Why You Should Use Tiltable Panel Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why You Should Use Tiltable Panel Mounts

Tiltable panel mounts have other benefits than just gathering more solar radiation. Check out the attached photo. When I did my first install, I used non-tiltable mounts. This prevented me from cleaning that section of the roof. You can see in the photo that leaves and dirt gathered under the panels. Even if you don't plan on tilting your panels for solar power, you should consider mounts that will allow for easier cleaning and maintenance.

I'm in the process of adding more panels and I'll post photos when the job is done.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Tiltable panel mounts have other benefits than just gathering more solar radiation.
    I was doing a lot of reading this morning on panels. Mono (vs poly) appears to be the way to go. Zamp Solar (out of Oregon) is sold by AMSolar, the guys I bought the rest of my gear through. The panels are a little pricey, but I suspect the equipment is top-notch. There are compatible tilt arms, too.

Will be following closely!

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Guys - question on the tilt panels.....are they manually tilted where you have to (or our wife has to ) get up on the roof or are they automated to use a remote or your phone via an app or something else ?

Thanks, Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

My tilts come from AMSolar and they are manual. Someone here has some electric powered tilts but as I remember they are extremely expensive. It's all relative though, right? If you're full time and not comfortable walking and working on the roof it's probably worth it.

Paul and Deb Cervone
        2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
        2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
        2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          Tiltable panel mounts have other benefits than just gathering more solar radiation. Check out the attached photo. When I did my first install, I used non-tiltable mounts. This prevented me from cleaning that section of the roof. You can see in the photo that leaves and dirt gathered under the panels. Even if you don't plan on tilting your panels for solar power, you should consider mounts that will allow for easier cleaning and maintenance.

I'm in the process of adding more panels and I'll post photos when the job is done.

Jim
          So... I'm guessing you're going to tell us you've never swept a little bit of dust under a rug, either.

Rob
          Rob & Laura
          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
          2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
          (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
            My tilts come from AMSolar and they are manual. Someone here has some electric powered tilts but as I remember they are extremely expensive. It's all relative though, right? If you're full time and not comfortable walking and working on the roof it's probably worth it.

Paul--did you get Zamp panels from AMSolar? If yes, is that three of the 170W panels in your picture? (That's what I'm considering, since I bought all my other stuff from them and Zamp is a USA-based company).

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post

Thank you, Paul......appreciate the info. !

Dan
              Dan & Carol
              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Paul--did you get Zamp panels from AMSolar? If yes, is that three of the 170W panels in your picture? (That's what I'm considering, since I bought all my other stuff from them and Zamp is a USA-based company).

Howard
                No, those are 3 - 100 watt panels from Renogy. I now have 4 which works great in my system since I only carry 2 - 6 volt Trojans. I've debated adding 2 more but I will not be adding batteries.
                Paul and Deb Cervone
                2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
                2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Working...
                X