Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall thickness near the pin box

Hello,
    I am just wondering if anyone can share how thick the portion of the wall is that is around the pin box area?
    To make a clean and weather proof installation I would like to drill a hole and install a cable pass through grommet for my back up camera cable in that area.
    Thanks
    BradF
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2023 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Gas with B&W 3710

Originally posted by BradF View Post
    Hello,
    I am just wondering if anyone can share how thick the portion of the wall is that is around the pin box area?
    To make a clean and weather proof installation I would like to drill a hole and install a cable pass through grommet for my back up camera cable in that area.
    Thanks
    Brad
    Are you talking about the metal shroud that is around the pin box (overhang belly)? Its not a wall but just thin aluminum sheeting. You should easily be able to see that. A picture of where you planning to drill would help.
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

It is pretty thin, I think around 1/16" thick aluminum. There are some cross member framing in that area as well, you can see a few screws holding it up. It will be a little tricky getting camera wires up thru there but doable. You may have to loosen the screws that hold the aluminum up to provide the space for the wires.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

You can buy a piece of 1”x48” metal flat bar to help with this. Remove screws around the pin box and insert the flat bar, use a crescent wrench to turn it 90° so it is standing up, gives a little more room to get the connectors pulled through. I fished a piece of paracord through first and tied/taped to wire harness to pull it back through.
        Craig & Theresa
        2022 Ford F350, SRW, CCSB, 7.3L, 4.30 rear axle, Lariat Ultimate, 4x4, Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist, factory gooseneck 5th wheel prep package
        New to us 2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS using a B&W Companion slider hitch

Comment

So the wire loom covering the camera cable is 1/2" diameter. I was able to get my fish wire through the gap next to the pin box and then back to the front compartment, but not able to pull the loom. I did loosen the screws in the general area, but still way to narrow. I don't want to mess up the cable, so I was going to just bring the cable up from the front compartment and then down through the aluminum skin. I can do this with a weather proof cable connector as long as the panel is not more than 1/4" thick. So I guess the real question is there any plywood backing up the aluminum in that area.
          Thanks,
          BradF
          2016 Reflection 27RL

Comment

Originally posted by BradF View Post
            So the wire loom covering the camera cable is 1/2" diameter. I was able to get my fish wire through the gap next to the pin box and then back to the front compartment, but not able to pull the loom. I did loosen the screws in the general area, but still way to narrow. I don't want to mess up the cable, so I was going to just bring the cable up from the front compartment and then down through the aluminum skin. I can do this with a weather proof cable connector as long as the panel is not more than 1/4" thick. So I guess the real question is there any plywood backing up the aluminum in that area.
            Thanks,
            No backing.

However keep trying as you should be able to get it through. Look up my DC-DC thread as I fished 2-4/0 cables through there - a lot larger than what your doing.. The bat insulation might be causing you issues - try to hug the skin. Instead of cutting a hole, consider the side of the pin box. I had spare holes in mine that I used.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda OK, I am going to give it another try. Thanks for the advice!
              BradF
              2016 Reflection 27RL

Comment

I ran my DC to DC wiring, as well as my Ford TPMS and camera wiring up from the pinbox into the area under the bed, then back to above the front storage and down into that compartment, was way easier than fishing those wires through there. You need to pull the cover from the front half of the bed, then seal the hole. I ran the wires along the side of the bed so they could not get snagged with anything we put under there.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro thanks for sharing how you made your wire routing project work. Sounds like a good way to get a large wire bundle to the front. I will look under there and see if I can do that as well.
                  Is there anything special or concerning about how to get up there from the pin box and then down into the front compartment from the under-bed storage area?
                  Thanks again!
                  Brad
                  BradF
                  2016 Reflection 27RL

Comment

Nope, just plywood as I recall.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                    X