RV Load Disconnect & Fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV Load Disconnect & Fuse

Hello; I am in the process of converting my 5th wheel camper to solar (2021 GrandDesign Reflection 240RL). I will be installing a new RV Load Disconnect and fuse, closer to the batteries. But I am unsure of the fuse type and size (amperage). I attach my wiring diagram.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Guy

Originally posted by Guy Planner View Post
    Hello; I am in the process of converting my 5th wheel camper to solar (2021 GrandDesign Reflection 240RL). I will be installing a new RV Load Disconnect and fuse, closer to the batteries. But I am unsure of the fuse type and size (amperage). I attach my wiring diagram.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Guy
    Did you forget to attach the drawing?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AoukeVoHOqD1gcUf...jRHuA?e=3dVx82
      oops, here it is

Comment

Look at the smallest wire connected to the circuit and size the breaker/fuse to protect that. Looks like 6AWG feeding the rig’s panel, but you also have some 10AWG connected to that circuit as well. Though you have breakers on those wires, they can only protect the wire past the breaker from the power source, so a pinched wire between the battery and breaker could result in a 10AWG wire carrying the load you meant for the 6.
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

But is that not the case for any busbar ? My MPPT controller and my DC to DC charger are "upstream" from the busbar (& batteries). The 10AWG cables for each of those devices should only carry power from MPPT to batteries or DC DC charger to batteries. Am I missing something ? (PS. I really do appreciate your feedback).

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Planner View Post
            But is that not the case for any busbar ? My MPPT controller and my DC to DC charger are "upstream" from the busbar (& batteries). The 10AWG cables for each of those devices should only carry power from MPPT to batteries or DC DC charger to batteries. Am I missing something ? (PS. I really do appreciate your feedback).
            You fuse to protect the wire not the load, so if you have 10AWG wire connected to a busbar fed with a 6AWG then you would want to fuse the 10AWG at an appropriate amount (30A) to protect it in the case it gets pinched and shorted.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Sometimes you need to upsize wire to make a layout work with multiple sources of power. Anytime you transition to smaller wire, each one needs an appropriate circuit protection device.
              John & Kathy
              2014 Reflection 303RLS
              2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Working...
              X