one that will support MC4 connectors. At some point i will get this done so while we may never camp off grid, (at almost 70, my off grid days are about over), we will at least have enough power to keep the fridge going on long trips which in itself is a win.

Thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2871.jpg
Views:	1816
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	77951 for all the support.

Al
                      Al and Diane

PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

That looks great.

I wonder if the Furrion box can be dismantled to allow you to install MC4 connectors or if the Furrion connectors are molded in the plastic housing? This might be easier than removing the whole box and sealant. I have seen this box but did not get a close look at the connectors.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                          That looks great.

I wonder if the Furrion box can be dismantled to allow you to install MC4 connectors or if the Furrion connectors are molded in the plastic housing? This might be easier than removing the whole box and sealant. I have seen this box but did not get a close look at the connectors.

Brian
                          allenrude
                          Brian Per the photo in post #4 above I am pretty sure they are screw in (gray band is a washer) Al should be able to use something like this to change them out Don forget to get the pins as it appears they are separate, unless the existing Furrion pins will work https://windandsolar.com/Solar-Photo...t_p_1772.html/
                          If he needs larger wire or separate ones for the new panels i would just install a second box beside the one he has.

Just my thoughts - there are several ways to get this done.

Keith

Comment

Hi All,

Hi Allen, Sorry I'm late to this but I just yanked the Furrion crap and bought a generic roof gland. The hole left from removing the Furrion was a mess, but I sealed it up with Eternabond tape and all is good.

Paul and Deb Cervone
                            2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                            2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
                            2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

I'm interested in this topic as I plan out a solar upgrade on our 23BHE. It's quite annoying that this proprietary part is at the forefront of the installation.

I pulled up the manual for the Furrion 165W Rigid Solar Panel (https://furrion.com/collections/sola...lar-panel-150w) and noticed the proprietary "bullet" connectors pictured. I looked a little further and found that on page 7 it describes the "Rooftop Solar Electrical Box" and gives part number "FSEB30JWL-BL". A few searches in your favorite search engine will not reveal a whole lot, but at least I think I've found the rooftop solar electrical box part number.

Still a frustrating topic and I suspect I'll end up pulling it in place of something that follows a better defined standard.
                              Tim H.
                              2022 Imagine XLS 23BHE
                              2019 Ford F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel
                              Formerly: 2016 Ford F150 Lariat Super Crew, FX4, 3.5L EB, 6-1/2' bed
                              Formerly: 2019 Keystone Passport 175BH

Comment

Working...
                              X