Solar Controller Not Charging Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Controller Not Charging Batteries

I have a Victron 100/30 Smart Controller with a 300 watt Jaboni panel in my 2020 Solitude 385GK. The system has “worked” for more than two years with limited issues.

I have posted previously that the panel was putting out 30ish volts when not connected to the Victron but only showed 19 volts when connected. This resulted in a maximum of 175 watts. Victron replaced the controller under warranty, although the issue did not go away.

On my last trip, I was getting 29 volts, but the amps were down to 6ish, resulting in the maximum of 175 watts.

Now a new issue. Since getting home, I have voltage up to 23, but ZERO amps. The batteries are not getting charged.

I have gone through all of the connections on the Solar Controller and everything is well connected.

The one thing I have not done is remove the wires from the solar panels and check amperage. I did remove the wires from the solar controller and attempted to get a reading of amps and got nothing.

Would a bad diode in the solar panel cause the no amps condition. I don’t want to remove the solar panel to get to the diodes if not necessary. Needless to say, I am not mechanical, although owning a 5th wheel dictates one become educated.

Thanks for the insight.
    2020 Solitude 385GK
    2018 RAM 3500 Dually

Grand Traveler

There could be a poor connection between the solar controller input wires and where they connect to the underside of the solar gland on the roof. Unfortunately checking those wires means pulling away the sealant around the gland and unscrewing it from the roof.

A less-intrusive test is to measure the voltage output of the panel (with the panel's wires disconnected from the exterior connections of the solar gland on the roof) and comparing them (after plugging the cables back in to the gland) to the input voltage to the controller. They should match. If they do not, the issue is likely associated with the previously mentioned wiring.

Another idea (thinking out load) would be to buy a cheap solar panel from Harbor Freight (or another source) and plug it into the roof port. If the panel works perfectly, then the problem is in the 300W Jaboni panel.

By any chance is there a Furrion solar gland necessitating the use of adapter cables between the 300W Jaboni panel and gland, or is there a Jaboni gland on the roof with standard MC4 connections?

To directly answer your question, an intermittent diode could cause problems but it's not the first place I'd look.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson

I appreciate your response and insight. With the previous issue, voltage dropping when attached to the controller, I tested at the solar panel and was getting similar voltage numbers. Don’t recall if I compared the amps. I suspected then that inside the Jaboni gland was a connection issue but didn’t take it apart. I did find that one of the connectors from the solar panel had a broken arm, so I replaced it.

I am heading to Tombstone in a few days and will not be dry camping, so the solar inspection will have to wait until I get back. I will check the panel output, volts and amps to make sure that I am getting the same numbers. Then I will pull the gland and work on the connectors.

I have 3 more solar panels, so I can take one up to the roof and test it too.

Your assistance for me, and many others that came before me, is appreciated.

GT
      2020 Solitude 385GK
      2018 RAM 3500 Dually

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Traveler View Post
        I have a Victron 100/30 Smart Controller with a 300 watt Jaboni panel in my 2020 Solitude 385GK. The system has “worked” for more than two years with limited issues.

I have posted previously that the panel was putting out 30ish volts when not connected to the Victron but only showed 19 volts when connected. This resulted in a maximum of 175 watts. Victron replaced the controller under warranty, although the issue did not go away.

On my last trip, I was getting 29 volts, but the amps were down to 6ish, resulting in the maximum of 175 watts.

Now a new issue. Since getting home, I have voltage up to 23, but ZERO amps. The batteries are not getting charged.

I have gone through all of the connections on the Solar Controller and everything is well connected.

The one thing I have not done is remove the wires from the solar panels and check amperage. I did remove the wires from the solar controller and attempted to get a reading of amps and got nothing.

Would a bad diode in the solar panel cause the no amps condition. I don’t want to remove the solar panel to get to the diodes if not necessary. Needless to say, I am not mechanical, although owning a 5th wheel dictates one become educated.

Thanks for the insight.
        By chance did the connection to the battery become disconnected? That would cause the Zero amps reading. Did your disconnect switch get bumped off? Just brainstorming.
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

If the batteries/battery is fully charged the solar charge controller will not put out any charge, I panicked when this happened to me. If the solar charge controller is set to charge to "x" volts and the battery bank is already at "x" volts there is no where for the voltage to go. If there is a draw on the battery bank then the solar charge controller will allow voltage/amps thru to the battery bank.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yoda

I have checked the cables to and from battery and solar controller. All are secure.

‘’The converter will charge the batteries which suggests the cables are good.

I think howson has some good suggestions. I will work on the solar issue when I get back in a couple weeks. Staying in parks for the trip. So all is “well.”
            2020 Solitude 385GK
            2018 RAM 3500 Dually

Comment

Country Campers

Good point, but covered. I let the batteries run down below 60% before I do the troubleshooting.

As I prepared this response, I had a thought. Trailer is in backyard hooked up to 50 amp service. Just wondering if there is a transfer switch issue? While I don’t think this would have any affect, I will look at the issue.

Thanks.

2020 Solitude 385GK
              2018 RAM 3500 Dually

Comment

Working...
              X