Solar prepped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar prepped

Hi we have 2020 221RB Xplor , this was not one of the solar setups that came out with panel on roof. Has a Furion 10 amp plug port on side , some I take it is prepped for solar, now if we wanted to add solar like a portable suitcase model , once we get it set up , do we just plug panel set up into that port and that is done? Never used solar before. Thanks
    2020 Transcend 221RB

The port is only rated for 10 or 15 amps, if I remember, so the panel output should not exceed that. Also make sure the panel has a controller on it or in line as there is not one inside the rv. Next you will have to make sure the wires from the port to the battery are connected , most are not. There will be an inline fuse as well.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by eagledad View Post
      Hi we have 2020 221RB Xplor , this was not one of the solar setups that came out with panel on roof. Has a Furion 10 amp plug port on side , some I take it is prepped for solar, now if we wanted to add solar like a portable suitcase model , once we get it set up , do we just plug panel set up into that port and that is done? Never used solar before. Thanks
      I expect the outlet to be like the one that was on my '19 315RLTS, but could you please post a pic of the exterior and then also of the outlet itself (cover open)? If the Furrion is currently wired to the battery it will be "hot" (you can measure 12vDC across it with your multimeter). If it's not hot, you'll have to find the wires that are not connected--should be near the self-resetting circuit breakers (typically under the camper, behind the "A" frame).

And yes--you'll need a suitcase setup as Brian described. A controller must be used between the panel and the battery bank (or you'll quickly destroy the batteries).
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

As Brian mentions, the wiring is limited to 10 amps. So make sure your portable array has a built in controller and the panel is limited to 120 watts 120 Watts/12 volts = 10 amps. Also the Furrion port is proprietary, so no other brand of suitcase controller will plug into it. But that is easily solved with an adapter similar to this adapter for MC4 connectors. The type of adapter you purchase will be dependent on the connection you have on the output of your solar panel's controller.

Word of caution: Do not hook up a portable panel without a solar controller.

https://smile.amazon.com/LIXIN-Indus...9&sr=8-16&th=1
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
        X