Solar Trickle requirements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Trickle requirements?

I am in Phoenix, AZ if that makes a difference. I have 2 225ah 6v batteries. What size solar trickle charger do I need to get to keep them maintained for each of these situations:
    1. The power switch in my storage compartment left on (so everything is OFF inside, but factory things like modem are still energized)
    2. The power switch in my storage compartment turned to off (I believe everything is off other than small parasitic things?)
    I see Amazon has 1.5w, 5w and 10w as the most popular options.

Thanks!
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 381m
    2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Originally posted by timelinex View Post
    I am in Phoenix, AZ if that makes a difference. I have 2 225ah 6v batteries. What size solar trickle charger do I need to get to keep them maintained for each of these situations:
    1. The power switch in my storage compartment left on (so everything is OFF inside, but factory things like modem are still energized)
    2. The power switch in my storage compartment turned to off (I believe everything is off other than small parasitic things?)
    I see Amazon has 1.5w, 5w and 10w as the most popular options.

Thanks!
    My son lives just south of Tucson. He uses a 10W version while his trailer is in storage and it works good for him.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

My son lives just south of Tucson. He uses a 10W version while his trailer is in storage and it works good for him.

Jim
      So will something like THIS work:

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Solar-.../dp/B07QBY7626

Is it safe to leave this on without it overcharging or damaging the battery? I know the standard trickle chargers are designed for it... But not sure about all these solar maintainers...
      2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

Originally posted by timelinex View Post

So will something like THIS work:

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Solar-.../dp/B07QBY7626

Is it safe to leave this on without it overcharging or damaging the battery? I know the standard trickle chargers are designed for it... But not sure about all these solar maintainers...
        I would think not. There is no charge controller listed in the specs. So you'd have to remove it when the battery gets charged.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

I would think not. There is no charge controller listed in the specs. So you'd have to remove it when the battery gets charged.

Jim
          I guess I would assume it would be built I'm as its advertised as a maintainer....but thats why I checked.
          2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

Jim
            OK, so after more reading.. you were definitely right that it didn't have a controller to prevent overcharging built in like a normal 110v battery tender would have. Reading reviews for that 10w one, there were a few people that said you can't overcharge the battery with 10w so you shouldn't need to worry about it. But a few reviews claimed their battery got damaged from overcharging. No idea who is right, but didn't want to risk it.

I got this instead:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K2T4RPH

It says it has an MPPT.
            __________________________________________________ _________________________

Just looking at my setup and some of the reference threads here.....The only thing my "solar ready" 381m momentum has is a channel to the roof, 10awg wires going there and then I see 2 not color coded wires terminating in my battery bay.
            1. Does that sound right?
            2. So there are not MC$/Furrion terminations in the battery bay I can connect to right?
            3. So that means I need to just use the alligator clips?
            4. How do you guys run the wiring? Currently I have the front bay locked on one ide and have wiring coming out of the other side. Works, but it's not absolutely ideal considering it kind of distorts the seal where the wire runs and also puts pressure on the other side latch. I wouldn't want to leave the front completely open open in case the monsoons blow it open more and gets rain in there. (Not sure if this is a real concern).
            5. Has anyone drilled a small hole in the bottom or did something else to accommodate wiring for a tender?
            Thanks!

2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

I think that's a much better choice with that controller! On my son's, he just used the battery clips.

When I did my first solar set up, it was portable. There was a small space between the landing gear and the bottom of the front compartment that I was able to run the 10AWG wires through. I put a connector right next to the landing gear, so all I had to do was plug in the solar panel and I was good to go.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie

Comment

There should also be a drain/vent hole in the bottom of the battery box that you might get the wires down thru.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                X