Furrion Solar Controller Wired Backward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion Solar Controller Wired Backward

After seeing some issues with what I felt was premature battery drainage I looked at the factory solar controller and saw the fault light was on.

As I started measuring voltage I found that GD seemed to have wired the wires from the solar panels into the 25amp out and the battery routed into the solar input location.

After switching the wires over to the correct connection points the controller started charging the battery. The light was flashing green and i measured the voltage at the battery.

it was very disappointing to see it was misquoted from GD. I’m surprised that would t be caught in QC but I’ve felt that about a few things on this 2022 trailer.

The TLDR would be, if you see a fault light on your Furrion controller, verify your wiring.
    Paul & Maja
    2022 Imagine 2800BHS
    2019 F-250 6.7 Powerstroke

glennco -- thanks for the informative post. The essence of this forum is owners-helping-owners and you taking the time to post the information is a perfect example of why this place exists.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

HI there,
      I suspect that this may be my issue with my brand new 17mke. Does anyone have the correct wiring sequence for this controller.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TNC View Post
        HI there,
        I suspect that this may be my issue with my brand new 17mke. Does anyone have the correct wiring sequence for this controller.

Thanks
        Do you have the make and model for your solar controller? If so, we should be able to help with the wiring.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Paul

I'm having the same issue with my brand new 23lde.
          Red light shows fault. I checked the wires and fuse all seem proper and correct battery.

I have tte new Furrion Net-Zero
          MPPT Solar Charger Controller.

How do I check if it reversed like yours was.
          Im not handy with electrical.but can get by with assitance.

Thanks ,
          Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Tango1 View Post
            Paul

I'm having the same issue with my brand new 23lde.
            Red light shows fault. I checked the wires and fuse all seem proper and correct battery.

I have tte new Furrion Net-Zero
            MPPT Solar Charger Controller.

How do I check if it reversed like yours was.
            Im not handy with electrical.but can get by with assitance.

Thanks ,
            Kevin

The first thing to do is disconnect shore power, then disconnect negative terminal on the battery.

If you can cover the solar panel with a blanket or something, this will remove power coming from the solar panel.

At the solar controller remove the wires that are connected to the PV+ and the PV- posts, this may take a screw driver or allen wrench not sure what they are.

With your multimeter set to DC voltage put the red lead on the red positive wire that was connected to the PV+ terminal, black lead to the wire from the PV- terminal. Uncover the panel and see what the votage says. If it reads 12 v dc for instance the wires are correct, if it reads -12v dc then the wires are backwards.

You can do the same test with the wires going to the battery, remembering to rehook the negative terminal.

Covering the solar panel is for safety so you are not handling "hot" wires, the same with the battery.

Hope this helps and I did not miss anything.

Brian, not Paul
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian,

Sorry about the name.
              I appreciate all the detailed information and will let our electrical person see if this resolves our issue.

Thanks again for your help.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
              X